1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Egoistic and Abusive Husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SumanLatha, May 30, 2015.

1. SumanLatha

SumanLatha New IL'ite

Sorry for the long post but I need to vent out.

Married for 5 years now and currently 2 months pregnant. Moved to a foreign land immediately after marriage after quitting a very good job in a very reputed firm. Husband and his parents are very orthodox,interfering and close minded. Started seeing glimpses of their weird behavior immediately the engagement but ignored it largely. Husband and his parents are highly educated ( foreign university degree) and well to do financially.

Husband is extremely abusive - both physically and verbally. Has been physically violent with me (biting, hitting hard, slapping, dragging to floor, throwing things at me,injuring my face such that it turns black and blue, lips bleed etc. ) ever since the first month of marriage. Initially , he used to sorry about it for a short while but these days he says I deserved it,I asked for it, I provoked him . Complained about this abuse to his parents when they came to visit us in the foreign land after 1 year of marriage, they seemed to agree initially that it is not the right thing to do but never tired to discipline their son afterwards. Husband is also very dominating, controlling, verbally abusive,egoistic and extremely difficult to live with. Has strange and unrealistic ideas about the honor deserved by the 'boy and his side of the family'. His parents support him 100% in this thought and even encourage him by putting ideas in his head. The entire family is very sexist, and think that a wife's place is in the feet of her husband. Mother-in-law has maintained no relation with her side of the family, and they wish I do the same. Always pin-point flaws in whatever I or my family do or say. Husband is doing very well at work, AND SO AM I. My salary in the foreign land is at par with his, and I recently recieved a job offer surpassing his salary. Husband realizes the advantages of having a smart, confident, independent , educated, well-spoken and contributing wife but never appreciates it due to his male ego. Husband sponsored my master's degree in the foreign land and his words at that time were 'I am investing in you, I want the returns in the form of a well paying job' .
    Ignored all episodes of verbal abuse and mental torture (over petty and small things) for the last 5 years and always gave him 'one last chance'. Every time the four of us (husband, me and his parents) get together, the 3 of them gang up against me and shout and yell at the top of their voices. They intimidate and over-power me. They say extremely mean and hurtful things about me and my family, which are totally baseless and untrue. Sometimes I think it is their mind cooking up all these stories as they have no social life and zero social relations. Husband irritates me over small things of every day life ( position and angle between the table mats, number of spoons used in the kitchen, inability to pick up his call or reply to his message immediately and a lot more). He is extremely critical of what I do , finds faults in everything I do and say, holds me up to impossible standards WHICH he himself never follows. I do all the household work, cooking, cleaning, dusting, shopping etc. and he just sits and orders.He has never really shared household chores with me and is now pursuing second master's degree ( for whose fees I contribute financially). He uses the 'studies' reason to conveniently escape from all the work.

His parents visited us in the summer and know about me being 2 months pregnant. I thought this news would prevent them from behaving barbarically with me, and I would be spared of their shouting, yelling and drama this time atleast. I was wrong. Soon after their arrival, my husband started expressing his displeasure with the way I was behaving with them. He said I wasn't involved and happy with their arrival. One thing led to another and soon the 3 of them again started abusing me verbally. I pleaded for mercy and said that this kind of environment was not good for the baby but they did not listen. I was forced to lock myself in the bedroom for 2 days while they continued their torture. Neither my husband nor his parents bothered to even check about my health and stop the shouting for some time, so that I could step out of the bedroom and get food. I was crying, shivering and so much under stress that I had to let everyone sleep at night before I could dare to step outside of the bedroom to get food for myself and the baby inside me. They suggested I call my parents to the foriegn land immediately to resolve the issue, I did. (My parents had a fair idea about the egoistic and abusive nature of my husband and the in-laws but I had never mentioned about physicial violence to them until now, they were SHOCKED to hear about it) My parents came the very next day but when the in-laws came to know about the duration of their stay ( 30 days tentative), they hurled all kinds of abuses at me the night of my parents travel saying 'in our culture, girls parents don't stay for 1 month at son-in-law place', 'they have no shame or respect', . When my parents met them, they said 'your daughter is lying, our son does not beat her', 'if your daughter was so unhappy all this time, why didn't she leave the place earlier, it proves she is very happy with our son', ' your daugther beats up our son first, our son only does self defence', 'your daughter is gone mad, she steals the eatables from the house and eats them alone' etc. etc. Hearing all this, me and my parents are now staying in a hotel (I took them to the hotel directly from the airport as I knew they would not like my parents staying at my place)

What do you think I should do ? I have an extremely flourishing and well paying career in the foreign land and don't wish to return back home quitting all of that but I am forced to do it fearing my and the baby's safety. My husband has not even once bothered to visit me at the hotel and ask about my health and the baby's health. He says he is willing to reconcile but I know his conditions - I have to agree to always do as he and his parents say, never express my ideas, opinions or concerns, never argue and finally,break ties with my side of the family.

2. azalea

azalea Silver IL'ite

SumanLatha,

Does the "foreign land" have a domestic violence helpline? If it does, use it. What kind of place are you in where you are beaten black and blue, yet you cannot or do not raise your voice? Think about it. If you are so well-educated and having a flourishing career, what is stopping you from stopping this abuse?

6 people like this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

What are you still doing in that house ? Getting beaten black and blue ? Whichever country you are call the helpline and lock them up.

Why do you have to return back to India ? Are you on a dependent VISA ?
    Think whether it is worth living with that pyscho. He needs to visit a psychiatrist . Biting... Throwing things and assaulting is not normal human behavior.

You have to decide. what you want in your life... A lucrative job ? or peace of mind ? If this fellow dares to assault an adult, he will not think twice to hurt the baby also. You need to act ASAP.
    If educated and independent woman like you take abuses and live with a maniac.. what can anyone say/advice. I am sorry for your state.

Please leave that hell hole ASAP.

Umanga, dsmenon, guesshoo and 5 others like this.
  4. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

He is such an abuser right from the first month of marriage ... You have been in that toxic relation for 5 years ... you prepared yourself to bear a child for that abuser .....

What is all this OP? No... it is not endurance OP ... It is playing the victim ...

4 people like this.
  5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Get out, get a lawyer and discuss the options you have. Are you able to get an aparment? Are you able to live as single parent in the foreign land (maternity leave, day care options?) Or do you have better opportunities back in India (job, housing?)

6. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

OP, first you are very optimistic about your career and two you are pregnant.
    Why do you want to quit your work and come back fearing your H? Sounds lame to me. Rent an appartment and stay there. Ask your mom to help your during delivery and may be 3 months from then. You can put your baby in play schools and still comtinue your work.

Your job will be your biggest strength and diversion right now.
    You need a break from this life and breath

1 person likes this.
  7. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

OP, how did your parents come the next day? no visas etc?

Anyway, call the police NOW. I cant believe you planned a baby with that moron!

2 people like this.
  8. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

Talk to a lawyer and get a restraining order.

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

1)You are an independent woman earnng more than him.
    2)You get verbally an physically abused ad you keep quiet about it.
    3)You plead to be spared by them and hide in the bathroom.
    4)Knowing all this...you still get pregnant by this husband of yours.
    5)You call your parents too to be abused by them.W

Why?Unless you are a Masochist ...there is no reason why someone like you should have to endure this kind of humiliation.
    Whether in a western country or in India.....there are enough laws to put that husband of yours and his parents behind bars for a long long time for what they have been doing.

5 people like this.
  10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    For some reason, call it intuition, I have a hard time believing that you planned (or even if un-p) a baby with this person. Nevertheless, Gd luck to you OP. Bye.