1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disrespectful spouse

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweetyk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am very unhappy today. My DH will be very disrespectful for small reasons. When he will get pissed off and use bad language I can not guess.

Example, I came from work and offered my DH tea. Now he thinks I changed the tea powder and started using bad language and started calling names.

I kept calm for some time and told him, I will not accept any such language and will take action if he repeats this. He is quite and I drafted an email saying I demand to be respected and dignity etc.

This is a pattern always. I work so hard doing all house hold chores with oiut any help from him and also my job, baby.

How do I make him respect me, use decent language etc.

Any suggestions please share. I wanted to feel lite and so writing here.

regards,
    sweety

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Demanding respect may not work. Get him involved. Tell him to get whatever tea powder he likes and that you will use that or ask him to make his own tea. Assign tasks of the baby to him, get groceries, clean rooms etc. If he complains, tell him that we should get a maid. Once he gets to know what is involved, his language should change.

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Immediately if you pour his tea in sink, then next time he will think before doing such things.

He has no control on his anger it seems and taken you for granted.

Each time when he complaints, tell him don't drink/eat if he doesn't want and take out plate/tea cup/ anything which he comments , make it unavailable to him, instead of reacting to his anger. Try and see.

3 people like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If I came home from a day at work, served tea to my husband and heard any nitpicking about tea powder I would have dumped it on his head.
    Firmly assert that you will not tolerate rudeness. And if he refuses to get involved in household work or looking after the baby, hire the help you need.

6 people like this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Not advisable. What if he retaliates with his hand too?*
    (Who started the physical attack will be a question then?)

Maintain the verbal fight as verbal, without giving the chance to get physical fight.
    Instead if he verbally says something, respond verbally or pour tea in the sink.

*ps: I know MalStrom is sayin it as a 'figure of speech' knowing that her H will not nitpick. But anyway.

1 person likes this.
  6. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Did ur husband try anything specific for anger management ?? He is disrespecting u due to his anger..
    People who can't control anger say things that they usually not meant to say
    even my husband was same before but now he has changed a lot

7. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Tell him calmly to make his own tea next time and you would appreciate if he can make one for you too. He needs some anger management counseling. You can put him in yoga or some meditation techniques that could help calm him. That would definitely help him as well as you. Merely stating that you are hurt is not going help you. He is abusing you verbally with the intention of hurting..then what is the point in stating it again when he already knows it.. Just my 2 cents...

1 person likes this.
  8. msindu

msindu Bronze IL'ite

Just be firm but never aggravate a full grown male's anger unless he is much thinner and weaker than you or you are surrounded with others. When they are in rage they can become very violent even security guards will have hard time controlling them.

9. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Wht u did was gud- telling hin not to use the bad language and u will not bear it....when he is calm discuss with him tht getting angry on small things and on top of it using bad language is not acceptable to u at all and now onwards he will take care of tea for him n u....

10. pinky21

pinky21 Gold IL'ite

As you have mentioned that you have spoken with him already regarding the usage of abusive words, do a casual check with his friends or his parents family if he is upto that habit with everyone. If not stop verbal communications with him for time till he stops abusive language. though I can understand it will make him turn more violent try it if you haven't stopped talking to him before.

when he is in a good temperament talk to him how much it hurts when he uses abusive language and its impact on your baby's behaviour. every father wants him to be hero figure in front of his child.

you are also a human begin so don't feel bad in expressing your mood swings and emotions. hiding your emotions not just affects your health but also your familiy's life style. hire a maid if u don't have any financial problems.

all the best.. there is always a solution to all problems.. cheer up and never feel low..