1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by harinisripada, May 10, 2009.

1. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

This is the situation: I have two cousins (unrelated to each other !!) in their early 40s... both PhDs, wonderful careers, wonderful cooks, successful with their hobbies... take care of their old parents nicely... and both of them are wonderful girls - helpful, considerate, loving... And I am very close and friendly with both...

One is divorced twice (A) and continuing in her career, the other is never married (B) and never wants to marry....

Now comes my question: When I act loving with my son or my husband in front of my divorced cousin (A) or when I am having a fight with my husband in front of my never married cousin (B), my mother objects...

She says A will feel sad at my happiness and B will be more convinced not to marry if she sees me fighting with my husband...

I dont agree ... They are quite confident of themselves and have their own minds...

B will anyway never marry, whether I fight with DH or not... and A will feel happy for me ...

Of course, I dont want to make A sad... so I stopped being loving in front of her ... but it feels false and dishonest because I am quite close to her...

And B changed her opinion in favor of marriages only after seeing me mostly OK with DH, although still not agreed to get married... otherwise she has seen mostly bad ones from her childhood...
    So B's parents are still hoping to get her married...

I would like your opinions ....

2. Kalyanie

Kalyanie New IL'ite

Well, I think your mom is right Harini....
    It makes your cousin (A) sad when she sees you enjoying your family life. Its not because she is jealous on you, but its she is alone... She may not like her hubby due to her personal problems, but she would still miss her family life.... So please do not make her sad by exposing your blessed life in front of her.

Secondly your cousin (B) has her own reasons for not getting married, its upto her. if you talk about your real life (including goods and bads) in general that would help her to come up for a good decision in her life, but if you keep telling her the bad parts of your life (mean, the fights with your DH), that would really add more value to her anti marriage openion.

Hope this clarifies...

3. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

Dear Harini,

I would probably agree with your mother's approach - IF I can believe that you are the ONLY married person / couple your cousins ever get to see in their life and they do not watch TV/movie shows. But its not so & never going to be like that. Both of them are educated, has exposure to this world...how many such married people can they escape from?

Acutally, the more natural you act, the more they will feel at home. Because if you try to act different to "avoid" hurting them, they would be intelligent enough to sense that & would be hurt more, because in a way you are making them aware of their current marital status.

So I feel its best that you continue as your natural self & help them develop the courage to face the world, where there LOT of married (happily or unhapilly) married coulples. The only thing you must conciously do it - avoid any remarks or judgemental comments on their single status.

Hope I am not hurting any sentiments here.

4. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Harini ,

I beg to differ here that your cousins would be sad or change their attitude towards life on seeing how you behave with your hubby.If you were talking of 16 year old juvenile then probably your mother is right as adolescents are more influenced by the people and relationships around them.These ladies are 40+ intellectuals and have seen enough life to decide what is right for them.

I agree with InfiniteHopes that you need not put a facade in front of them just to belie your feelings.You can be yourself and I am sure that is the way they would love you to be while interacting without any inhibitions on if you are affecting their judgements on life.

I would say that if try to pretend to be someone else then they might sense it and intrepret it as pity towards them which I don't think they deserve.Moreover marriage is not everything in life.Who knows your accomplished cousins are quite happy being single and as you construe they might not be longing for a companion.

As you said that B no longer has insular views on relationship/marriage but is still not open to the proposal of marriage,I would say she is taking one step at a time to efface the memories of bad relationships she has seen in the past.

Harini be yourself and I am sure your cousins would be more open to you.

5. harinisripada

Yeah... thats what I feel... I am normal and natural with them... but my mom sometimes makes me feel I'm doing something wrong... Although, if there is a function, they are the first ones to get new clothes from my mom (They are the oldest set of cousins!) and any new recipe, they will get the first call from my mom, she really pampers them...

Their single or marital status never bothered me, nor do I ever make any comments ever... We just enjoy each others company ...

In olden days they would not invite singles to marriages etc ... that might have been because of the fact that they might feel sad...
    but now, women have so many other achievements to feel proud of, marriage is not the be all and end all in life...

And the fact is they both are happy with their status... so it should not make any difference how I behave with my family in front of them...

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Be yourself..
    try not to change for others.

7. lillytulips

lillytulips New IL'ite

I completely agree with your mom. Surrounding still impact us no matter how matured and independent we are. It is very nice of your mom to ask you to be very considerate to them :thumbsup.

I would be just a bit more careful when with cousin A just to make sure she does not feel left out or lonely.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I agree with Sabitha here.. I dont think they would be influenced by your behaviour. If they did, both of them would be married by now just like you.
    I am sure your cousins have their maturity level good enough to decide what best they want in life.

It is just that your mom is so much in love with them that she doesnt want them to be offended. For all you know, your cousins wouldnt even be thinking about any married life as a benchmark. Your mommy dear is just getting worked up. :) Pass a casual comment sometime and tell her your husband was upset because you werent yourself infront of the divorced cousin .. and you were just trying to behave like you had a problem. Mommy dear will spring into action and ask you not to overdo. :) End of the day, she wants her daughter too to be be happy. So, this way she will understand that you are making efforts but then at the cost of yours and your husband's happiness !

Dont worry, your cousins may not even be thinking on the same lines as you and your mommy.. :) They must be just enjoying your company. Leave it at that.

Take care..

9. harinisripada

Yeah, Preethi... you're right about my mom !!!

Thanx for your response.

10. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Hi Harini,
    If your mom is correct dont your think u r doing unjustice to ur husband n son. Just be as you are with ur family in very dignified manner.
    Again its a two way process, its not only you understand them but they also needs to understand that u r married n can have ups n downs with ur dh, son. I belv they are much matured ladies n very well understand this.
    So dont worry n chill