1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Work Offer - Dilemma of my Partner

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Nithya39, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Nithya39

Nithya39 Senior IL'ite

At last my partner got a job (after 4 years) .... though not the salary package which he was drawing last, but reasonable one.

The company is a Tier-3 company we can say. And post similar to AGM. He
    joined also.

Now, within a week, he got offer in another company Tier-1 grade company.
    But the position is DPM, ie. two levels less than AGM.

But incidentally both are having the same package. (i.e. same salary)

Now, he is in a dilemma whether to accept it or not. He feels that in a Tier-1 company, though the grade is less, duration of job assurance is more. But at the same time, he is not sure whether he will be able to cope up with working in a lesser grade., mainly am skeptical about it, as i know his character.

So, now we are thinking what to do, whether to accept the lower grade or
    continue to be Tier3- AGM.

Can you all pls guide me, what can i suggest to my partner.

Am posting it here, mainly to get more insights of what i can suggest to my partner. I want to know what will you suggest to your partner, in this situation.

I dont want him to regret anything later, so want to do thorough analysis before he decides which to take.

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I would recommend working for the company which gives higher designation, if the salary package is the same..and if your partner leaves a company within a week after joining will it not affect his career..

1 person likes this.
  3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Grade or salary are different things, but leaving a company in a week is not a good idea. It's not good to break the trust of the company which offered him a job & which he already joined. It is always good to exit a job by leaving a good impression.

1 person likes this.
  4. Justanotherwife

Justanotherwife IL Hall of Fame

I would also recommend to continue where he joined already as the package is the same. He will have more opportunity to grow in this current company than in the new company.

5. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Like everyone has pointed out it will reflect badly on his CV that he left the company in a week. Everything being equal, present job is better,

6. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Such issues cannot be decided by public opinion. He should choose the offer/ job which is comfortable to him.

7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Nithya39,

It is not surprising that the larger company would offer a lower designation. Larger companies simply have more layers of management, so a DPM in the larger company may be equivalent to an AGM in the smaller company.

Leaving the current position after just one week ... while it's not a wonderful thing to do, it will soon be forgotten. He does not have to mention this job on his resumé in the future.

His post in the Tier 1 company will be far more impressive on his resumé than a higher designation in the Tier 3 company.

His chances of advancement would be higher in the Tier 1 company, simply because large companies have more openings.

I would advise him to take the job in the bigger company.

2 people like this.
  8. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Can't remember exactly the company name, but once we had a PPO talk by a start-up CEO.. theme was something like "Big fish in a small ocean OR small fish in a big ocean"..
    My deduction was:
    a. entry level job.. a big fish in a big pond would be better.. you can learn, show your skills, gain recognition etc...pay package will be peanuts
    b. Mid-career.. small fish in a big pond.. job security at the cost of slow growth

2 people like this.
  9. Nithya39

Nithya39 Senior IL'ite

Thankyou all for the inputs. As indoc has highlighted, my partner also feels job security is more needed for him now. He had been so much depressed for the past 4 years without job.

Though i was thinking that career growth is important, he feels job security is more important. He is willing to compromise on career growth. I really dont know how he will manage in a lower position, but as of now, i am supporting his decision.

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Best wishes to you both, @Nithya39! :thumbsup