1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What should I do now?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweety127, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Hope you are doing good. Had been home for vacation & back to my place. Though this time I am not crying I know my life is heading in a different direction altogether..Hope god gives me peace..I dont want anything else.

MIL did not speak a word to me since day one. She did not even call me inside when I reached home at 1 am in the night. She just opened the door went to her room & shut it. Stopped cooking from next day & did not eat what I cooked. She left home early in the morning & just rushes into her room in afternoon..Again leaves home in the evening & comes in the night. Did not respond to her son's calls too. She had shaved her head & I sympathised her. I took onam gifts for her & when I tried talking she did not even turn to my direction..she just left the place. H is telling she is sick nowadays & she had told him that she would talk to me only when she feels so. Also when I asked about treatments he told she doesnt take tablets. But she seems healthy gets outside food & eats it. It was my first onam after marriage & she shut herself in the room..

I was angry told dh that this is not the way how a home should be. He told me to ignore her completely & that is the only way. I told am not happy & he told he cant help much as he cant leave his ailing mom. He himself told that either I have to ignore her & live at his home happily or go to my parents place & he will come and meet me occasionally . I told I cant bring disgrace to my parents so he told he will look for a separate accommodation & he will be with me few days a week.

I went to my future job place where I will be getting transferred soon & saw the accommodation too. It was wonderful. I told him I am getting prepared as I cant expect more from him & he was like I wont leave you at any cost & started crying..He started blaming himself for telling me to live alone & asked sorry.

He is a nice guy & I truly love him. My doubts are I am sort of ok with living alone rather than torturing him just like his mom.. We even met with a minor accident this time..These issues are taking a toll on both of us. He being affected the maximum. Whatever bad happens he starts blaming himself & takes guilt trips. He curses himself of inflicting physical & mental pain to me. He is a v positive person & nowadays he tells he is unlucky for me..He is getting insecure & totally stressed. Also our marriage is still not consummated & this time we noticed he had ED..All this is eating up my mind..
    Is my decision right? or should I stay there it self & ignore her completely. Really dont know what to do..How to handle this situation?

2. rmuramka

rmuramka Gold IL'ite

You know what..I might sound too cliched and repetitive, but please do not add more stress to your already stressed minds. Good that you found out his issue in such an early stage. Stay together, work on it and concentrate on your life together. Your MIL also is his responsibility, and from what I have read from your post, she seems to be ailing. Leaving her in this situation will only add stress to your DH's mind. For his sake, for the sake of both of you....just leave aside what is bothering you right now. Let him concentrate on his mom , and you..start concentrating on both of your healths. Take timely advice from respective docs...act on them. It is highly important for both of you to stay together at this point in time ..be there for each other and be each others stress relievers.....so I suggest.have some patience..leave aside the differences..let them not bother you. Get busy with your life..and things will stop bothering you automatically.

Hope things get better for you soon...keep us posted :thumbsup

3 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

????? How long have you been married? Haven't you stayed together enough??

1 person likes this.
  4. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Married for 9 months..we meet Three to four days a month & we take alternate turns. Leave problems, travel expenses limit our visits..Earlier he was v well & it was me who was having that immense pain & he was v supportive . This time I was ready to bear the pain but could feel the difference in his and communicated it to him. He was devastated & tried hard to perform. But seeing the amount of stress he was putting in I stopped him & made him take rest. This is next addition to our long list of worries:(

5. yellowmango

There was recently a thread on this ...non consummation due to pain during sex...and the Op had written how she overcame it by dilation by doctor.There was something about botox use in this problem too.Can't find that thread.....

Op.....I feel a lot of his insecurity could be also due to this. Try to see a doctor about it.

As for the living arrangement...how about getting a place close by so that he can look up and spend time with her and then come home every night.Then it would be a normal marriage. He could take care of her home and medical leave on saturday and spend the sunday with you as a couple.Since his mom is not ready to make any adjustments...there is no other solution.Unless you want your life to be an endless battle. Your husband will have to make this much sacrifice if he wants this marriage to work.

2 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

7. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

There could be problems and there could be more problems in a marriage.But a marriage that is finding difficult to consummate is a real BIG red flag.

Drama after drama seem to be dominating your marriage.Inform about your virgin status to your parents.Its important to involve your parents in this stage .You need somebody elder with authority to find out whats the actual problem.No need to face this circumstances alone when yours is an arranged marriage.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you ym & rmuramka fro your words.

Ym Regarding living arrangement No it is not going to be possible. I even asked him taking a big home with separate portion for his mom as he promised earlier but now seeing her plight he is telling this is only going to aggravate the problems further. This lady is now too adamant for anything. My SIL herself is not able to talk to her it seems. She has threatened suicide also I think & H is literally worried now as he has never seen his mom this way in the past. As you suggested earlier H has had enough talks & arguments with her stating that he wants to live a life with me & all she says is I will go somewhere & you both live happily. he becomes worried whenever she utters this & she is capable of doing that too to make our lives still more miserable.
    H is a person who wants his loved ones to be happy. His intentions are genuine & since I love him deeply am not able to ask him for separate living arrangement instead I find it ok to even stay away from him. If something happens to her that guilt will affect our relationship which I dont want to. So I am just struck up..Am I being wrong here? What else can I do in this situation?

9. yellowmango

Well sweety...every one is different.I wouldn't accept living in an arrangement like that as a wife is a wife and a husband is supposed to live with his wife and not visit her.It would make me feel like a 'mistress' not a wife.

Not much you can do to save a man who is cursed by his own mother.When a mother decides to poison her own son's life and make it hell...then the only option is to bear with her or leave her. Your husband is too much into her dramas to call her bluff.You will have to decide what you can bear with because your husband has made his decision clear to you.

Also....why does your husband keep saying "I won't leave you"?....is that even an option he thinks he has?...you should be the one saying this....with all the drama he has brought into your life.

3 people like this.
  10. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

@ ym all you said is definitely right. Hope god does something to restore peace in our household. H's father has died of a premature heart attack at a young age & he has the same genes in him. H is a v soft spoken person & he is under depression. I dont want to harm him further. I have a v strong support system & emotional security from my family but he has no one to even talk to except me. Yes I am denied the normal rights of a wife but am ready to bear it for his well being. If his mom had thought a fraction of it she would not have been this way.

I dont want to leave any stone unturned from my part. After my transfer I would be living with them & am v much ok if she shuts up this way. But for how long. She will definitely come up with the next tantrum..I will bear it upto the limit that is tolerable to me.Let him see with his own eyes & he should act rather than me pushing him to do something so that I wont be blamed in the later stage. He is still confident that this is a temporary phase and his mom is not that way & she will surely come back.
    So my last resort is temporary separation for my own peace.
    My mom is well informed of all the problems & is under the notion that a child will divert attention if we both really love each other & that might bring some peace. But i am skeptical..Coming to initmacy she too was shocked but again we had not been together even for a month since marriage so we being together is the first priority before we think of anything else..Benefit of doubt comes in each issue making it difficult to make a firm decision.