1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

totally depressed!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweety127, Aug 19, 2014.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Here with a new issue. Went to DH place and came back. DH has sent MIL out of town to prevent any drama. He informed her that I had come the next day. She immediately started without informing DH. DH & me were in my mom’s house that time when SIL called DH & told him to go & immediately receive his mom as she is on the way. DH was supposed to be with me that day as I will be leaving the next day..But he was forced to go & receive her. I was upset but he did not call me till night. Suddenly he called me and informed me that his mom fainted & is sick. Then he came the next day to send me off. He was like I did not even inform my mom that am coming to send you off. I told you should have informed. He told she might get upset as she is already sick. Suddenly topic drifted somewhere &
    he was like my mom expects you to take care of me, cook, clean the home etc etc. I am working woman in a high post & have enough stress at workplace. We had already had discussions on this & I clearly told I want a maid. He told MIL won’t accept that & instead he would help me. After that whenever we met he helped me (MIL was not around all these times). But now he is like mom doesn’t likes me helping you. I was shocked. I became emotional & told how much his mom abused me in the past. He instead told me to forget & sent me off. After reaching my place he is calling me as usual like a duty. Though he says I love you there is no love in it..So I sent him a mail on what my expectations are

He read the mail & did not reply back. Today again he was cold & I confronted him as to why he is this way. He did not reveal it at all saying you cannot find any solution to my problem. Asking you wont help as you being v independent would ask me counter questions. I really don’t know what to do and am not happy. Then he told you want only me and nothing else matters to you (meaning his mom). I will visit your parents as usual. I will be there for you and keep a maid for my mom. You can never meet my mom’s expectation. He then started telling I expected you to take care of my mom etc etc. I told him clearly that his mom abused me in the past & how can he expect me to be cordial with her. Then said I will carry out all the duties towards MIL & take care of her no matter what. I got angry and asked whether he really wants to live with me or not? Will I really be happy with him or not?

Ladies I cant understand this. MIL has verbally abused me, hates me to core, dominating & controlling. He is now telling that am not putting any efforts to mend the realtionship. How am I going to handle her? This guy who has been so supportive till date has started this blame game. I infact yielded to him saying that I will do all the work for them as I truly love him. I am just hating this. How to tackle him?

2. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Try to mend the relationship with MIL, atleast be polite & cordial to her
    Keep a maid for household work, no matter others like it or not

1 person likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I did not get along with my MIL for some reasons. She hated me and didn't want to accept the fact that I am now a part, an important part of her son's life.

My husband loved, and respected her the most. He loved me as well, but he did not respect me or my rights the way he respected his mom. He took my love and easy going nature for granted. But he always felt threatened about his mom's fragile ego and health.

We had a long distanced relationship in the past. So, my husband thought it is possible to somehow adjust with each other only for a certain days in a month. Although I needed a full stop to all this, I too didn't want to spoil my vacations. So, I gave in easily.

Why I am telling you all this is, I see some similarities between our cases.

However, after we all decided to stay together, and close to each other (we and in laws in the same street), I decided to speak loud with my in laws, if it is not okay with my H.
    I spoke with words, actions and by every means to tell my MIL and H that I have all the rights with my H, and his acting in front of his mom to show as if he doesn't care for me/love me is not acceptable.

Either he should be himself and behave the same every time. His mom should understand this. Or both should stay as mom and son forever and leave me alone.

It was clearly received by both at one point, and from there my husband started behaving as a man with a spine. That was it, slowly MIL too behaved as a reasonable woman.

Just that, MIL's unreasonable insecurity about me is gone with time. My H's reasonable manliness is back with time. I am as normal as ever.

6 people like this.
  4. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

THank you being loved & SGBV

I had totally stopped all communications with her as per H's advice. Though of facing her this trip but H sent her off & told me that its a surprise for me. he himself knows that she is the reason for drama. But now his talks are paining me.

What I cannot understand is he was v helpful all these days to me. I thought he did it out of love. How can a lady manage all work at home whereas a husband sits & chill out saying my mom doesnt like it..THats why I put counter question asking even my parents would want their princess to be the same always. I am not saying no to work. I am just asking for a help after I join him..I need to travel 50 kms after joining him. Cant these people have some humanity? I honestly admitted that I get tired easily & wont he care for my health. House hold chores can be done by anybody how can you expect a superwoman/ robot to be your wife?? I can be of great support to him in many other ways which not everybody can.

So now he is like I love you no matter what & you want only me. This MIL is abusing me & how can I ever talk to her on the first hand. Neither is he opening up..Instead saying that I can never help him out & that only fate will decide blah blah...Am fed up
    Isnt he being senseless??

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Why don't you visit your house when your MIL is present. Ask your DH to help at kitchen or hire a maid in front of your MIL.

Let your husband grow a spine. If he doesn't want to, then you must force him to do that.

See how he reacts in front of his momma. Some husbands are supper nice with their wife alone, but they are scared even to lift a spoon in support of their wives when their mom is around. Let him prove that he loves you in front of his mom by supporting you.

If he doesn't prove his love, then let him earn his love. Don't shower him with love just because he tied the knot. Let him behave like a husband.

Pleasing wife within 4 walls and then asking her to put up with unreasonable MILs is not acceptable.

He can continue to love his mom, but he needs to ensure that he and his wife are treated with respect. To love his mom, he doesn't need to bend over backward.

5 people like this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

OP, your husband is making you feel guilty for being yourself. Reiterate without drama, in a calm and polite tone that you aren't the one who caused a problem; you mean well and your proposed solution is to hire a maid for his mother.

You being independent is a good thing. Please do NOT make his (mum-induced/ otherwise) insecurities about having an independent wife a bad thing. There is no reason for you to be apologetic for being a high-flier. Be proud of your achievements since you must have earned it. (Or was it handed out to you on a platter just because! I'm sure not. )

There is no reason for you to bend over backwards. If after the drama you try to do it, this drama will never cease. Be polite but firm in all your interactions with your MIL. If she chooses to be crabby, it is her loss. Don't take it as a personal insult. Such mean persons who think they own their DILs would have done that to just about any woman her precious son married. It isn't your fault. So, stop trying to fix issues.

Tell your husband that you expect him to mull over your mail (you know what? He probably knows that his mum is at fault. However, he is taking it out on you as he doesn't know how to handle her. It is his problem. Don't make it yours) and get in touch with you in a couple of days to discuss it. During this time, if you really HAVE to talk to each other, I suggest you keep your calls short and sweet.

Be proud of the person you are. Be calm. Be happy. Refuse to feel guilty. And invite him to share the happiness. It will take a bit of time for them to get used to the self confident you who isn't eager to please. However, once your husband realises the harmony which he can have in his home, he should wise up.

PS: Read up book on self-confidence and drawing boundaries in personal interactions. Transactional analysis has its benefits too...

Take care.

5 people like this.
  7. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you soo much SGBV & guessho..
    The updates:
    I am a emotional idiot gals:( He called me again in the evening & I talked minimal. After going back home I purposely went out without taking my mobile. When I came back I was shocked to see so many missed calls of him. His voice was totally low & I too had no energy to talk..Cried badly..THen again during night call he was trying too hard to be normal..But I know him v well..He was sick. I was not able to keep the call short & sweet..He already told me that he has no resort except me & I was not able to behave stone hearted..So I talked positive stuffs of how we can make things work when go in the right path & how his mom will also be happy in the process though I exactly dont know at present.
    {Actually when during this visit I had been cooking, he had been washing. So the day when MIL arrived I cooked & washed most of the stuffs. H came & forcefully carried me out saying he would take care. Also the mattress, bed sheets of previous night were all lying all around & etc etc like this. He told he will do everything as the lady was expected the next day. So when she came it was a huge shock. So she started it seems now itself you have started doing seva to wife. Have you ever done it to me blah blah}
    He v hesistantly opened up after hell lots of persuasion & this is what he told,

" I as an individual want all around me happy. You & my mom are the most important ppl in my life. She is sick now & I cant be happy. But at the same time I want you equally in my life. She expects you to do somethings esp take care of me & your expectations are different. I understand your point but give me time. Both of your relationship had gone beyond repair. It was all my fault of not doing things & she is blaming you. So again the drift has come. All she told is she wont cook for us if you are around & you need to clean it up..If you are not able to cook we will eat outside. So my only request to you is to be patient & polite to her in case she talks. My mom is v sick nowadays & it can be seen from her face. This is mainly due to quarrels I have with her supporting you. Also you never talk to my sis. I dont like telling or compelling you so try to maintain a cordial relation with her so that we can seek her help in case of pblms. Remember my love is the same & all these are my humble expectations from you. I will never mingle love & expectations. Once things start becoming ok say few months I will get in to help you & make you comfortable."

My suggestions:
    Gals though I was moved, I clearly told that I will try my best to do whatever chores is possible from my side. I will also be polite to his mom.
    5 things to be done one is medical intervention (she has episodes of BP, fainting, chronic depression) to make her sleep & give some inner peace
    two is you as a son taking responsibility in curing her. He never talks with her though he loves her that much. So her insecurity can be removed only from his reassurances. I also told him to talk to her of how much imp am in his life. If his mom's intention is son's happiness alone she might stay away.
    three is my part.
    Four is his responsibility to stop her verbally abusing me no matter what as I cant take it as its my personality. Let her be quite I dont mind but no verbal abuse
    Five my parents importance in my life no matter what. So none should question them just because they gave birth to me.

All these together should bring in a change..We ve had enough..no more strength I have..THis man is equally suffering or more I should say.

@ Guessho: THank you so much..started reading bhagavad gita..

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Please do not take me wrong. My intention is only to help you. But at times, we feel it is no where reaching the OP, if that is not put in a blunt way. Let me explain :-

I feel your husband is taking this marriage at his convenience. He is plainly acting to both of you.
    He tells you to adjust with his unreasonable mom with a broken voice. Similarly he tells the same to his mom, to adjust with his unreasonable DIL with the same broken voice.
    As a wife, you are moved after hearing your husband's struggle. As a mother, she is also equally moved after knowing her son's plight.
    You hate your MIL for being unreasonable. She hates you for the same reason.
    Your relationship is broken beyond repairs.

You never know each other as you are leading a long distance relationship. You have no idea as to how your husband spend his day with his folks. Really he lives there with a heavy heart, or project to you as if he is upset.

The one who bad mouths about his own folks to his wife can not be expected to tell the truth or speak on his wife's side when he is with his folks. Probably he is equally bad mouthing about you with his folks.

He needs to be a good son first to behave like a good husband.

You can catch him only if you open up a discussion with your MIL in front of your DH. Don't inform, don't plan anything. Just make it as a casual but firm discussion.
    If your husband is truthful to you as you believe, he would stand by your side. If he is otherwise, he would fake an angry on you, and support his mom in front of you. Then he would cry and reason out his behavior when you both are alone.

I think your husband is taking your innocent love and emotional foolishness for his convenience. He plays a kiddish role when both the women are in fighting mode. He seems to be enjoying it too much.

I pray that my assumptions on your husband to go wrong, and your love to win at the end. But please don't continue to be blind folded in love, for safe side. JMO though

2 people like this.
  9. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

MIL is one person whom we cannot ignore lifelong.. I too had and still have some differences with my MIL. But no choice, we both have to bear with each other. Only for the lone person: my husband. For him, we both have become good actors... :)

1 person likes this.
  10. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thanks yaar..Lets see..Even his love for me is true but immature..hope things become stronger after I permanently stay with him..