1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this common in the US? Please HELP..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by reachmeusa, Jul 9, 2014.

1. reachmeusa

reachmeusa Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

My husband joined a new company and his female colleague who joined recently wants to carpool with him.. She doesn't know to drive and so far her husband has been dropping her at the station and she has been taking the train to work.. The commute takes more than an hour by train. Since her house is only few miles from ours and she speaks the same language (Tamil), she has asked my husband to drop her and pick her back until she learns driving.. The total commute to office takes an hour and I don't like this idea..

My husband says it's very common in the US and there is nothing wrong in offering a ride to a colleague.. He tells me I have problems and I have to go for counselling.. Since I was raised in a conservative environment, i couldn't tolerate this.. He says he cannot say No to her as she lives nearby.. Am I wrong? Is it ok to let him drop her?

Please help..

Thanks! I really count on your answers..

1 person likes this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear reachmeusa,
    I too think nothing is wrong in offering ride to a colleague. Why are you objecting....I am not able to understand.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  3. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Your husband needs to understand that if car pooling is so common in US than so are affairs. (Emotional affairs or otherwise.) So he should not say u need counselling for being uneasy about this. Thats just wrong of him to not understand where you are coming from.

how close are you to this lady? Could you indirectly show to her that this makes you uncomfortable.is there no other lady going that way that you can find that ur husband can tell her to carpool with? Dont fight about this with ur husband but do ur research and if u r able to find some lady that she can carpool with u can get out of this mess without much trouble.

And remember it is not that big a deal to get too upset about it yet. Dont let ur thoughts run ahead of you. Most probably its just because she is scared to drive. So don't show ur husband that u mistrust him as this might really hurt his self respect. Deal tactfully.hope this helps.

12 people like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I normally carpool with my male colleague who did not have a car. He drove my car, so that I did not have to drive long. Of course it is a win-win situation, so we both agreed. We have grown as good friends, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Very recently though, my husband too joined us as his work place was changed close to ours. So, my husband drives, I sit next to him and my friend sits in the back. If my husband is not feeling well, my friend would drive both of us, as we sit in the back. We are friends so we dont follow the formality.

It is very common here. I give lifts to most of my female colleagues too. Sometimes, my husband too does the same. As long as you trust your husband's character, and his ability to sense any wrong behavior of his colleague, it is perfectly fine.

11 people like this.
  5. simranraj14

simranraj14 New IL'ite

Hi,

This is common in US where colleagues take help for their ride to work. there is nothing wrong in this. You should be ok with the idea that someone is just sharing a ride to work.

3 people like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Apparently the OP, her husband and the so called lady colleague are all Indians, from the same background. So there is nothing about the US here. It is them, and how they tackle it.

7. reachmeusa

reachmeusa Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much girls.. I feel much better after reading your responses.. I had been researching the internet for the last 2 hours and everywhere it says carpooling increases the bond and leads to affair.. I kept crying and its 12 am here and not able to sleep.. He sees me as a suspicious person but I am worried that this would increase his bonding with the female colleague.. How do I stop this? Or am I completely wrong?

8. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

I see where your insecurity is stemming from; insecurities are usually triggered by our sixth sense or intuition or whatever we choose to call it. It may have to do with the particular woman asking for a lift or even your own husband, sometimes we just can't place a finger on why we feel how we feel.
    But it is absolutely normal to feel uncomfortable about certain people or situations. And normally, a spouse would not 'over' insist on doing things his life partner is not comfortable with. Unless the other spouse is genuinely over-reacting. However, since we have access to only your point of view there's only this much I can possibly say. Hope you both find an amicable way out.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    9 people like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear Op....just let your husband know you are uncomfortable with this arrangement and if he still wants to ...then he is responsible.

See how long this lady colleague takes to learn driving.

Better still, ask your husband to find a third person to join the carpool to put your mind at rest.

4 people like this.
  10. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

hi SGBV, her husband used the reasoning that it is common in US which i used to form my retort. thats it. no big deal.hope this makes it clear.

My objection is not with him car pooling but for his not trying to understand where she is coming from.he should have dealt with this without judging her and by addressing her fears in a better way through non judgemental conversation.

7 people like this.