1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this right?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by lilyrose, Apr 15, 2015.

1. lilyrose

lilyrose New IL'ite

Hi,

I am a newbie to Indus Ladies. Been reading the posts and I am amazed with the advises and solutions given.

Have a question and would like the members to share their opinion

I am married for 2 years now with a little boy. Recently my hubby told me about his friend. Apparently the friend is in financial trouble. He is married and supporting his parents financially. Due to some mix up, his salary was delayed. So, he had to borrow money from his friends to give his parents. I was surprised and asked hubby, why didn't he borrow from his wife. My hubby said, he has never borrowed from his wife and they don't have such understanding. Her money is her money and she doesn't help him when he is in need.

I was like:eek:mg:.

Why? Because whenever my hubby is short of money , he would just take mine. Take and not borrow, as he has never returned my money ever. While some man refuse to even consider borrowing money from their wife, mine has been doing it without any intention of returning it back. I did asked my friends about this practice and most of them said , their husbands would rather borrow from someone else instead of the wives. Those who borrow would at least returned it to the wife when they have enough money.

I am confused here. Am I being to nice to my hubby. I work hard to earn my money and he takes my hard earned money just like that?

What do you ladies think? All opinions are appreciated if there's any gentleman willing to share their opinions ,they are most welcomed.

Thank you

2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@lilyrose:
    Borrow (in your case, take) some money from your husband and try not returning the money to him. Check his reaction.

Every relationship is different. Some husbands and wives voice out to each other on how money should be handled between them and with families. Some have an unsaid expectation/understanding. If this is been bothering you a lot and if you don't want to borrow money from your husband, then just talk to him directly. (Be open to him arguing/feeling hurt or understanding what you are saying easily)

2 people like this.
  3. TypicalLady

TypicalLady Senior IL'ite

Good question LilRose. :). here are my 2 cents.
    I think, it all depends on the understanding between the couple.
    I personally feel that money should not matter. as far as both think that they are one family and each and every penny spent is for family sake. they should have that trust on each other.

in my case, my husband never trust me in money matters. so, I make sure I give some amount for house hold maintenance stuff and keep the rest with me as my savings. but again I am okay to share everything as far as he trust me.

Also, I heard from one of my frnd that his spouse is very greedy and is never willing to share her salary .. so he looks out to friends when there is any financial need.

4. worriedhusband

worriedhusband Senior IL'ite

First of all I don't understand what is the this borrowing and lending business all about means is this a marriage or a bank ? Are you both husband and wife or ...bank and client...I guess in marriage everything is not *my* its *our* is it only applicable for men and not women ..whatever that might be I think this is more of a bank and less of a marriage..

P.S:- what's the interest rate of the bank

7 people like this.
  5. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

@lilyrose - In my opinion this depends on the mutual understanding between the couple. Your husband might have never given a thought about his money or your money. Its just money, which we spend for both of us.

One suggestion would be to create a joint account and pool in your money together there. so that in case of emergency expenses you both will have enough with you.

6. lilyrose

lilyrose New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply,

It was never an issue with me. I share some of the household bills/expenses just like my husband. What if the husband constantly uses the wife's money? He is earning enough and but its never enough. Like my husband, he uses large portion of his pay to support his family back home. I was not wise enough to save up money with my own earnings as he constantly needed extra cash. So do you still believe it should be OUR money , meaning my hard earned money given away for his expenses? It was never OUR money when it comes my expenses, he just says use your own money.

I have read many post and threads in IL and some ladies have expressed their regret for letting their husband misuse their money. I don't want to be one of them. I have a kid and should be saving up for his future.

P.S:- I wanted an opinion not sarcasm. Thanks anyway

3 people like this.
  7. lilyrose

lilyrose New IL'ite

@sparkle, @typicalady, @worriedhusband and @saya83,

Thanks for the reply.

8. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

Lol :D
    Does this goes Vice versa too?? If you borrow(I will never use word borrow in my case) money from your DH...are you returning the money back ;)

Come on....couple earns to help eachother , to support and share the financial responsibilities.

I earn less than by DH. he earns 4 times more than what I earn..but he has lot of financial responsibilities....no doubt he never had to take money that I earn but like if his wallet has shortage of cash or we are going somewhere out and he realized his wallet is lighter...He takes money from me...and offcourse I never expect him to return...will feel bad if he does so...Only thing that both me and he follows is..
    For what ever money we get from elders for occassions.....we keep it aside in a pouch and if in emergency we fetch money from that pouch we make it a point to put it back in the pouch...

You are being nice to your hubby not to any relative/ stranger / Sibling / Friend....

Continue being same...dont let money break the bonding you share.

1 person likes this.
  9. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

In my opinion, Ideal condition is that there is no barrier between husband and wife.

OP's state is closer to ideal condition as she never bothered / never felt that it is
    ''her money''. I think her DH also thinks in the same manner and use her money
    for his expenditures without any inhibition. If it happen vice versa too, then I would say you are ideal couple at least in money matters. Be proud of it.

My advise is not to spoil your thoughts by reading all these threads...This is a different world..:)

1 person likes this.
  10. lilyrose

lilyrose New IL'ite

@catwalk

Thanks for understanding.

Like you mentioned, I have never seen this as an issue. I was just wondering if I am being wrong to let my husband use my money when some wives out there are being so calculative to their husbands.

I guess, it depends on the couple and their mutual understanding, right?:wink:

1 person likes this.