1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband is too attached to his brother

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by trito, Aug 26, 2014.

1. trito

trito New IL'ite

I just got married a few days back. During the wedding festivities, my husband was spending an inordinate amount of time with his younger brother at the expense of spending time with me. This by itself I would have been fine with because they don't get to see each other much.

What was irritating was the way my husband kept petting and praising his brother like he was a small child. He kept telling everyone in my family that his brother was his favorite person, that he was the reason he was feeling so happy during the wedding, etc., with no word about me! And his brother is not a small kid... he's my age. He barely helped with the wedding -- certainly not even a fraction as much as my own brother did -- but the way my husband praised him, you would think he organized the entire thing himself. He uses very sweet pet names for him, but has never called me by anything other than my name.

During the mehndi, my husband barely looked at me, and later, he said he doesn't even remember the color or style of my lehenga (which I selecting partly according to what I thought he would like), and instead, he spent the entire function cajoling his brother to eat. His brother seems like the fussy type who refuses to eat without someone pestering him to, which is ridiculous for a guy in his late 20s.

Husband was more attentive to me during the actual wedding, thankfully, but after the ceremony, he disappeared, again running after his brother to eat and cuddling him and telling everyone what a perfect person he is. At the reception, he made his brother sit with us on the stage! It was so humiliating being up there with the two of them, when it should have been about the two of us.

The kicker came when he was leaving to go back to the States. (I'm following after two weeks, but due to jobs, we won't even be living together in the same place for some time, and will only be seeing each other every other weekend, if that. There's no honeymoon or any time alone together.) My parents asked him to come to dinner at our home before his flight so we could all spend some time together, and even invited his brother to come along as well. He refused because he wanted to spend time alone with him. And we weren't even married 5 days by then!

Now he's back in the US and I'm sitting here seething about this. I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I'm feeling very hurt and concerned about whether the future will be like this -- me and our future family taking a second seat to his younger brother. (I've heard of husbands being tethered to their mothers and sisters, but this seems like a unique case.)

He already spends a lot of money on his parents and brother, which I ignore, and so far, absolutely nothing on me (I earn my own so I don't care, but still). His parents are listed as beneficiaries on his bank accounts, because I can financially support myself, but they can't. We've been dating for some time, and I've tolerated this sort of behavior all these years. But I really think he needs to let go a little bit of his family now that we're married. How do I explain this to him without sounding insensitive?

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

You are married for few days or months. It is still very early to change the benefactors...etc . You give it some time.

About him not noticing what you are wearing doesn't surprise me. Not many men are good at noticing and appreciating things.

Making him sit on the reception stage with him is a bit over board. Nothing wrong in being affectionate with his little brother.

once you go back to US it is going to be just you and your husband. You will spend a lot of time together.

Just stay positive and don't let the simple issues make you feel low.

Congratulations and I wish you all the happiness in the world :)

3. trito

trito New IL'ite

He doesn't want to ever change the beneficiaries, he said. He also started saying he wants to schedule regular Skype sessions with his brother, but he's always too busy to talk to me, or even visit me. I just wish the first days of married life were a bit more pleasant. :(

4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

It is common in Indian wedding receptions, to have close family members on either side of the groom and bride on the stage.

If he invited his close female college friend to be on the stage, then it would be a cause of concern. Who other than his brother would you expect to be on his side of the stage during the reception?

5. trito

trito New IL'ite

I don't know. It would have been fine if I had my brother or family members too. Or if he had other family as well. But just the three of us, especially after all the attention he showered on him during the wedding, was strange.

6. thegirlygirl

Ok.....I don't feel your hubby's behaviour towards his brother was inappropriate. He must be his pet since childhood, hence all the cuddling and attention.

However I feel you are right to feel neglected since he refused to have dinner with you even the day before he was leaving you.
    I am sure you must be looking forward to be made feel special, you deserved it.

But since he is so attached to his folks, and the fact that you are newly married, you should be very careful and tactful while dealing with this
    If you directly blame his brother and his family, then he might be hurt and this might sour your relationship with him.

Just give it some time, if things still continue to worry you, then perhaps you could talk to him about it.

I suggest you tell him that you need more time and attention from him, without pointing out the time he gives his brother and his family.

Regarding being the beneficiary, I feel you are being too greedy thinking about this just few days after your marriage!

7. trito

trito New IL'ite

Greedy despite the fact that I and my parents paid for the entire wedding and reception, and he and his folks didn't contribute a penny? We even paid for all their clothes and hotel bills for their relatives. I honestly don't care about getting his money for myself, but when we have kids, I don't want them to be shortchanged because of his brother! (His brother doesn't have a career and will certainly try to get money from him as time goes by.)

8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

From what you have described of your brother in law, could he have some problem? Could it be that because of this, your husband has been overprotective of your BIL since they were children?

9. thegirlygirl

You should have shared the expenses equally between both the parties.

It was wrong of you and your parents to agree to pay for the entire expense, and paying for their clothes was frivolous in my view!

The fact that you agreed to pay for the entire expense of the wedding, does not entitle you to be his beneficiary just days after the wedding.

The mistake of paying each and every penny of the wedding was done by your parents, now you don't ruin your marriage by trying to make up for it by staking your marriage for it.

I am just trying to say that since your marriage is still very new, you need to strengthen it by supporting each other and standing by each other, please don't do the opposite by talking about finances at this stage, it will only weaken your marriage.

It is still very early to worry about your children's future. I again suggest, you wait for some time, and then take the needful steps after wisely thinking over it.

Good luck, and congratulations for the wedding!!

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You say you dated for several years: what does that mean? Emails? Going to movies and functions together? Living together? What do you mean by dating?