1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dil wearing shorts for a family function ???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Sep 5, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I want to share an incident.

Last time on a India trip,we had a function which we had to attend.The daughter in law of their house had also come from the US for a vacation.Since the function was around 9 in the morning,we were all there to find the daughter in law walk in short shorts.She also was sitting on the couch and talking to her cousin oblivious to other people.Guess she is yet to even take her bath. Everyone was feeling uncomfortable and many were commenting.The MIL was offended and took her DIL inside and we could hear some argument.Then after sometime,she came in wearing a chudhidhar. Now,the DIL was not born and brought up abroad,she is from chennai and went their after wedding.

Though it is the DIL's wish to wear what she wants,I also somehow felt the DIL should have adhered to a dress code as many people esp elderly were present. Also, chennai and the adults there are little more conservative..she could have worn those shorts anywhere else and not that particular day.Maybe my thinking is also old fashioned.

I have read many threads in IL saying women are allowed to wear whatever they want,wherever they want and mistake is in the eyes of the other person.I just wanted to know your opinions and see who was at fault.

Thank you.

7 people like this.

2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

With due respect to all those living in India, I want to take the liberty to express my opinion.

I feel Indians living in India have lost their culture. They feel it is 'cool' to rebel, to break the norms of their culture, and blindly follow western culture.

My cousin though quite young ( 15) was wearing a miniskirt, glittery top and stockings at her mama's ritualistic pre wedding function( gadegnar in maharashtrian culture).
    She looked quite silly to be frank.

My family was aghast, but her parents were ok. It is ok to wear a miniskit, but the place and the occassion should be suitable.

Smililarly one of my aunt arranged a grand haldi kumkum ceremony for her newly wed DIL, and to her dismay the DIL walked in with a jeans and a spegheti top!

7 people like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Exactly! Let us also hear opinions from other IL's.

1 person likes this.
  4. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

When people get confused over showing - off their standards,they actually end up showing -off their low standards.

I mean in the name of being cool and confident you end up in a mini for an indian ritual.... no really, you can cover yourself in rugs and still be cool.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    6 people like this.
  5. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I think it depends !!
    Like Op here stated that since the dil is born and bought up in India , does not necessarily mean that she wud have started wearing shorts when she went to US. I am born and bought up in India and I have been wearing shorts from when I was a kid and my family members are very comfortable about it. But I would still never wear shorts in front of my inlaws, it would make them uncomfortable and and also I would be uncomfortable before them. But if it were a function at my home, I dont mind wearing shorts, I know they will understand, but I would feel a little out of place because normally in fuctions u wud wear something fancy and shorts are never really fancy. They are comfort wear, not fancy wear. Its like as comfortable as I am in shorts, I wont wear it to a wedding!! Thats just plain common sense !!

7 people like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True weasly!

1 person likes this.
  7. kannadapreme

kannadapreme Junior IL'ite

I will agree with Anikaraj, ladies should wear appropriate dress according to situation which gives respect to themselves and family.:roll:

3 people like this.
  8. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Its not about culture or brought up, its all about a simple thing called commonsense. It shows the level of maturity the person has.

8 people like this.
  9. kannadapreme

kannadapreme Junior IL'ite

Yep Cinderella ,nowadays common sense has become super sense gigglingsmiley

2 people like this.
  10. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I always make sure that I am not the odd one in the group at any event. So dressing should be as per what others are wearing. If everyone is wearing traditional dress, then even wearing a saree would be attention seeking and uncomfortable.

While visiting India from abroad, people always see you with a different eye. I had worn jeans and tops bought from India and people asking me did you get them from US?

2 people like this.