1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice - Thank you in advance.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rosemalar, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Rosemalar

Rosemalar New IL'ite

Sorry for the long post.

I am 30 and married for the past 4 years.

I married my college friend whom I have known for 10 years prior to our marriage. I was the more aggressive person in this relationship. It was I who proposed to him first and he was reluctant to accept me first until he saw me crying. He is a soft hearted person and seeing my crying he accepted me and I took this to my advantage of this.

For the 10 years we were courting (that is what I thought), he never once said I love you to me. He always says that I am his good friend. I loved him very much and to make him committed to me I initiated a physical intimate relationship with him.

I was transferred to US for 2 years while he went to Singapore for a job at the same time. He didn't try to contact me or gave me his Singapore number. I had to call his home and obtained the number from his mum. His family knows me well as his college friend as I have been to his house several times with our group of friends. In all these years he never once took the initiative to contact me. I made all the effort to keep in touch.

At the end of the second year in US, my family start to discuss with me about finding an alliance. I told my bf about this and I suggested that I want to inform my family about him and he was against this and asked me to wait.

I was adamant to tell my family and at this juncture, he told me that he wants a break up. I cried and pleaded but to no avail. I stopped eating for days and I made sure he knows this through my house mates who called him and told him.

After some begging, he told that he is in love with someone but that girl seems uninterested in him. Yet he don't have interest to marry me. I told him to give me a chance and that I can change him and make him love me after the marriage since the other girl is not responding to his affections.

He was reluctant but with my continuous emotional blackmail he relented. I informed my family and my father asked him to come to our house to meet him.

He continuously postponed the meeting until more blackmail from me. He finally came with the hope that my father will not accept him. But surprisingly my father liked him.

The wedding was planned with both our family blessings. He was not interested in the proceedings and planning. I thought that he will change once the wedding was over.

After the wedding, he was fine for some time. But on the second year of our marriage he stopped sharing the bed and slept in another room.

Both our families started inquiring about a baby but he was not interested. He showed no interest in anything. Even when I was sick and hospitalised he never bothered about it.

I also came to know that he inquired with his lawyer friend about divorce. When I confronted him he said he still loves that girl and not interested to remain married to me.

He rather stay faithful to her than to be physically intimate to me. This time my emotional blackmail was not working as he know that I am using that as a weapon.

He stayed with me as a corpse without any feeling and emotion to me and pining away for her. I even heard him talking on the phone to her saying I love you. For 14 years he never once said this words to me and that devastated me.

He is fully aware that I will not agree for a mutual divorce so he shows his displeasure in many ways by not coming with me for any family functions, and even told my father that he is not interested to have child with me.

Divorce is not an option for me as he was my choice to marry and I don't want to disappoint my family as I am an only child to my parents.

I asked him what he wants and he asked to let him go. I told him my condition that I want a child and I will not bother about his life any more and he can do whatever he wants with that woman or go to any other country but I won't divorce him.

He finally agreed to have a child as he wants to be with her than me. Its was like a mutual benefit. He gives me a child while I give him his freedom. He simply calls it as a sperm donation which makes me depressed.

I realise now this he never loved me in the 10 years courtship or the 4 years we were married. He has never held my hand. Never buys me anything and never celebrated my birthdays.

I am capable to raise the child on my own but I will not divorce him. What can I do in this situation ? Am I wrong to ask for a child for myself?

2. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

IMO, you both have acted in utterly immature manner and continuing the same.. You're honest enough to admit your obsessiveness for him. And he was not a child to be dragged into a relationship for 14 long years!

Pls don't bring a child in this complicated relationship and think about parting ways.. You both need to have a clean slate and move ahead!

1 person likes this.
  3. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Very sorry to read your post bcoz, for 14 long years you had been loving, mending bending, doing all stuffs under the sky to get the so called love from a man who is truely unfit to get you as his wife. Though you acted immaturely by forcing and blackmailing him and all, at the end of the day he is your husband for whom you fought so much, poor guy going behind a girl who never turned to him.

Though hard to swallow i accept what your husband told, yes its like sperm donation only. He never took any interest in you or your life be it physical, mental or sexual anything.

One thing is sure your husband is going to waste this life by merely wasting himself in to an unworthy relationship. I can understand that divorce will never be your option as you expressed all emotions to get him in your life so it would be hard for you to throw him, but he never deserves you is my personal opinion.

You can
    1. Make yourself strong to come out of this one, marry again
    2. If not then as he commented its merely sperm donation, please don't get devastated at all as he is nothing really in your life so no big deal to worry
    3. This husband must realize his height of stupidity and come back to you, this will happen surely years later when he knows your value.
    4. If you want a child from him ok right but make up, prepare yourself to answer the child in future. Also you are 30 now, in case if anybody else showers the so called love in future, will you marry him or you would bring up the child alone as a single parent.
    5. Today for the sake of yourself don't bring in child,only if you are ready to face the pros and cons do it, also you must never ever except anything from your husband at any point.
    6. Tomorrow for the sake of child why can't he change, come show his fatherly love to him or her. Strict No to all these.
    7 If you are ready to take up the role of both mom and dad do it, else no.
    8. You are young so you would have the feelings in you, can you put an end to all those and merely live for your child?

Self realization and self questioning is the solution for your issue. If you can find answer and be stubborn then mother a child with your husband else move out, begin a new life.

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rosemalar,

Sorry for being blunt here.

It is very sad to say that your H never loved you. It was him immaturity or innability to say a no firmly when it is needed. But with his acceptance to marry you, he wasted both his life and your life together.

However, it was completely your foolishness to force and use cheap blackmailing techneques such as crying, initiating physical, bringing a child into a dysfunctional marriage, stop eating etc..etc.. to make someone love you and live with you. If buying love is that easy, then no one would suffer in bad relationship.

Sadly love needs to come from the heart, and it does not require any such blackmails or force.

If you force someone to love you, marry you or bring a child into a relationship it won't help your desire to be with him anyway. See, you forced him to love you, you initiated a physical and somehow managed to marry him. Were you able to lead a happy marriage by marrying him. Perhaps, you thought by tying a knot you can lead a happy life. But that was indeed a beginning of everything. That was a wrong decision.

No... it was not the right way to make someone committed in a relationship. For me, it was just a technique to blackmail or hold someone, who is in a borderline and not sure whether to commit or not. You used this cheap technique, which sadly did not work well for you.

Because he did not love you, but he was sort of childish to accept your love and enjoy a physical with you at first. Once he getting a chance, he simply escaped from you.

After some begging, he told that he is in love with someone. He rather stay faithful to her than to be physically intimate to me. I even heard him talking on the phone to her saying I love you. For 14 years he never once said this words to me and that devastated me.I asked him what he wants and he asked to let him go.[/QUOTE]

Because he is in love with someone. Hope at least he would try to be loyal to this woman. Or not sure yet another woman being fooled by him/his inability
    Since he loves someone else, and forced to marry you (blame his shyness, inability or your bold and aggressive nature which he failed to confront, perhaps), you can't expect him to love you anymore. Girl, love cannot come this way.

Make a child out of love, not out of your own selfishness. For what sin, this poor child needs to suffer all his/her life?
    Please do not make this mistake. I understand from your history, that you may try to use this kid as yet another black mail to bring back your guy. It wont work my dear.

Yes. Totally wrong.

if you want a child for your future, adopt one. Or bring some child through a sperm donor. Don't force someone who is clearly not wanted to have a child.

6 people like this.
  5. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

I will be as blunt as i can OP. In your obsession to have this person you did not see all the glaring red flags which were there beforehand. He never loved you, only treated you as a friend and using emotional blackmail you forced him to marry him. Unfortunately for you he realized your game plan which was continuing with emotional blackmail and refused to participate in any kind of relationship with you after a year.

In your mind, you believe that by having a child you will tie him down and he will then never leave you because he will be obligated to the mother of his child. So you are using another trick and bringing an innocent child to this world to fulfil your obsession and become part of your scheme of things to have him for good. Do yourself and your husband some good and let him have the divorce. Please dont bring a child into this horrible equation. Please remember marriage is not one person's obsession but about two persons who want to live their lives with each other. You have already spoilt his life and if he is asking for freedom please give him so without any of your conditions.

For you, remember that old age saying - If you love some one set him free, if he is yours, he will come back. Let me add an additional part for you - if he doesnt (which is the most likely case for your husband) find someone who will love you rather than someone whom you can obsess with.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    7 people like this.
  6. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Please dont feel offended dear but I feel it was totally immature at your end to enter into a liason as important as marriage when the other person seems least interested. Also sorry to say but your husband is equally at fault for he didnt have the guts to stand for what he felt. He was not a child when he was married. Anyways bygones are bygones but now its time you move on. I know u are not in for divorce but whats the point in hanging on to a loveless marriage??

Also dont mind but please for gods sake dont even think of bringing a child into your life at this stage. I understand your urge to experience motherhood but a child needs love from both father as well as mother. Do you think your husband who thinks of himself as just a sperm donor will ever change for good even after having a child?? I sincerely hope my words prove wrong and he becomes a loving husband and father but what if he doesnt??

Think abt it with clear mind and then only take a decision.

God bless
    Meera

7. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP please re-read your post (out loudly if possible) and you will understand the issue..

You are the only child and hence you are used to all the attention from your parents and you are expecting others to do the same for you..Say suppose you have a brother and he is facing the situation of your husband...what would be your reaction?

You have never seen yourself fail(or atleast ppl around you made you win all the time) and you seem to be worried that breaking this marriage might make you look like a loser..

Don't hurt a guy saying that your parents will be sad and hence you can't leave him..Remember that your parents will be happy if you are happy.

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

TGIF!

It is terrible to not divorce him despite the fact that he never even wanted in, in the first place.

It is wrong to bring a child into this dysfunctional relationship. It is extremely unfair on the child that you know will not have a normal family. Ethically, morally, it is wrong. Also, right now, as it stands with all that you are realising about yourself there is a long way you need to go before you can mother a child. you really really need to go to a therapist and work your way out of your obsessive, blackmailing tendencies before you think of having a child or another relationship.

This relationship is a goner. Stop holding your husband hostage. Set him free. Once you have been to therapy and healed if you really want a child but not a relationship, adopt.

6 people like this.
  9. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Your life reminds me of a saying in tamil
    "you can bring a cow near the pond but you cant make it drink water".

As a only child you may have been able to twist your parents with your nature .But now you had paid a heavy price for it.Change your attitude otherwise you could harm yourself and a innocent child.

You thought getting your H by blackmailing him you still could have a happy life. You want a child but do you understand a childs need?

You may think that you had spend so much of your life to get hold of him you should at least have a child through him.

30 years is not too late to restart your life .

Some times its better to accept defeat and move on with our life.If you would have done it before itself ,you would have been better off.Try to do it at least now.Not every thing we wish comes true.

A child reminds you of the love you shared with your life partner.
    Every time you look in to your childs face you could end up feeling bitter.

Change your adamant nature for your own good.

10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Friday has arrived :party

2 people like this.