1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to cope up with this

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweety127, Mar 27, 2015.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

How to cope up when you people plan a vacation only for you and h. I feel that uneasiness of not able to take mil (with her gloomy sad face) on one hand & other hand is anxious of the after effects...those dramas long faces, limited talks, illness & making H fall into a big guilt trip that he does not dare to do it again..

Especially in case of single MIL living with only son…

Oh am just tiredfaintingsmiley

Suggestions solicited to make such trips really memorable so H would dare to take such risks often brushing aside guilt trips..:crazy

Also need ways to deal MIL's antics:cry:\

Ladies pl help

2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@sweety127:

Is there anyone (someone who is willing to please her and help :roll:) who can be with her when you will be out on your vacation? Try and see if this works.

Alternately, you can arrange a trip for her too with people in her age group. This will be a win-win.

Encourage her to pursue any of her hobbies/interests, if any (may be she can take few classes or courses when you are away).

2 people like this.
  3. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

@sparkle

More than pleasing her people in neighborhood are more into creating a rift in between us..For eg: In our last anger sessions MIL asked how much gold I put etc which was not her thoughts..I got to know much later that she was instigated to ask so:(

There is no one to tc of her..Her entire day involves cooking, cleaning, tv, chatting & nothing more. n chance of hobby etc..if we both go she has to be alone..When SIL visited we did go for a family vacation though..

4. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

I sailed in the same boat a few months ago, since I also stay with DH and MIL. Whenever we (me & DH) would return from a trip, she would tell my DH how she fell ill in our absence, how she had sleepless nights (as if she never slept alone when DH was single and reaching home in the wee hours of morning after get-together and party).

You see Indian men are wired to be highly sensitive towards their moms. During that time, their reasoning button goes for a toss and the DW has to bear the brunt of DH's guilt trips.

The best course of action is that when you are planning this trip for yourself and the DH, you should also plan something for your MIL. Also, I always try to tell myself that if my brother and SIL went for a trip, I will obviously worry about my mother. So, it is imperative that you plan something for her as well. Maybe you could ask her to stay with SIl or you could call SIL to stay over? Or MIL could visit her brothers? Maybe you could have her enrolled in some activity classes, like I have gifetd a harmonium to my MIL and have also arranged for a masterjee and she is quite happy with that.

Besides, you must encourage her to regularly go for for morning & evening walks because sitting for the whole day at home also brings a lot of negativity. Make sure you call her at-least 5-6 times a day even if that is too hard for you because these small small gestures go a long way in strengthening the bonds. Always get some gifts for her & SIL from wherever you go. When you come back, after you have unpacked and rested, make sure you spend enough time with her, do share your adventures and experiences with her.
    Most of the time, our preconceived notions and our prejudices come in the way of forming a good equation with the MILs.

3 people like this.
  5. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi Op,

I have not read any of the suggestion posted here, straight away giving mine....

1. if she is interested in going to any of her relatives house for a week... send her there
    2. or there are group of people who always go on heritage or devotional tours... if she is interested make arrangements for that.

1 person likes this.
  6. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

@ Cheenu thanks for those nice suggestions:) FYI I stay far from H & MIL. I generally go for a week or so. this time we both planned some long outing for the first time since marriage as we hardly get time for each other..

Though things are sort of ok now, my past encounters with MIL were really bad..So when I go we both are so careful in handling each other. Our relationship is still tender & hence this anxiety..SIL stays abroad & relatives in native.. MIL always tells that she is unable to visit them for long duration due to her son being left alone with hotel food..Neither does she allow him to cook..Indirectly she portrays am the reason for her not being able to go else where..

Thanks for the gifting idea..I had actually not done anything to please her till now..I will try gifting her something this time..& I do call her on a weekly basis thats it..She just dont talk lively to me & so no use calling n no of times..

7. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

@op...
    There's a simple solution to this.. a short vacation to a temple (a weekend trip) with MIL will keep her satisfied.. then you can go on your romantic long trip.. all the best

1 person likes this.
  8. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

@sugugiri thanks for your reply..she looks dejected whenever i go.. her biggest worry as she claims is son not able to live with wife..hope she gets better when we stay together

9. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

thanks indoc will do that:)

10. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@sweety127:
    Ignore her drama. Take her comments one ear and let it out the other. Agreed that rifts are created by people poking their nose in others business unnecessarily.
    Since you mentioned cooking, if it works for you, you can encourage her/teach her to post her recipes, cooking tips, cleaning tips online. That will take some negativity off of her .