1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should education be compatible?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Akanksha1982, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I present a case here of someone near to me here.

The boy is IIT + IIM graduate. The girl is MCOM. The boy's parents brings up the alliance to girls parents. Both are of the same caste, creed etc. Both get married. The boy was working overseas. The girl joins him after 3 months.

After 6 months of marriage, the boy decides to return home to his parents. He is the only child of his parents. Since returning home, the boy decides not to focus on work. He accepts a less paying job as per his qualification and that do is slacking off the job. The parents are supportive of their son, saying that he has worked hard for his education and he now needs to rest. The parents have been demanding the DIL to have her parents provide money and gold saying, your parents should have known this when they got their daughter married to an IIT + IIM graduate. Both the parents of the boy are university professors.

They also harassed the DIL by not hiring maid to do household work, demanding food at unreasonable times, frequently calling guests and having the DIL cook and clean for all the guests. The MIL doesn't help out in any of the house hold work. The girl's husband is a mama's boy asking mom's permission to even go out with his wife. The girl was caged in the house.

Finally, the girl's father went to the house to talk to the boys parents and recorded the conversation wherein the FIL was demanding gold and money from the girl's father. The evidence was then presented through a lawyer and due to fear of arrest, the boys parents agreed on a divorce.

My question here is should their be compatibility on education? An engineer should marry an engineer and a doctor a doctor and a commerce graduate a commerce graduate? If not the problems such as these arise.

2 people like this.

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

I feel it's not required. Yeah at times when both the partners are of the same field they understand their work and related things. My husband holds Phd in Engineering where as I have done my masters in public relations, well this has never caused any problem in our lives. I have taken a break from my job since I have a small child and my husband has been extremely supportive in this. Marriage is an emotional and social bond, which cannot be measured on basis of compatibility on education.

4 people like this.
  3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

The compatibility reqd is a good hearted decent person should hopefully marry into a good hearted decent person/family.
    iit or mba is irrelevant in the case u described

10 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Greedy creeps will be greedy creeps ...no matter what their education.An IIT+MBA ...with a serious handicap of self respect impairment is a useless good for nothing. He cannot even claim to be educated......nor can the parents.

the girl should have walked out the day the first demand was made.Period.
    As for the other harassment.......there is no reason to follow every order that is being given. She should have let the guests go hungry....they were not her guests.People who called the crowd should manage them. Shouldn't have cooked at odd hrs...just let them go hungry.They don't want to keep servants...let them do there own work. It's high time dils stop acting like helpless slaves and put their education to good use.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    7 people like this.
  5. HeartHealer

HeartHealer Guest

Hi Akanksha1982,

Bit tricky question to give a promising answer.

Ideally, as Ragini25 suggested above, a marriage is successful if a good hearted decent person with mature thoughts marry into a good hearted decent family.

In the above case, education compatibility is not the issue. The issue is the cheap thinking of the boy's family who took perhaps too much proud in their child's education, somewhere ruining his life. Surprisingly, the boy himself didn't stood up against his parents on demanding for dowry. What was indeed the use of all the education when it could not change the manner your brain functions, when it could not change the thinking. Ultimately, he is also in loss to have a divorce and may be a dowry case filed against him. Instead, he could have continued with his low salary job for a while and change it after sometime to a higher earning one, if he so much wanted rest.

But, there's another angle to your question.
    Education compatibility is preferred by many due to other reasons.

It is deemed that an equally compatible person ( in education and qualification ) can understand his/her partner best. What I mean to say is, a doctor can only understand a doctor partner well, a teacher can only understand a teacher partner well and an IT Software engineer can only understand his/her partner belonging to the same field.

It is considered, if a doctor is married to a teacher ( who works from 8-5 ), the teacher will find difficulties in understanding the odd working hours of his/her doctor partner. Similarly, a person who's not working in an IT industry find it hard to understand how the industry works, how the MNCs screw its employees, etc.

So, yeah somewhere a compatibility in education can be considered in arrange marriages. Moreover, like the above case, an IIT-IIM person would always want a special treatment, would be dominating, etc..leading to unnecessary issues. So, good is to marry him to someone who's equally educated to him, so the "dominating husband/wife" factor gets eliminated.

But, of course, important is how good is your thinking, how open minded one is, how clear are you in your thoughts, your principles, your ideologies, etc.

3 people like this.
  6. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Education is supposed to make us a better person. Its not an excuse to demand more and more from a girl's family. We all know how hard it is to get into IIT and get a good job. Personally, I don't understand why after all the hard work to complete education in a reputed institution, someone would want to settle for a less qualified job. But then it may be just me and there are exceptions of course.

Also, I don't think its necessary to have the same level/field of education for a successful marriage. Though it may be nice to have a spouse who understands your job and its difficulties, there are so many couples who are happy with different fields of education and work, including me.

4 people like this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

How are they not equal in their education- both have masters. Yeah I know the guy is from IIT & IIM blah blah but apparently after that that he seems a dead weight with career prospects that is nothing to write home about. Unless someone really gets to the top of their field or does something exceptional, a IIT degree is a undergraduate degree and IIM a masters.

Frankly there is no correlation between exceptional educational achievement and success in career. Many IIT's or IIM's just go on to be mid level managers and nothing more. Often times those that work hard and get good grades (does not have to be a top school or 4.0 GPA) but a well rounded personality go on to be overachievers.

Obviously with all those qualifications between him and his parents, they have not learned basic human dignity. So in every way he and his parents are inferior human being hence not compatible or worthy of this woman in question.

9 people like this.
  8. somehurt

somehurt New IL'ite

Everybody on this forum, please open your eyes to this. Engineering from IIT and BA/ BCOM are both graduations and equal. Masters (MBA) from IIM and MSC/MCOM from any institute are both the same and masters.

1 person likes this.
  9. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

It depends on individuals and their acceptance levels, if they have a problem with the gal's qualification in the first meet itself, they shouldn't have proceeded to the marriage, why spoil the life of a gal with such foolish acts

10. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

i understand that these were pathetic greedy creeps, wolves in disguise. However, somehow i feel that if one of the partner is not at the same education level then he/she is looked down upon if not the by the partner, but his/her family and extended family. I had this doubt when i first heard about the alliance due to the education incompatibility. However, i kept quiet, first because no one asked me about my opinion and secondly everyone was happy.

i am a software engineer and have a masters degree. I was naive when my alliance were being sought yet i had only one condition that the guy should be a software engineer. Today we are both working and we never had any issues from either of us or our family. We both earn nearly equal. I am a director in a small company and he is a senior manager in a very big company so nearly at the same status. I am not sure if I would have enjoyed the same respect if I had a lesser education. I think girls should be careful if there is inequalities in education. If one is lucky to have a wonderful partner and in-laws great, but if not it adds to the misery.

2 people like this.