1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why have kids in Unhappy marriages?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Grihani, May 27, 2015.

1. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Have been reading some posts, and I see that many have kids even though they know clearly they are in bad marriages. It is making their lives even more difficult, especially to decide on separation and divorce.

Really wonder what makes women ( and men) have children when there is no happy marriage. Is it the pressure from society? A belief that things will get better? ... Or just an unplanned baby?

Please do not take this post wrong, I personally feel having children is such a big responsibility, bringing them up with happy parents in a happy environment is so imp, one should not have kids till that confidence is there...till a rock solid relationship is in place.

Just want to know other IL's views about this...

6 people like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

A belief that things would get better, I suppose. That seems to be the main advice that most "elders" give - once you have a child he/ she will change... Sigh!

7 people like this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Maybe by the time someone realize that marriage ain't gonna work for them for real, they might have had the child already.

1 person likes this.
  4. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Isn't that a problem? Having kids before even knowing how the relationship is...and will turn out to be. ( Ignoring here extreme cases like cheating etc even after several years of marriage)

2 people like this.
  5. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

when 2 different person start their life together it takes few years to understand each other but the extended family and society will not wait. They start itch the couple. No matter you have good or bad relationship. Thats the fact.

5 people like this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

In some not so happy marriages a child may be the only source of happiness and a bond that keeps two people together. Some people do want to endure such a married life as other options may not be feasible or appear less appealing compared to a less happy marriage, and in these situations having a child makes it bearable.

pinkgal, happyangel and sheztheone like this.
  7. sarah123

sarah123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I too would like to add my statement in this conversation. I am married now for a year.
    I too feel the same as grihani. Kids are the god's gift who needs to be loved,cared. Making the "child" only as the reason for in "marraige", is the sick thing.

At times, i ask myself, am i ready for kids? Not sure of the answer, i ask myself again, if i m gonna start a project or kind of thing with my hubby, do i trust him, that he gives his 100% or are we going to coordinate things for the rest of the future? once the kids are born, its not anymore, the "me". The "me" includes me-40% and kid 60%, until they are grownups.

Personally, as a daughter, brought up in male dominated society, i feel , i was looked more like the responsbility rather than a person from my family. I saw ppl having their kid by their first marraige anniversary, though, it was arranged marriage. I wonder, when you have known the person for not even 6 months , how parents are going to raise their kid without any proper understanding in between them.

when ppl think that the kids are the only solution for being in marriage, then there are surely might be the situations when we are in extreme troubles or pain or hurt because of marraige and take out that frustration on kid. Because the kid is the both: positive factor that we are still in marraige and kid is also the negative factor that we are supposed to be in pain.

10 people like this.
  8. aashuabhi

aashuabhi Gold IL'ite

I think its more to do with social convention to have kids once you are married. I remember talking to one of my friend who had constant issues with her wife and she was expecting and h used to say that I will leave her once she delivers (it didn't happen though). I asked him same question why did you people planned for kids when your issues are not sorted out and he said that our parents are pressurizing us to have kids :bang

I was stunned for a minute that how they can be so immature and having a baby still. Anyways they are still together and I dont know what happened to their conflicts.

2 people like this.
  9. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I think the focus shifts to kids when we have one...
    Love changes to different forms and shapes..a couple might not have same kind of love that they have in their first year of marriage. it fades to some extent. That is good, because we can't expect surrounding things\society\friends to be same forever. Having kids re-ignites the love in a different form and life goes on..otherwise, it would be so boring to be monotonous.
    I believe our parents would not have thought\planned as much when they wanted kids and most of us grew up fine.

10. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

@chandusmiles So foreigners does not respect India Men ??? Why is this respect to Indian Marriage/culture confined to only women?

5 people like this.