1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

do you think there is still hope in this marriage or is divorce the only solution.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by INAL, Aug 21, 2014.

1. INAL

INAL New IL'ite

Hi,
    Its been four years that I am married. For the last couple of months every day for one reason or the other I have cried silently. Every day I come to the conclusion that there is no way except a separation.i feel extremely lonely. I have no friends. Initially I used to share things with one of my sisters but for around three years now I have stopped doing that because I realized that all it does was to worsen the situation . cutting short I am in a govt job which is considered to be one of the most elite. Mine is a transferable job. I had explained my situation to my H before marriage. It was not a love marriage but we had quite a conversation and two three meetings before marriage. I thought I was thoroughly comfortable with him. But after marriage everything changed. He left his job in dubai and started a business in india. There was no honeymoon which was one of my cherished dreams. Within two months of marriage I were pregnant. And there was an issue as to who will stay with me.my parents came. Then I asked for some money because the expenditure increased during pregnancy but he said he is short of money. My parents also questioned about his work which hurt his ego. All these nine months we lived separately. That was beginning of the rift. At the time of delivery of my daughter again there was some altercation between my sister and my H. after this under the influence of his family or god knows what he suddenly and shockingly started using abusive language on me. My daughters birth was never celebrated and life suddenly turned hell. I could not decide how to bring peace between my H and family. While on my maternity leave I was not getting the salary as per govt rules. I continuously asked my H for some money but he denied on one pretext or the other. Now he started discussing the shortcomings of the wedding and family. after my maternity leave I went away to my place of posting. In weeks we had conversations. I stopped asking for anything but it was always my sister or mother who was a cause of a fight. He blamed me for keeping away. Except for sending some clothes and shoes he did nothing for the child. But I always thought all the problems are there because we are away. But on my next posting I came to the NCR so that we could stay together. But the more days we spent together the more abusive he became. Now the abuses are so very direct that they cut through my heart. It hurt me all the very more because I had never heard my father or brother using such language. My job earns me great respect in office and society but at home I m a bitch a whore and what not. He had a comment about all my friends though they were very limited. He checks my msgs my phone . he now points to my character on the basis of some past conversation which no one call objectionable. He bluntly stated that I should stop taking my daughter to my sisters place which I denied. I had cordial relation with my sisters but now I have started keeping to my self. It seems as if I m cut off from the world. As a form of protest I stopped visiting his parents. It further aggravated the situation. Even after four years he doesn’t seem to come out of his financial crisis. I am completely running the house on my own. I m so miserable that I don’t even look at the mirror. He comments on everything. My figure my cooking my character my family. And the recent height has been that he abused me in front of my peon. I felt like dying that day. But I have a daughter. Now people say its time to go for a second baby especially because we wont get time to stay together after this posting. Today I requested him to visit a marriage counselor but he bluntly refused and asked for divorce. Every time he concludes the conversation on a divorce but whenever I take a step towards separation he starts saying sorry without meaning it. Friends I m so helpless. After a fight he is sleeping and I am all awake at 4.30 am.. plz plz tell me if there is any hope in this marriage. At some corner I still love the man I knew previously. Plz suggest what should I do.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Re: do you think there is still hope in this marriage or is divorce the only solution

OP, you are earning in a good job and well position. On the other hand, your DH is still struggling to earn money. Go for divorce. He will not change. don't get into the sorry business. Tell him frankly sorry does not work

But frankly, you don't deserve the abuses. Just leave him and focus on upbringing your daughter. Take care of your health. There is no reason to ruin you health on this scumbag.

3 people like this.
  3. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Re: do you think there is still hope in this marriage or is divorce the only solution

I agree with Akansha, I have seen people ruin their lives in this "sorry" business. These people will never change and over the time they will become parasites on you. Please come out of it. Build your confidence and live your life with your daughter.

3 people like this.
  4. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I too see divorce as the only option here !! U r in an abusive relationship and no one deserves to be in such a bad situation !! I would have suggested marriage counselling but ur husband is not ready for it !!

2 people like this.
  5. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

Make a wise decision. Think about yourself and your daughter first . If you see no future with this abusive guy, I think you should consider divorce. I hope you don't have regrets 10 or 20 years from now thinking what are the things you missed or sacrificed in life for this man. He is not a good husband nor a good father....what is left in your marriage other than abuses and disrespect?

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Whatever you do or don't do, please don't get pregnant again. Don't bring another baby into an already difficult relationship. Work things out and only then have the baby. If you have even an iota of doubt left regarding the future of this marriage, don't even think about another child. It's better to focus on your daughter and bring her up right rather than toil with two kids with the entire financial burden on your head.

10 people like this.
  7. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear INAL,
    Government job wife is considered a safe bet for some irresponsible men.He had married you for your income and had no intention of supporting you at any point of time.

Now he is depending on your income,so he is trying to keep you under his control by

1. distancing you from your family and friends (no one to support you)

2. checking your phone and questioning ( sacred he lose good life if you leave him) .

3. negative comments (to make you feel inferior and stop you from asking about his short comings)

4. ask for divorce(to end the conversation and to shut your mouth)

5. Says sorry when you ask for divorce(he is sacred to lose your income and comes begging)

6. abusing before a peon(to show the damage he can cause to your respect if you think of escaping him)

7. difficult daily life ( reasonable behaviour from him can give you the space to ask reasonable expectation)

some questions op-

1.he had a stable job before wedding?
    2.his opening a business is a planned one?
    3.he took a huge risk to earn a fat income?(this category will go in search of moon)
    4.business is just time pass or pocket money earning enclosure now ?(not making plans to earn income if business not viable)
    5. He is a responsible son to parents before and after marriage?(don't ask his mom)

Answering these QS could help you conclude.If there is a red flag in all of them then
    op you are in an abusive relationship.This person is irresponsible and think that good life will come in search of him.The only care they will have is care for themselves.

Your plan to shift near him to give your marriage a try is commendable.If the man is not going to change ,the earlier you realise the better.Tell him every time he starts abusing that you want to separate as you cant take anymore.If he cant affect you emotionally he will start physical.

Your daughter has to take the consequences if you are not ready to decide.He may try to CONTROL her activities too and could make her life hell. Dont even think of another child

Take advise from a reputed lawyer now, otherwise you may have to run to the one available.
    Take precaution to convert all benefits from your insurances to your parents .

Prayers to you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    10 people like this.
  8. INAL

INAL New IL'ite

Thanks so much for all your thoughtful replies… honestly I didn’t expect such quick resposes though I needed it.. I want to explain a little further.. some of u suggested that my H is with me for money .. its true he does not support me and my daughter in any way but he does not even take money from me.. he manages his own expenditure, his car and guess he has also invested money in business and bought some land.. but I have no details of any of these..he never tells me. Its because we are always either fighting or he keeps lecturing the dos and donts of life..there are no topics on which we can talk freely just for the sake of it..he always tries to find whats at the back of my mind..i cant remember a single evening when we went out without a fight or me getting hurt(though even such evenings are rare)
    He is only happy when I am at his parental home.. when he comes to saying sorry he would shower me with hugs and kisses and would cook for me and make tea for me. All this leads to a some mending up although I don’t ever completely forgive him because at some corner I know that this is a temporary phase.. I go for a half hearted session in bed and after one or two sessions I am proved right and there is a fight and a consequential abuse everytime…the reason why he does not leave me is not money but its social.. he has unmarried brothers and a sister.. and he thinks that a divorce in the family would affect their family reputation and their prospective ties… whenever we come to a discussion about separation his main concern is that I will bring my daughter close to my sister and that’s how my sister will win the so called game..
    The day he abused me front of my peon, I asked him to shift from my flat he said sorry and said as soon as he gets a job he will shift. He also promised to quit his habbit of smoking ‘ bidi’ which is highly objectionable to me.. he also chews paan masala which is again abominable to me.. but he did not stop either of these.. and last night when he said sorry I asked him to go to a counselor but he bluntly refused.. and refused to quit his habbits.. at some level I still wish some miracle taking place and I be living a happy married life with him… but the answer is blank… can you advise me on this..

9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Dear, your husband is an emotional abuser.
    - he abuses you verbally and blames you for his rotten behaviour
    - he has withdrawn affection toward you and your daughter
    - he is trying to isolate you from your support system

Since you are clearly well educated and in a responsible position, I request you to go through writeups on emotional abuse and stories of survivors. Like you say, very many people like in emotional abuse wishing for that miracle of change to set into their partner. It is time to wake up and smell the coffee! That is not about to happen when your partner is a deluded person who thinks it is within his right to abuse / control you.

He isn't about to change. The sooner you get out of this abusive relationship, the better it is for you and most importantly, your daughter

as Laks says, PLEASE DO NOT have another child with this man. It doesn't do anyone any favours. Be strong. All the best

5 people like this.
  10. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi INAL , i saw ur post and the replies... everyone wants u to go for divorce... in thier won way they may be right.. but divorce is not a solution for this ,it will be a problem with different dimensions.

I can understand the pain u r going thru, but think about ur child, he/she needs a dad...
    the main reason ur husband is behaving so ,is bcoz the business that he started expecting better life made him at crisis. so he is not able to overcome that.. he is really worried that he is not able to give u money but he dont want to show that to u bcoz he thinks u may consider him useless....

The only solution is sit and talk with ur husband... u can tackle the situation... dont say abt ur problems... ask abt his problems , wat happen to his business... give some ideas to improve the business... give him some motivation... make him stress free... stop asking money to him for some days, adjust for few days with the problems u have, never tell him abt it... things will change he will realise his mistake....

take care
    sugu

3 people like this.