1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mangalsutra/Thaali question

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by MrsV, Nov 18, 2008.

1. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Question for you intelligent and wise ladies.. do you all wear your Mangalsutra/Thaali everyday? Mine is a small locket, and I've been wearing all along. My issue is that I always wanted a traditional Thaali w/o an Aum or design on it, my MIL figured a modern Thaali would work best and is gung ho about wearing it all the time, though she has not made said anything to me YET!!

So when I go to India this year, is it ok for me to a Thaali that is traditional? Or is it something you get once and you wear it always? It's weird, people usually like modern, and here I want to go traditional bonk and if so what do I do with the original? Can I keep it? My parents are so cool, they said a Thaali is a symbol of your wedding, and it is a piece of jewelry, so if I want to change it, then so be it or if you want to keep it, then do so? And of course, as always I am so indecisive and I am confused because I want to do the right thing.

Please help.. :confused2:

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear V ,

Changing the mangalsutra is absolutely fine I suppose.. After all it is you who has to wear it ! Imagine the chain got cut and then what ? You would have changed it isnt ??? So as far as you respect your sentiments I feel you chould go ahead.. It doesnt mean you should never change or remove it .. It all depends on the individual.. Few feel it is alright to not wear it as that doesnt really symbolises marriage and everything lies in the heart instead.. Fair enough. It is each ones decision to wear it or not..
    So if you want to change the chain or the pattern.. it is all upto you.

And for your question of wether I wear it all the time ! YES I DO !! :) I somehow before marriage thought I wanted to change the long chain into a small one like a smal one lacing the neck.. but I swear.. never know when the adrenaline gushes !! :) I didnt feel like removing.. But I did change the chain as the previous one had a small break.

GO ahead, and wear your jwellery with love !! :)

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hey V,

I was also thinking of getting a new mangalsutra from the one I already have. For this Christmas actually I asked for a mangalsutra with all black beads short chain, with diamond pendant. However, I was also wondering what to do with the first one??? It was given with love so I'm feeling bad about wanting a new one...

Because diamond one is expensive we were thinking to sell my original one to get the new one. The original one was not given to me at time of marriage (go see my other mangalsutra reply as to WHY) so is selling it a bad thing? What happens if I miss it afterwards?

Thanks V, your question came up just at the right time as I'm also wondering what to do!!! I guess it depends how attached you are to your current one and how much you want a different one, right? It'd also be interesting to hear whether the ladies here opted for traditional or modern mangalsutra, what design, etc.? Great question V, Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I do wear mine all the time and just like Preethi,am very sentimentally attached to it.More than me ,I think hubby is more sentimentally attached to my Thaali.:rotfl

I have never removed it in these 8 yrs except last Saturday when I had to remove it to do an MRI.I felt awful and more than me,the radiologist (an American lady) felt more awful when I explained the significance of it to her.But there was no choice and so had to remove it.

If it has to be changed,Mrs.V,then you have to remove it..what else to do?

I remember my mom had prayed for something to happen during our hard times and she pledged to have the thaali(the small leaf design one used in Keralite weddings) dropped at the Tirupathi Hundi if her prayers were answered.She did do it and got a new one in its place.So,I guess,it depends on each one's situations and what they end up doing when such a situation arises.

5. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

OMG... is it only me, I just wear my mangalsutra it when my flight lands in India..(not coz of my in-laws, but my momRant) and remove it when i get back to UK:hide:... i mean i have My wedding ring though , it means more to me than anything in the world so i never remove that... i have a thaali and a small black beads one with a small pendant... thats nice i do wear that in India or sumdesi partys.

6. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Traditionally my thaali should be an Aalilathaali (thaali in the shape of a betel leaf, some argue serpent head) and I wanted it prayed upon in Guruvayoor which my in-laws did. Don't get me wrong, I like my thaali but I just wish that my MIL did not get me a modern thaali.. she got me one similar to hers, and I dont'like it at all. For BIL"s wedding this time around, her family brought the thaali. Now I am attached to my thaali, but some issues that I have..

My BIL's wife is a crazy lunatic and to win points with my MIL, she said she will keep all the wedding jewelwry that my MIL had bought to gift me for my wedding (she got married a year before).. and I sincerely believe a thaali should be a gift from the groom to his wife, and no other women (except for his mom) should have anything to do with it.. and to make matters worse, she's BIL's second wife, so the whole thing kind of did not gel with with my parents and me of course..

My thaali is not the traditional Nair thaali - I love the significance on traditional jewelery (though I wear nothing)bonk

The priest who married us, asked us to give a Thaali in a Devi temple, so we are planning to give two: one to Chottanikara and Mookambika (my mom asked for blessing for our marriage, so we will) and I want something similar to what I have given the Devis (and of course will be blessed in all three temples)

I don't think I can get rid of this one because I was married with it, and I am a pack rat and have a sentimental attachment to everything under the sun.

7. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

I wouldn't sell it, do you think you get diamonds encrusted in your Mangalsutra?

8. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Of course it's OK for you to choose the design for your thali. You are the one who is wearing it, after all!!!

You can always convert the original into some other piece of jewelry by melting down its gold. Or you can keep it if you want. This is really up to you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

You know,Mrs.V,I too love that traditional thaali of ours-the aalila one.A simple leaf,that's all.Mine is the traditional Iyengar one,given by the groom's side,but like you,I am also sentimentally attached to it,eventhough I wouldn't mind getting one extra aalila and attaching that too to the already heavy thaali that I have!Big Laugh

10. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

girls love shiny stuff :thumbsup:rotfl

Let's see when I head to India - we have to give the thaali to the temples, so I might just use that excuse.. :hide: