1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

politics in family

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mithu202, Oct 28, 2014.

1. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

My problem is my family members are not talking to us , My husband is the youngest son, My co-sisters don't like me from the beginning , I don't know the reason why till now and I am not ready to further investigate on that since I have many other problems.

Recently my BIL called my husband and said that your wife said this that about my wife , when my husband asked what she said he was not ready to open up (He said ask your wife) , and I have not complained about her anything to my relatives, and from that day they are not talking to us and If my husband calls them they don't attend the call.

Please help what should I do on this???

2. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

If there is any one fair minded and neutral persona in family you can ask for intervene.
    If not then let it be.
    What difference it makes if they don't share roof with you?

5 people like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

You just maintain your silence. You have to face each other in future, in functions etc.
    and hope truth will come out. Somebody might be telling lies behind your back, find out, (may be MIL, want to divide and rule)

1 person likes this.
  4. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

I don't want some misunderstanding because of me... And also I don't like fight or misunderstanding between siblings...I know how it pains when my sister or brother avoids me...

5. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

As u said I m maintaining silence as of now... Yes it's true my mil always complains about each other when the concerned person is not there.., and she purposely never allows me to talk to co-sisters , I know this I don't take it serious..

6. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

Be careful not to say anything to your MIL about yourself, or co-sis that can be twisted. Even positive things can be twisted and presented in a completely different light.

I feel this situation is too serious to be avoided silently. Staying silent will embolden your MIL to spread even greater lies, and tarnish your reputation in whole family.

Keep trying to contact your BIL/co-sis. If they are not reachable over phone, just leave an email/sms - Apologize for hurting them unintentionally. Say you never said any thing about co-sis to any one. If you did say something hurtful, without your knowledge, then you regret it very much. Say you are hurt by their avoidance of you and DH. Assure them you will take care not to say any thing hurtful about them in the future. Just ask them if they will talk to you to allow you a chance to apologize, and mend relations.

If they agree to talk, then apologize profusely. I know you are innocent. But apologizing to them will make them more receptive to what you have to say regarding your innocence. Say you never meant to hurt them. Then ask them if they are willing to tell you what it was that offended them. Do it in your husband's presence, over speakerphone. Preferable to discuss things in person, though if they agree to meet you.

As it seems MIL is the culprit here, you can do this. Next time you go to any function together, say with every one present (DH, MIL, BIL, co-sis) that - "MIL, You don't allow me call BIL/co-sis. Now see BIL/co-sis think I am badmouthing co-sis. Have I ever said any thing bad about co-sis to you? I think all this misunderstanding would not have occurred if we talk over phone some times, of course, only if you allow me." Act innocent and hurt when you say this.

That way it will be clear to every one you are innocent, seem like you are trying to respect your MIL (by asking her permission to call), and also mend relations with co-sis.
    Then watch MIL squirm. gigglingsmiley

Stay happy and let us know what happens!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Call or write to Bil's wife and tell them , you have not spoken anything about her to anyone so you are extremely upset that she seems to think otherwise . Mention that are interested in clarifying things and ask her to let you what she heard and from whom .

8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Just make sure your communication with your DH is clear and that he understands you properly. Other than that, just stay silent and behave normally (hi-bye, smile) with them. What they think, say do not matter.

9. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

I can ask sorry if I have gossiped about them, but I didn't say anything about her.. If I apologies I feel that I admit a mistake which I have not done

10. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

If I am online as soon as possible she goes offline in fb..