1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can traditional role of a wife be expected from a working woman? Is it justified?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Romantic2014, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Romantic2014

Romantic2014 Bronze IL'ite

In my opinion, those men who marry working women should not expect traditional behavior from their wives. The lady members in the house should realize, money is important, and the woman is also earning it , making life easier. If one can expect money from wife or DIL, there should not be further expectation of traditional behaviour or role play from them. As long as wife's money remains important, it is better to realize, no scornful eyes for adherence to orthodox tradition won't work.

2 people like this.

2. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

While I agree with what you are saying ! I also think that the opposite is not true! If a woman is not working than adherence to orthodox tradition is not a given thing !! Because you dont work, you do all the housework and wear saree all day long !! No I dont think that is right! Duty is important (if husband works I take care of household duties because I want to, its my contribution) but adherence to tradition is my on personal belief ! If I want to il do it, if I dont want to, nobody shud force me to do it !!

15 people like this.
  3. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

I very strongly believe that either the man earns and the woman takes care of household affairs, or BOTH earn and BOTH share household chores EQUALLY.

But most men these days want to have their cake and eat it too.

Most matrimonial profiles will read....... looking for a modern career oriented girl with traditional values.

So basically a girl who brings home a fat pay check AND one who also bears him children, kills herself doing all the household chores alone all by herself, and who also starves herself some days of the year,fasting for his long life!!

Ha Ha Ha

Hats off to such men!!

12 people like this.
  4. GothamzGautam

GothamzGautam New IL'ite

[Emphasis added]

It is unclear what the connection between traditional behavior / orthodox tradition & a woman who works is. What exactly are traditional behavior & role play according to you?

2 people like this.
  5. GothamzGautam

GothamzGautam New IL'ite

(SPlit post for readability)

A marriage is a two-person partnership where each member of the team should pull his/her own weight to contribute to the team's success (think of it as the two engines on an aircraft; one might be sufficient for flight but won't produce the same performance as two engines running simultaneously).

With all the advances in household appliances, availability of household cleaning / maintenance services, maintaining a modern household in an urban setting is far easier than during our grandmothers' times (which is where the "traditional" reference probably comes from).
    Add to this, the advances in medicine & natal care and the fewer number of children women have, I'd say the tasks of a modern-day housewife are certainly easier & less time-consuming than that of my grandma (who had three children, which relative to her times was not a big number). I should know as I maintain my own home by myself
    in better condition than my mom.gigglingsmiley Even though, I'm more a fan of eating yumsmiley than cooking, I can get the job done quite well thanks to all the tools & resources available. Even quality recipes are available if you know where to look.

Today, it's certainly smart for a woman to work at least part-time and help ease some pressure off the husband & also add to the household income (given job certainty has decreased while work pressures have increased).
    Expecting contribution from a wife isn't non-traditional.

Traditional expectations still apply (for instance):

i. husband being the primary earner, should earn more & contribute when the wife is pregnant etc. (source real life)
    ii. protect family even at risk to his own well-being (source: natural instinctive behavior) & haven't seen too many examples of wives endangering themselves to save the husband... even in the recent J&K floods, women were rescued before men & even children!

It seems like you don't realize that the vast majority of the most dangerous, difficult & dirty / unpleasant jobs to maintain a civilized society are performed predominantly by men in a traditional society.

Just compare workforce participation vs workplace fatalities / casualties (even in the West).
    As they begin receiving this kind of recognition (being taken for granted), men will shun these roles & obligations (nobody does things for nothing).
    Perhaps, then better sense will prevail. Won't be too hopeful though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

@GG...what you have said is very true !!

But in India, as Op has stated, this happens, she is talking about reality ! Inlaws n husband have this thought process, if the wife isnt an earning member she is suppose to take care of the house and the husband lends no hand! Its very common ! There are a fourtunate few where the husband helps out but a lot is taken forganted if you are not working ! Since it is an expectation that a wife if is non-working shud comply to all the traditional roles(cooking,cleaning, washing, maintaining home, maintain customs etc and what not, sometimes she is not even given a maid to help out cz is is not working and has all the time in the world to take care of the home, it happens GG), therefore Op asks the question that if the wife is an earning member she shud not be expected to do all this entirely all by herself. And there are cases where the women are working and come back home and manage the entire household cz the setup is such ! How fair is that ! Does she not have a life ! What you have said GG is the humane and right way to think! But how many actually comply !! Its just sad !

1 person likes this.
  7. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Such men are parasites and curse . Women should avoid such creepos and psychos..... it i sbetter to be single and happy than being married and miserable to such dumb men.

2 people like this.
  8. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Totally agree with you Panda, but sometimes girls realise this after marriage! These guys never show their true character before marriage !

1 person likes this.
  9. Romantic2014

It is simple. The women without economic independence are found to be easier for to make the conform to the in-laws traditions which might be very orthodox. If the wife has money in her purse, many of her "so called faults" are no faults at all subject to the condition that the quantum of money earned by her is important for the family for any reason. Such a woman cannot be bent to her knees to follow some rituals or pattern of behavior. If the husband wants to enjoy wife's money, this tax has to be paid. Simple words.

1 person likes this.
  10. Romantic2014

And the girls have to be quite revolutionary to answer such attitudes of men. They should be looking for men who would be totally dependent on them financially. Many non-working women also show they colors making the lives of the simple in-laws an absolute hell. Women does not necessarily mean young married woman . Old women are also women.