1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can parents be jealous???? :O

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by coolsandy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I have been watching a few married female friends, closely. They have settled in their own lives, with their own ups and downs, but happy overall.

Whenever their parents visit them, I see a change in some of them. Either from the parents' side or from my friends' side. One of my friend belongs to a middle class family and her mom has seen major ups and downs in her life. Her daughter(my friend, lets called her Avanti) got married to a guy from a little upper class family. Avanti is very much interested in having a standard life, and she has set her home, in a good way if not extravagant. Everything is in its place and everything is in order in Avanti's place. She has seen her mom facing a few problems wrt household management or handling household chores and when it was her turn to set a home, she easily solved those issues and made it easier in her own family.

The problem, now, is that her mom is quite upset or jealous(I have no idea which word suits aptly here) about Avanti, in everything that is mentioned above, her dressing, her lifestyle, her household management etc etc. So, her mom started interfering in her matters or taunts her for each and every thing that she prepares, mocks her, is always smirking at her etc etc. #IfYouKnowWhatIMean

Whereas Avanti has a different story to say. She says that her mom was never positive about her; prior to marriage, whenever she had given her opinion or suggested something to improve the standard of living, her mom and dad both actually made fun of her, derided her very badly and would always take her for granted. So, she stopped interfering in their standards and after her marriage, she started implementing whatever ideas she had had.

And now, her mom literally is jealous of her own child. Even her own dad makes fun of her now or derides her. He would interfere in her chores and suggest something impractical. Like wash clothes in the morning itself, and daily, immediately after bath. whereas Avanti has her own timetable for washing clothes, she has evaluated everything in her present home and set everything accordingly. She feels that her parents are really immature and they gain a sense of ego satisfaction by poking into her life.

Whatever, I am lost for words in this case. I felt Avanti is quite matured enough to handle that kind of parents and these incidents raised a few thoughts in my mind. Can parents ever be jealous? Can they be egoistic towards their own child?

Share your thoughts please. Would like to hear more about this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    6 people like this.

2. bloregal

bloregal Senior IL'ite

Hi coolsandy,

Shocked to hear about parents of that kind...I had a cousin whose parents were somewhat similar..in front of outsiders they would not say much but would always compare his(my cousins) achievements with others and keep discouraging him whatever good he does.. most of the relatives knew it was because his dad was not that successful in life(in terms of wealth creation at least) although he was an engineer and worked for a very good organisation. They completely depend on their son(cousin) now still keep finding faults because he (cousin)has made enough money and owns property worth lakhs.

But in Daughters case least expected.thinkingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

After listening to Avanti's story, I can definitely relate to your cousin. That guy must really be having a biiiiiiiiiiiiig heart to accommodate such egoistic and taunting parents. But, I really wonder if, both Avanti and your cousin, can ever forgive their respective parents? If they did, then are indeed big hearted humans.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I have adult children and I can understand the feelings of being jealous to some extent. My oldest daughter was such a messy person when she lived at home. Now she is running her own home and when I visit I barely dare to put a used glass on the counter as everything is so shiny and tidy. I am happy for her, sometimes I notice a small voice inside me growling "why did she not behave like that when living with me" but keep that voice to myself. Sometimes I also feel that my daughters have so much easier life than me (financially or otherwise), get frustrated with their complaints about their children (who told them to get those kids?) And I can even be jealous because they are so pretty (I am biased) and have great careers.

But I keep these stuff to myself. Sometimes I share my feelings with my sister but never to my children. I am trying to encourage and support them as that is my role as a mother. I am trying to utilize the feelings of jealousity to something constructive. If I am jealous because my daughters kitchen is so nice so why cannot I redecorate my kitchen?

When i child leaves the nest they live their lives and you as a parent start a new phase of your life. We keep in touch but I am not responsible for them anymore and they are not responsible for me. I cannot interfere with their lives. I can enjoy their success, I can support them (to some extent) if they need support but they are on their own.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It happens when an always dependent child suddenly becomes independent or depends on someone else (husband or in laws), then the parents, particularly mothers (given their nature, menopause age) became slightly irritated. As if they feel guilt for no longer being dependable for their children or that feeling of unwanted in their children's life or both altogether.

It happened with my mom very recently though... Because I started depending on my husband lately... Since I have always been a dependent to my mom, and then after marriage too, due to certain reasons, I had to depend on her literally on everything... This sudden change irritated her.

Since she loved me dearly, my decisions, though hurtful to her, made her realize her mistakes. So, she is happily transitioning her dependable status to my husband now.

It is a two way journey, so not alone the mothers to be blamed,. Even if that is a house or other matters (unlike emotional in my case), I guess the children too have taken their parents for granted it seems. Perhaps someone like me. Realization matters

sindmani, coolsandy and Sweety789 like this.
  6. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

yes I can understand Avanti's position, happens smtimes old ppl tend to feel inferior (i do not want to use J word for parents)when their daughters do better than them,it is best to accept it and avoid confrontation as such, at times when I see such behavior, i send a silent prayer "god pls dont make me this way when I reach their age"

I hv also seen parents who take pride when then they see their messy daughters become mature and independent,

like it varies with every individual .. maybe it varies with every parent

4 people like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I get what the OP is saying.
    I am pretty sure mom loves me a lot but still often hear"What is the use of all this?"
    "What will you do if you get someone to cook?"
    Never heard her praise the way I run my house(to be fair...I am not the most efficient home maker...but I keep my family happy).

My mom loves gardening and I used to always consult her about plants.Now that she has become older and not as active in gardening....at the same time I have become better with time and practice ,I have realized that she discourages me.
    "Why get more plants ? You already have too many".
    I was so excited about showing my roses to her when she visited recently ...all I got was a ....yeah ...I saw them. My husband noticed the disappointment and since then has been praising my roses everyday. I had even got new flowers so that she would like sitting in my balcony.My husband told me...you should not try so hard to impress your mom ...how does it matter ....it is not an inspection and you are not getting a report card.

My mom also keeps praising my daughters for helping me ....makes me realize I could have done more when I was with her.I did tell her ...my daughters are much better than your daughters.....

sindmani, RedRuby, pear and 2 others like this.
  8. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Reading Avannthi's story reminds me my mom facing same with her mom (my grand mom), she always pokes my mom in someway or the other like from doing job to saving money to running house to getting me married to a nice guy. My grand ma has everything to complain with regards to my mom. Fortunately i share very great bond with my mom, she shares everything feeling with and vice versa, no one knows that my grand ma is hurting my mom with whatever reason(ego/jealousy/insecurity) only ME knows it!!! I always tell my mom, just confront her and let her know how you felt when she told that, but my mom never expressed her hurtfulness and saga still continuing at the age of 50 and 70yrs respectively...

1 person likes this.
  9. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

that is called maturity... I wish many of us get into that stage rather than getting into 'control freak'
    mode.

4 people like this.
  10. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

seriously... that is one prayer, each one of us should start praying...

2 people like this.