1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Staying Away from the family and working, Does it worth it????

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by breeze01, Sep 19, 2014.

1. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

Couple of years back when my hubby visited india alone for 3 weeks, i felt so lonely.. part of me was missing i was just here but all my thoughts are about him..couting down the days when he is going to come... finally when the time has come for him to return he had to end up staying 6 more weeks because of some situation which i cant even refuse and my counting started again..finally he came..i was so so happy its beyond words..life is going on we had a kid... after the kid he end up staying in india couple of time 2 weeks leaving us here..it was hard for me to manage kid but i am glad atleast my family was here to help me out but there is time that i always miss him and his part being father to the kid and taking care of him, after that i decide we are not staying anywhere leaving each other and the family...when i read some of the threads like husband leaving family 2,3 yrs staying far and working its makes me feel so bad what are the important events in the life they missing out..especially in the kids life as days are rolling by so fast. kids born growing walking,talking..first day of school.all this things which we can bring it back..on the other side..even thou husband is staying away from family we can see his side of issues he is facing..cooking,cleaning.feeling home sick at times.. as most men usually dont say it out,we ladies say it out when we cant take it anymore...taking care of things all alone... cooking,cleaning,taking care of kids.school,homework,in laws problem and functions,occassion to attend and all the pity looks you get from people,comments,stress in every part of the life..and other nonsense.....despite all this not being there for each other during emotional support... being with person is very different than talking on phone..

yesterday we came across a person telling us after 6 yrs he is eating dinner with his family. he use to work 12,13 hours then runs his business and sleep 2,3 hours in a day and kids were taken to his business place when they are on vacation...so there is no separate vacation.. when he is off to work his wife need to take care of things at home and at business place...finally after all this he sold off the business and he is very happy..staying with the family all the time working on weekends.guy telling me this sentence did really made me wonder... kids are growing if i cant be there for them now... there is no use... i am good now..i can earn later eventhou i am old. it did really strike my heart..

back in olden days eventhou most of the families has 5,6 kids ladies were able to take care of them without no problem..person staying near you does give you energy,good spirit,happiness..as the expenses are increasing day by day couples have to make different choice to get satisfied with their life..

Everyonce life is different in their own way but how far is it fair to leave things behind to wife alone and go on to other place to work.. we can understand if there is financial situation but even when you are better off what is the need to make such a decision..isnt there any way you can change your life situations which we can only be done by us...

I am not commenting on any once situations... recently i been coming across lot of people staying in this kind of situation.. husband staying here.. wife staying in india or else where taking care of kids and everything else.. husband visiting 3 weeks or some once in an year... wont that affect the married relationship... and how bad its going to affect the kids.i believe the relationship you have with kids from the beginning of kids life is very important.its better to make wise decisions in life at times...what are your opinions...

3 people like this.

2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Every family is different and Dad's participation may vary. I am a good listener and my DH has zero patience. Over time, my son learned to talk to us on different things. Kids are very understanding and learn to adjust according to the family environment.

Economy places a major role. More and more women are willing to adjust to improve their family status. Of course, it is not like it used to be, women can manage/run the family by themselves.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

My brother was staying away from his.newly wed wife for 3 years.Both sacrificed a.lot by now they have comfort and can enjoy life shopping travelling without worrying about.monthly expenses.
    I think its a choice.

1 person likes this.
  4. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

It depends on individual priorities and choice. Both family and having money is important.

If one choses family over money, then it wont be much late before the family starts cribbing about unsatisfied needs and wants and insecurities. If instead he/ she choses earning money over spending time with family, he might be able to buy all luxuries for himself but not family bonding. He/ she may be a winner on career front but a disaster on home front in maintaining close family ties

Its upto an individual to decide what he/she wants. And ofcouse, the immediate family to decide whether they are ok with it or not.

2 people like this.
  5. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

Yes its indeed difficult for a husband and wife to stay away from each other for a long time. Its mutual decision. For some money matters n so they agree to stay away. Like for my situation my dh had been awsy many avtimes for his business trips for a month, 3 months n more. I used to sometimes stay alone or witj my ils. I also used to count days and wait back for his return. But from last year I realised that both wife and husband needs space. I used to utilize this time meeting my friends and complete my pending work. Its fun sometimes abd both of them get a break from normal routine life.
    But love n bond is always there ss you can be in touch with each other so easily with all the latest technology available.
    Being together after long time increases your love and bond. You try to value each other more.
    Missing always there. But its altogether a seperate experience been away.

1 person likes this.
  6. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

I just posted a similar thread, or rather a rant yesterday; probably you read that too. While I have ranted out all the negatives, the responses that have come up to my rant made me think of the positives also.
    First and foremost is financial security. We are able to put kids to good/ great schools, enjoy good vacations, get good gadgets, save for a retired life (we both work in IT with no pension options)... able to get all of these since he is abroad and I too have a well-paid job.
    He is certainly quite sad that he is not able to see the younger one grow and doesnt get to spend a lot of time with the elder one too. But, it had been quite similar when he was working in India too since he used to come late from office on most days and by then the kid would have slept. At least now they spend quality time over weekends on Skype or Facetime.
    And, to an extent, I have been able to bring out interference from my in-laws and this separation was an eye-opener to him on what I meant to him. So, tht's also a positive note.
    I am a single child, since father passed away when I ws 8, I struggled a lot and took a lot of responsibilities while I grew up. So, I am quite independent by nature, and that has helped me to cope without him.

But, the separation truly hurts! This is the biggest negative... I still put up with this, because I have so many positives against this one negative. And, when I truly cannot bear is when I rant, like the ranting I did yesterday....

1 person likes this.
  7. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

I dont know much when it comes to the dynamics of married couple with kids.

But for newly married ones like me its a roller coaster ride. We have our own ups & downs. I had been living alone for quite some years alone and though I do miss many things, I love my solitude. It gives me ample time for introspection and train my mind to think before reacting to any situation. I can be all myself without exposing my weakness to anybody even to my H & parents. If I feel like crying I can cry out loud. I neednt explain it to anybody. This period has made me value people, relationships, appreciate acts of kindness & love, practice empathy, express gratitude and be more compassionate. So the more I nurture myself with all these qualities the more my loved ones are getting attracted towards me . Most important I dont want to lose my identity after marriage. I am very passionate about my job. I am the one who is staying away.
    At the same time I miss so many beautiful things & have felt terribly frustrated..Not able to live with my hubby, lie in his arms, get his kiss & cuddle, eat together, talk with him, laugh with him, go out with him as a couple, plan for future, meet my dear parents etc etc..Adding to it even our days of togetherness is full of drama..But still life is beautiful..

The more we miss each other the more mature we are in treating each other. Initial days of marriage are said to be difficult for a bride. In my case thankfully being away has done its own share of good to me.

It depends on individual thought process. If we can handle the separation for a year or two by being affirmative then its worth many things but if we are unable to and feel depressed and negative all times its better not to take any risk. Its ok to let go of certain pleasures to save ourselves and our relationship.

3 people like this.
  8. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

oh my you are truly a brave lady.keep going..

9. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

guess more women are willing to adjust.. that's the key I think.. as the kids are getting smarter day by day they also understanding whats going on in the family..

10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

sometimes the space is needed for anyone but how long is it going to be.. all your life you will be okay with this kind of setting...???