1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling lonely and helpless after the newborn

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by shruti1487, Apr 19, 2015.

1. shruti1487

shruti1487 Bronze IL'ite

I have seen true colours of everybody after the birth of my son. My parents who left me just 3-4 days after my son was born and my husband who tries to help me with work but also has started criticizing me. He never appreciates with what I have been doing with the baby, instead just criticizes me that I didn't take care of this and that. He helps me a lot, but I'm tired of explaining him that I cannot get time because of the baby. I know he knows that I'm not making excuses, but still he never shows any sign that he understands. I have a bad backache and I have been telling him, he says he knows it, he even took me for massage therapy, but when I told him right now, he said he knows that I have backache and he doesn't care about me. I'm so heartbroken. When I told him that I want to sleep as I do t get enough time to sleep, he told me to get lost.

im just tired of my life. My father with whom I have no issues, never even tired to contact me once and asked about my son. My husband who used to be so supportive is nagging me so much for so tiny issues. I've got support and have been doing everything without even resting after my c section surgery. The I u thing I ever wanted was appreciation from my husband, which I haven't got since day 1 my parents left me. I am so alone, feeling so lonely. He said I k ow u will cry..so cry..I don't care..conversations between us are non understandable. He even has started nagging me in public. I feel so lonely. I don't know what to do? I have been working so hard to manage my household, developed routine for the baby, do cleaning, make lunch and dinner for my husband, I do t know how to make my hsiabsn realize that I need appreciation, that I need his emotional support coz that will give me more courage to deal with things. Speaking with him is of no use. He says words that hurts me more. Pls suggest.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hugs to you @shruti.

You are exerting yourself too much both physically and emotionally. Is it possible for you to arrange for a nanny to cook and take care of baby for a few months until you recover? If that's not an option, consider having a nanny for a few hours a day she can watch the baby while you sleep.

Physically stressed mom means stressed dad too which is what I suspect is going on at your home. Your husband seems to be stressed too. I understand your need for soothing words at this point, but if its not forthcoming, don't berate yourself or those around you.

Try taking the baby out for short walks, if you can manage. The change of scenery can do you a lot of good. Do you have friends there? Perhaps you can ask them to visit or you visit them if possible. A friend can babysit too. Don't feel shy of asking/hiring help. You definitely need it.

Hang in tight. This too shall pass.

6 people like this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You may have post-partum depression. Visit a doc and ask also about your back problem.

Good that you have a routine but relax on the cooking/household chores. Sleep when the baby is sleeping so that you get enough of rest. Do you have friends in the area? Go out for walks with the baby, fresh air is good for both of you. Have you checked if there are any mom-baby group in your area?

3 people like this.
  4. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

In your other thread you had written that you cannot afford hiring help. If your parents had been here, there is going to be some extra expenses and you would have been prepared to accommodate that already. Divert that extra expenses for hiring some help.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you dear. You have a lot on your plate. First of all talk to your doctor and tell him/ her about how low you are feeling. Ask for some counselling.

Sleep depravation brings out the worst in the best of us. Is your husband's sleep disturbed as well? Get him to attend a couple of sessions of counselling. So you can sort it out between the two of you.

When he nags, do not cry or follow what he says. Just firmly state, "stop nagging." And do your own thing. Every time he tries to bully you into something, calmly respond - you are going to have to do it if you want it done. I'm busy with the baby.

Mine did nothing but cry the first 8 months or so. She had various health issus. No sleep, nothing. I was always stressed and tensed. I would cry and the baby would pick up on the tension and be cranky the entire day too. My husband would come back home and summon me to various parts of the flat to interrogate me on why I didn't pick up what bit of paper or left the hand towel there or didn't wipe the kitchen sink. The most effective thing I did was, "stop nagging. If you find something amiss, fix it. I can only do it for when eventually when I get around to it." Or, "I'm glad you see that towel on the floor. Please put it back where it should be." Or any question about what I did the whole day, I'd sarcastically reply, "I sat back and watched TV the whole day/ had a girls party with lots of booze/ got my secret boyfriend over while your baby slept peacefully in the crib for 8 hours" It got rid of the nagging. If I were unwell, all I would do is state "I'm unwell and am going to bed. Bring me soup/ order food/ load the dishwasher" Direct him tondo what needs to be done instead of pleading for some respite. The attitude change takes practice but is entirely worth it.

My suggestion is don't be defensive. Also you could say some stock phrases up your sleeve like, "I'm trying my hardest here; I could do with more help." Or "stop kicking me when I'm already down." So when he accuses you of something, don't react to what he is saying or justify yourself. Turn it around on him; after all he is the one in the wrong here. Be polite and firm and jovial at all times. He should turn around.

11 people like this.
  6. shruti1487

shruti1487 Bronze IL'ite

It's not that my husband isn't helping me, in fact he does loys of stuff but that comes with a price - a list I have to hear. Of what all work he has done + how lazy I am to not have done those work. He his stressed no doubt about that. He takes us to medical appointments, grocery, driving lessons etc. he has a lot on his plate which he never had before and he craves for a free time, time he used to have before..but how to make him realize that it can't be done.

Hiring a nanny isn't an option for me coz they are really expensive. I could have made an arrangement of sufficient funds of I had known beforehand by the means at least 6 months in advance which I will defibetly take care around my second pregnancy. Anyways, I want h to understand that I don't Ike his naggings, that I have a bad back ache, that I'm deprived from sleep, that I can't open my eyes past 10 pm and it's impossible for me spend time watching movie with him (even on weekends)..

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You do not have public transportation or shops in a walking distance? It is important to go out and not stay indoor all the time as it makes things even worse. Babies tend also to sleep better if they get fresh air. You are both adapting to the change. Guesshoo gave good suggestions regarding the nagging. Is your husband getting enough of sleep? Sometimes it is good to take turns, the other parent sleep in another room so he gets a few nights with uninterrupted sleep. He can then on weekends take the "nightshift".

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shruti, your description is pretty vivid and obviously you are typing exactly the thoughts churning around in your head. I can imagine a bit of the endless cycle it must be feeling like.. but I have to say I couldn't help smile to read your resolution for second pregnancy:
    If you can even think of second pregnancy, then there is hope. There surely is hope. This too, shall pass. Excellent suggestions by all.

It is easily one of the most stressful times for both of you. How to deal with the parents' issue and the way they left (abandoned) is something you'll never find a satisfactory answer for. Trying to not brood on it will free up some mental energy.

You both will learn to forget the hurtful things you say to each other in such times. First birthday will come around before you know, and you'll be struggling to keep baby awake for cake-cutting and learning the lesson that if guests are Indian, put party time in invite as an hour ahead. Oh, and you might also learn that some DH's come to kid's birthday party like a guest... :)

Sorry, didn't mean to list all your potential future problems... Hang in there.. do some small things to alleviate your stress, and the rest - if at end of day baby is fed, and sleeping... it is a day accomplished.

4 people like this.
  9. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Shruti - you are not alone, this too shall pass, but not completely :) you will get glimpses of this every now & then. I'm telling this based on my experience with 2 daughters aged 12 & 4.5. I had a great support system while my first one was growing, becoming independent, I myself didnt have much work so had no expectation on my husband. For the sec.one, the mornings of weekdays become very nasty, dynamic, heated, war-like, I'll leave it for imagination. Luckily recently my sec.one has become increasingly attached to her dad :) and wants him to do everything from brushing, school drop-off till sleep. Still I volunteer to share with him sometimes....

So the moral of the story is just hang in there, u'll get more pleasant things to share with us and pass through these trying times very quickly. Your husband might be equally stressed as you are. Don't think abt ur parents lack of support and dont think you are victimised by everyone around you, you will be alright very quickly.

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...hugs to you.
    Is it possible that your husband is expecting the same that you are...appreciation.
    You say he helps out a lot.....and lists out the work he does.
    Don't wait for him to list out his work....appreciate him before that. It does wonders.Tell him he is the best husband.Tell him he is the best father. Tell him you are lucky to have someone like him who gives you both so much.....

Try to make him understand that this is a difficult time for both of you....but things will get better.Give him hope that things will change and this is not his life forever. Tell him you are waiting desperately to be fitter and better so you can do more at home. Hug him often...it is good for both of you.It brings down stress.

7 people like this.