1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage about to end , confused and feel helpless

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SadMarried, May 20, 2015.

1. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

hi all ..I'm new to this forum . joined it in hope to find some useful advice.

I will try to summarize my married life. Been married for 10 yrs , married quite young, arrange marriage. came to UK after marriage. different ppl with difference in opinion we two have always been , but first few years of marriage have been good. Then some ups and downs throughout. We traveled together , supported each other in our education , bought house together. Even after so much pressure from family for baby , we decided to wait until we are fully settled and ready for baby. Once we tried , i had to go through few losses , heartbreaking time of my life. I got support from my hubby when that happened. support around the house but not really emotional support may be guys don't hang-around with problems same as we do and i went through that , so only i knew how hard it was.

fight we had in our married life mainly involved him blaming me i don't support him when he wants to help his family.Believe me i do. When we were going through financially hard times, he asked me to send my savings , then i said we don't have much to send , which he didn't like. Since then every-time he had to send money , he used to be rude to me and blame me i object his decision on helping his family. just to let you know , all his family used to do is ask him for money even if they had enough.and he used to think its his responsibility to fulfill their demand no matter how. his sisters asking to send iPhone , laptop , all expensive gifts when we didn't have enough ourselves, i used to get annoyed which he never liked and used to give me silent treatment for months if not days.

when i got pregnant , first 3 months were hard as we all know , he wanted to invite his sister and family to UK to visit London and other cities. Because i was not in condition to go out with ppl, i used to have no energy to do anything being pregnant , cudnt cook , cudnt eat , hardly managing o go to work, i suggested to may be that wasn't good time to invite his sister , we can invite them in summer . But he took that wrong way and again didn't speak to me for 3 months and also told his sister i said no to them coming here.

best thing happened in my life i gave birth to my son after so much pregnancy struggle. my parents came to uk to look after me n my baby. he asked to send money to his family again in 6th day post birth , i suggested as we dont have much at the moment , may be we should send it after few months as we were planning to go back home ourselves which he took negatively as always and started giving me hard time, like silent treatment and all that. my parents noticed that and felt bad. he used to shout and fight all the time . we went to back home after 6 months. he treated me the worst their , he told bad things abt me to his family , sisters ..used to fight all the time , made me feel i didnt exist in front of all, used swear words ..he even told me he was waiting to go there to take revenge. i said enough is enough , he said he doesnt want to be with me in front of his family n parents. i felt trapped n useless in his house. then he returned to uk after a month , i stayed with my parents for 2 more months. we only spoke few times in 2 months about baby. he told me he is happy without me, there is peace and no fight just to hurt me.

regardless of what happened i came back to UK. i thought he would be sry for what he did backhome , but he wasnt. i thought i will start over and be nice and wil never say a word if he wants to spend anything to his family. and hope he will treat me fair. new years eve we said that and promised to give 2015 a good try.

all was ok in 2015 apart from few outburts from his side. april this year , his mum came to uk, to look after my baby so i could go back to work. that was it , the day she entered the house , he has started treating me same. no respect , silent treatment, talking to me rude in front of her. we had big fight one day ..and he said separation is only way to go...i agreed ..then i hold back and said we are fighting for nothing , lets give it one last chance and be nice to each other. which we were for few days until this weeekend when he screamed at me in front of neighbour. i asked him thats it. i want to seprate ,i sent him text as i cant talk to him him without being rude and loud. he said ok , he said he also thinks separation is only the way to go.. we were sleeping in same bed until then , i asked him to sleep separately. he has moved to box room . im waiting him to take action with separation , but looks like he is comfortable with arrangement us not talking and sleeping separately.his mum supports him in his wrongdoing and talks to me rude time to time. I cant avoid talking to his mum . but her being rude is very harsh...im so stressed with all this. i cant sleep at night , concentrate at work.tired of living loveless , helpless life. I want to be out of this relation .I shared this with my sister. She advice me not to talk to them and stay in separate room , but not separate for now. What do i do ?

sry for long post.

2. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Op it seems your husbands umbilical cord never really got cut. Good thing that you are independent. Do you feel marriage counselling is worth a try. its hard to live in a house like this specially when you are a new mother. You can also think about trial spepration. Nothing much is coming to my mind right now.Lets see what other posters have to say about it. I would say once you are back from work, spend quality time with your child,not will help you de stress.

1 person likes this.
  3. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

thanks for reply joyoflife.

my hubby has asked me about separation so many times in past , i ws the on e who used to think about freinds , family , society and baby now. so i used to request him to forgive me no matter who fault it used to be. He has started taking me for granted.

this is first time im asking for it as im very stressed and mentally weak. i also m thinking about trail separation but he once said no point having separation , best is to get divorce. i dont want divorce as i think its not good for baby , i think he just needs to be away from me to realize what has he done wrong.

good thing is Im independent. I have good job. baby to die for ..just i want stable mind and normal life

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...wait till your child can go to day care so that you are not dependent on any one ....then go for trial separation.Why should he only decide things?

From your post it doesn't look like you want permanent separation.
    Don't use words if you don't want to follow.It will only make you look weaker in the long run.

You should try marriage counseling.Sometimes a neutral third party can point out problems and solutions better.

7 people like this.
  5. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

thanks for your reply yellow mango..here in UK childcare is expensive and also i wanted to wait for my baby to be at least 2 yrs before sending him to childcare ..but dont think i can wait even for him to be 2 yrs old.i feel very stressed to be together. I dont want divorce for baby's sake..but mental health and happiness is very important . i feel, life is too short for all this stress. I think staying apart he could see his wrong doings , he has been threatening me about divorce ..may be i also want that ..not really sure..but i want to be happy for sure..

we did get third party involved , not marriage Councillor though.

you are right i shouldn't use the word until i absolutely want it. which sometimes i think i do , sometimes i fear what if .

6. SimpleStraight

SimpleStraight Silver IL'ite

@SadMarried - Sorry for what you are going through, having a baby and going through this is lot of tougher.

There are Problems. Either we have to go through it and over come those or just avoid it.

You may think what I am talking is weird.

Patience, Tolerance and Forgiveness are essential and looks like you have lot of them.

Think Every day is a New day. If you go through IL, you will find lot of people suffering.

So have some more Patience, Tolerance.

May be in MIL will go back to India. Do your duty as a Mother, DW and DIL.

Pray to God with Love and Devotion.

Wish you Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. anuraram1234

anuraram1234 New IL'ite

Can't you take vacation and live with your mom or some one else whom you are comfortable with.

1 person likes this.
  8. SSSGupta

SSSGupta Gold IL'ite

@Sad Married..... Life is not easy .. We r four sisters and went thru these type of problms .... But I want to say one thing for now.... Dont let any body dominate you ... yes I mean it..... I imagined your situation and believe me if you are financially earning you are capable of doing anything...

I think ur husband thinks you will get scared if he say to seperate... Show him you are ready for anything , Now its up to him , what he wants.. show him even u r not going to fight for kid also, if he wants he can keep ur son (which he ll not) , you can fight later for custody but for now dont show.... and you will live your life maze me and show this from today.... look happy and settled in ur self... I will write more later , I have to go... but dont look sad and give damn to ur hasband ur MIL..... and try to be enagaged and be happy with ur kid

ur happinees will break them....

4 people like this.
  9. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@SadMarried, my heart goes out to you, and as you say, mental happiness is important not only for you, but also in giving your child a good life.

Is is possible for you to separate and have your mother come for a few months to take care of your child? I know this is not the best solution, but if you can't afford childcare, that is a solution. As the previous poster has said, your husband is trying to intimidate you, since it appears that you are the one to try to reach for a compromise every single time. He probably thinks that your need of him is more, and he is trying to take advantage of that.

I think some people like this need a kind of a shock treatment. Really follow through with the separation and you will know if your husband is really interested in any compromise at all.

4 people like this.
  10. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

IMO, your issues are not very big to consider for separation.

I see two main issues here.
    1. His families demand for money.
    2. He ignoring u in front of his family.

You are right to say you wont send your savings. But loosing married life on him spending his money on his people is not wise or worth. If you really support him or not bothered him spending on his family make it clear so that he will not give you silent treatment. If possible both of could sit and decide what percentage monthly he could send on his folks. Probably if you work on this, him ignoring you in front of his family might reduce.

When you know he ignores you in front of his family, it is bad idea to invite his mom to take care of your kid. Child care is expensive but is very cheap compared to loosing peace of mind and family life. If one tries to save on the child care front he/she has to take what comes with the savings. It is parents responsibility to have a plan to rise the child. When a MIL comes to take care a grand kid, it is always a favor, unless she herself thinks it is her duty to help her son/daughter. And that favor most of the time costs one or both (kid's) parents piece of mind.

1 person likes this.