1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Money matters

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by strangegirl, Apr 27, 2015.

1. strangegirl

strangegirl Silver IL'ite

I know this post does not belong here. But I make some justifications, to better use this traffic. The financial problem is anyway related to my marriage life and relationship.

I worked since before my marriage and always had a bright career opportunities in contrast to my husband, who struggled to retain his job then.
    I earned around 150K monthly, and my husband's salary was around 50K only. But as a couple, we complemented each other, so we had no financial issues then.

We had saved and invested a lot. We also upgraded our life style a bit with the help of my well paying job. My husband stood beside me as a good pillar of support whenever I go down with issues like pregnancy, delivery and child care. So, as per our mutual decision he became a stay at home husband, while I worked.

However, after a point, I felt differently that I loved myself enjoying my motherhood, wife and as an average woman than a career idol. I missed my home, kids, and the simplest happiness that every married woman would long for. I had to work late, travel a lot and change offices to maintain my rank and salary. This anxiety slowly made me depressed, so people started hinting against my husband's stay at home status negatively.

At a point, one of my close relative hurt my husband for the same. That was the last day he stayed at home as jobless.

He worked so hard, and started with a career. But slowly he improved with dedication; thus presently he is at a job which pays 100K with a promising future.

With my husband's busy schedule and posting (he was posted at our native where in laws live), I became totally helpless, handling the work with 2 young boys alone.

I tried with day care, nannies and maids. But nothing worked. Nothing gave me the needed mental peace, but depression due to guilt, loneliness and poor life style. Money or double income did not make us happier.
    Since husband stayed with in laws, his earning did not reach our savings as we thought.
    Meanwhile, MIL came forward to help us with the kids, but at her home - where my husband lived. With no choice ahead, I agreed. But it further disturbed me.

With this emotional turmoil, I have started doing mistakes at work - which caused a lot of damage to my future career perspectives.

At a point, I decided to quit my job and moved back to my husband's home. My husband wholeheartedly welcomed this idea. So, we started living happily as a nuclear family near in laws's place.

Me and kids have started having great times ever. I also found a normal job which pays 40K. I am fine with this despite of questions from everyone about my career status. (this was a starter job, as I did some 10 yrs back).

Since we were earning well, we had invested into land, vehicle and a big house of ours. To I had to get some loan, and the recovery amount is almost the same as my present salary.
    We are content and happy, but we hardly have any left-over with one salary now.

I feel little tied up with zero penny days. Couldn't depend on husband as he is already packed and tied with family responsibilities.
    Cut down so many expenses, but can't reduce any further. However, I don't want to lose this convenient life for money again.

I have some savings. Which is almost the same as the loan. May I use the savings to repay the loan. So that my salary will be in my hand forever?

I have some unused gold and land. I could use them for the house renovation plan. So that we could lead a comfortable life. But no savings. Perhaps, we could save little by little from 2 salaries.

Any ideas?

2. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

Jisut in short....repay all ur loan and be debt free

3. soni1987

soni1987 Bronze IL'ite

Dear OP,

First of all, a great appreciation towards your career achievement and motivation and a taking a huge step for your family. Great Job...:goodidea:

You can try to repay 60% of the loan using your savings... then can apeal bank to reduce the monthly deduction amount so that you will have some amount left with you each month after loan payment.

You can save little by little from both of yours salary and pay the rest of the loan amount stage by stage slowly... rest plans for renovation stays same for you as planned.

2 people like this.
  4. shrearavi

shrearavi New IL'ite

appreciate.... and advice others to be less attractive towards the debt as it prolongs our free access to our own MONEY!

1 person likes this.
  5. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Keep loans as it is. The asset you already have like land and gold should remain in your custody. If you have some savings as cash deposits, invest it in land or other assets like gold ( not in stocks or mutual funds due to its uncertain future) at the earliest. The money value is depreciating very fast and if you don't convert into other asset, you will have heavy loss. Also if you close loans prematurely you will have to pay penalty unnecessarily.

In long term if you calculate , the loans you pay will come out to be wise investments. The assets which you bought with the loan will have more appreciation than the loan at the end of its tenure..So don't worry.

..keep it in mind..You should always use loans for buying permanent assets only, and not for other expenditures like vacation, buying gadgets etc.

In my opinion, your decisions were correct so far.

6. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Its not wise to repay loans with the savings. Consult a good financial advisor and take the decision.

I wholeheartedly appreciate the step you took giving priority to your family.

7. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

(general advise ,may not suit you to the T )

Its waste of money to pay heavy interest to banks .But its not wise to plan a renovation expense in addition to repaying the existing heavy loans.Give a year for renovation or do the renovation work little by little as and when you could afford.

Pledging gold could provide you with lower interest loan and you could enjoy the benefit of dividing it to smaller portions(easy to pay and release them ).This advise is applicable only in indian nationalized banks.Personally i prefer this to the costly personal loans from banks .

Maintaining 6 months income as an emergency fund is enough.Provided you have adequate health-insu coverage.Refill that amount after using it for any emergency.

Land that we love to invest needs lots of work,so my POV i prefer not to sell them unnecessarily.

Peace of mind and enjoying our life to the fullest should be top priority.

8. sunita1211

sunita1211 Silver IL'ite

Ton be tension free its a must to e loan free and than plan your investments that will take a very small part of your income on monthly ,quarterly or half yearly basis and will save for future needs and demands in ones life . Savings is a very big fact of every stable life. One who earns today and does not save has to face even a small financial crisis as his life's disaster
    There are many beneficial investment plans in India that helps to save today for tomorrow and one could even start with as small as Rs1000 on monthly basis

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016