1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Financial assistance - Double standard.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Jan 22, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Again, I am with a sensitive topic. Bear with me, gals.

As I see, some of my friends (real life and virtual from all over the world) wants to extend financial assistance to their extended family members on need basis.

I am speaking about married women, who are educated and well settled financially. More importantly, earning and not dependent on their spouses in this aspect.

When in discussion, the matter of supporting the extended families as below is valued as Nobel thing among us.

- One wanted to support her parents who brought her up to this level by hard working. She planned together with her other siblings to get a loan and buy a simple flat for her parents; who were living in rental house throughout their lives.

- Other one wanted to extend some assistance to her not-so-well doing elder sister. This woman is now in abroad, so wanted to send cash on a monthly basis for her sister's family

- The third one had a plan to offer nice vacation kit to her father, who never visited out of her country

- There is another one, who shops for branded good quality electronic stuff for her un-married loving brother from abroad.

They cared nothing about their spouse's permission as they simply passed their opinion only to their spouses. Because they were planning their assistance through their own hard earned money only.

Here in our discussion, we praised these women for having a good career, and financial independence and their decision making ability. We went on to praise their good heart and generosity for remembering their loved ones after marriage.

All the comments were so positive about these women. But I am not sure how our reactions would be, had these above mentioned species were men?

2. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Be it a man or a woman helping family members who are in need is considered positive/ noble. Taking permission is not necessary but discussing with your spouse and coming up with an amt is important.
    All said, there are instances where though the family doesn't need or are well off kinda try to milk the situation. This is what is condemned and considered un-noble (if there is a word like tht.. :p)

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Is there behind some double standard that the wifes salary is her own money, the husbands money belongs to the family?

Those examples also reflect that the standard of living/wealth is very inequally distributed and moving abroad seems to cause this. Usually the parents are having more wealth than their adult children (as the parents have been working many years more than the children) and siblings about the same level.

4. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Its funny that you mention this. I actually went through this with my dh. He always felt that i decided things (for both of us, few times) without asking him (not in money matters). Its not like i took major decisions without asking him, but small things. I am always working towards taking his opinion (ever since he pointed it out) before i venture to make decisions by myself.

But whether it is a man or woman, communication is important. No matter how small the things is, keeping your spouse in loop before deciding something with other people is really crucial for marriage.

2 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Frankly I am a bit old fashion and I believe that the income (no matter husband or wife earns) is joint income for their family unit (meaning includes only the spouses and their kids).

Any gifts made to either set of extended families should be made jointly limited to the comfort of both parties. I won't be rushing to praise some one regardlesss of gender who rushes to make these decisions arbitrarily because of fact that they earned it. For a marriage to be strong, one should respect their spouse and seek consensus on all important matter.

sindmani, bron, Rakhii and 13 others like this.
  6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I don't have a problem in supporting / praising both man and women if they are extending help to parents .

i also think it is very important to have own income source and maintain some autonomy on your income and spending . Spouse should be involved in major decisions but not for every paisa / dollar being spent . Spouse can be informed in some cases and consulted in some cases .

2 people like this.
  7. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

I think we are, at least I am, admiring these women's independence and the ability to make their own decisions regarding the salary they earn. In many cases, either IL or husband take the working woman's money or tell her how to spend it. A woman who can send gifts to her family by herself becomes like an icon for others.

Of course, the salary a couple earns is their joint income, and they both should involve the other in decision-making before gifting their families.

2 people like this.
  8. pari80

pari80 Silver IL'ite

"trust" is the word. if that exists between couple, either woman/man won't be afraid to tell their better half weather she plan to spend money on her/his family or give them money. Most of the time money is given to extended family by keeping other partner out of picture which mostly describes lack of trust between two person.

If there is trust than in case other person don't find it appropriate in some scenario they have chance to discuss it out. But when either of one side doesn't involve other lack of trust become reason for fight and mis-communication.

Only advice , i give to my friends who got married after me or even my cousin Sister-in-laws which are far younger than me, make sure to build trust with your life partner. If couple has total trust and good communication in all topics, many issues can be avoided.

Speficially financial decision like this are more tricky because it not only requires to look at whom money is given but why/for what need and how this would impact couple's own life monetarily.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You are right. Anything that comes to the family should be considered as joint income. Anything that goes out of the family should also be done after consultation with the concerned spouse.

However, one can not deny the fact that they never seen such double standards as I mentioned above. At least, in my very short living experience, I have come across as many cases as I mentioned about with such double standards. May be I am coming from a different setting.

Yes.. I totally agree that the assistance should be based on need basis. Anything beyond or more than that could challenge the relevance and reasonableness. However, I have a feeling that gender plays a huge role here. And sadly most of the time, it is the women who makes the double standards.

So many threads that I have come across here (not sure about males forums though)
    Eg:- "My husband buys expensive gifts to his folk, My husband sends money for their EMI"
    Whereas, the same forum has posts from women like " I like to support my sister, I love to buy a small house for my parents, what gift I can buy for my Foo when I return etc..etc...
    Sadly the responses are very biased.

I can quote some posts if you really feel it is needed.

sindmani, indian78 and butterflyice like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Guys, this thread is not about how to extend financial assistance to the parents of girls. It is about why we girls have this double standards as in one way we would love to extend financial assistance to our folks, we appreciate our peers who manage to do so, and encourage other folks in this forum if they post any queries regarding that. On the other hand, we show a double standard view, without seeing the other side, to the women who complains about their husbands' support to his FOO.

I have seen both type of threads being responded by the same Lites but biasly. Hence this post.