1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help my sister - we are all helpless after many tries

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sadsister, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sadsister

sadsister New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I have been a silent reader of this forum and have taken many suggestions from this forum for many aspects of my life before. But this is my first post as I am now standing in a very unique situation. Also my apologies as this is going to be a very long post.

A little back ground about my family - we are a middle class south Indian family. Dad and Mom know nothing about outside world, all they care for is our well being and studies etc. Also they are very orthodox when it comes to marriages etc.

Me and my sister are always good at studies and regarded well by our relatives always. I had a love marriage (Intercaste) without my parents approval. 2 reasons why they couldn't agree to our marriage is we are still young at that age so they thought we are not serious, but DH and I are very serious about out marriage and career planning. They were forcing me to see matches etc and I had to take that step as I was not financially or emotionally capable of convincing them for out intercaste marriage at that time. but my DH family are very good from the beginning and helped us settle and now I can say we are settles well financially and my parents and relatives are all happy and we share good cordial relation with every one.

After my marriage my parents are a bit too worried about my sister and fixed a match for her as soon as she finished her B.Tech. That time every one thought that was a good match, and guy was good , well earning even though the guys parents seemed to be a bit backward in terms of culture. However soon after marriage there were problems.

1. My BIL never wanted to mingle with my parents and nor would he allow my sister to do that.
    2. He restricted my sister to not talk to me ever as I had an intercaste marriage and he also tried to restrict my parents to talk to me which they never agreed to anyway.
    3. He had mutiple affairs with many girls. My sister came to knew of this on their first night itself, since then they had big fights with in themselves, but she never told either me or my parents for atleast 1 year.
    4. Its been 9 years almost sine they are married and they are never happy. Sometimes her husband would say I would stop roaming around and sometimes he even admits and says its my wish and you being a woman are not allowed to ask whatever I do. He would beat her like anything - one time she had to get her head stitched and one time her ear has to be stitched. She did not tell all these things to us until very recently.
    5. She is working and earning good but was never considered a family member and always as money making machine. He took many loans on her name , took all her gold and put it in his family member's name in bank.
    6. She moved out of that house for 3 times so far and would stay seperate for a year and that guy would ask her to come back nicely for many days and as soon as she goes back he is his normal self. Same affairs, same harassing for money and sign for loans etc. Even though she earns about 1Lakh / month , she never would have enough money.
    6. My parents/and me always adviced her to move out since past many years we helped her whereever we could. Especially my parents, they almost took care of her son for 80% of his time on his earth. My mom took responsibility.

Another thing to mention here is my parents even though they started their life finally well to do, after my/my sister's marriage they had a very bad financial situation and could not give part of the dowry as promised to my sister. This was also one thing he abused her and my sister even now mentions as this as the reasons for her problems even though he clearly is an animal/jerk in all other departments of life. Never showed his fatherly concern for his own child. All though these 9 years even after many attempts my sister would say - I have to back to him eventually, how can I live life alone, let him roam around I don't care, atleast he has money. If something happens to me my son will atleast have money (My parents are good at taking care and love her son better than anybody, that's my opinion but obviously they don't have money. Me and my sister send some money monthly and they live with that. ) She gives money to them but always says your financial inability has given me this horrible life, I can't take you as a life time support. My parents suffered in silence as they are helpless unfortunately and I feel so bad for them , when they say that.

Current situation:

After 9 years of constant struggle now my sister agreed to divorce him and file a case against him last month. Now parents are taking care of her child while she is staying in PG and working in another city.

She constantly has fights with parents and always hurts them with very insulting and reckless tone. I don't know what made her think like this but she always thinks like my mom and dad are not good enough to support her. I agree they have some generation gap problems with her like any parents / PILs living under one roof with us. She thinks in a very negative way like if my mom takes an old saree from her wardrobe and thinking its old fashion for my sister, she would have a big fight saying you took my saree without my permission from my home. If I try to discipline her son (he is cute but at times very naughty like any boy) she would be hurt. She thinks I don't like him as much as I do for my girls. But somehow my girls are silent and I also shout at them if they are being bad.

The other problem is she constantly compares her life with others and says all are happy with their husbands. Everybody respects me and not her. (which is happening for real but we can't control the society, right? The more she behaves this wy , the more society would move away from her)Also she would always say "I can't live alone". The real problem is whenever somebody shows up knowing about he divorce saying I will marry she will blindly blieve in them and starts talking to them too long, and too deep. She would also give them her email passwords. This happened in just 1 month after her filing divorce. I warned her very strongly about this as that guy(unmarried) would say I like you but my parents don't accept a divorcee with 7 years son and still she would chat with him for hours sometimes even in midnights, says he is good and he understands her well. I can't just digest that my sister does this and get involved so much so that she shares her email password etc to a guy with in 1 month. When me and my husband spoke to her - she said she can't stay single forever and she needs companion. She can't get a better match as she has a boy , so she has to settle with somebody even if they come with problems.We said no body is asking you to stay alone but let your divorce finalize and keep these things on hold for a while as anything can happen in these matters and they can take longer sometimes. We can't make another mistake a this is her second chance and I don't know why but she always thinks she knows better and nobody else knows what is good for her. But she always keeps taking these kind of silly decisions and always make herself available for somebody else to pry on her. THis happened before also one of our relative told she would marry her , they both chatted for hours together for several mnths and finally he said, I can't marry you because I can't accept you coming with your boy. I wonder why this was not raised before chatting for so many days/hours, shouldn't that be her first priority?

Another problem is- Last week she mentioned to the lawyer that she wanted to give away the child to her husband as they have more money and they can take care of him better. Her reasoning is my mom and dad always fights at home (They do fight but that's always verbal and more over they are facing such financial problems) Its not like they are physically abusing each other which happened to her when her husband would beat her everyday to sign for money infront of her son. She mentioned that my mom and dad can't take care of him and I have nobody to take care of him if something happens to me , so want to give him away. My blood starts boiling at her foolishness. Forget about me I was no where in the picture, that's fine if she doe not believe me. My my mom and dad literally played his parents role all through these years and I felt that its most insulting way she talked about my parents. I wonder what makes her think that her husband who is money minded and no moral values with those kind of family members (worst family in terms of their language, culture and they don't have any empathy for other's tears and find guys should roam around and wife's should keep quiet and give away all she has as that's normal.) I wonder how that's a good environment for her son.

We are failing to understand how to convince her. I seriously ran out of ideas to talk ot her. My parents every day call me and ask me as if she listens to me, but I know how she back talks and never listens / understands why I am saying that. I hate to say but my respect towards my sister is slowly weaning off and find it hard to digest that she is trying to give away her own son, just so she can find a better match with out him, but situations are making me think like that. I hate to think like that about my own sister but I am seriously feeling sick when I think of her boy. Do we have any ways to get some sense into her? How to convince her divorce is not end of life and sometimes being patient is the best thing to do to get life back on track. I don't know I am lost. ANy suggestions please?

2. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Hello friend,
    At present she is not in any affair or interested in any guy right. If yes then you please take effort to find a match to her who would accept her with her son. Explain her that in the entire episode the poor boy is the most affected one, to give away your parents never brought him with good morals so just promise her that you will find such a match for her life. Start the process today, before she speaks to the guy you explain him.
    You sister doesn't realize the value of the child today but will surely do. Tell her to take the custody of the child leave to your parents for some time then ones she settles in marriage ask her to love her kid. Meanwhile put the kid in a boarding school so that he studies well once you people sort out things tell him all in detail after he reaches 12-13years. Plead her not to give the child to that jerk who would destroy his future.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

I feel for you and especially for your parents. Has she always been like this, or has her behaviour towards parents changed a lot after her marriage. Looks like she must have bottled up a lot of frustration and anger living with the nasty husband and its all coming out and ur parents and you are getting the brunt of it.
    she is holding ur parents resposible for her condition of her life in her mind and is punishing them at times by saying all those stuff. She needs to get serious counselling from a proper professional. In the meanwhile you need to talk to your parents not to let what she says hurt them too much by knowing that its her hurt and anger from living ina abusive realtionship that is coming out. They also need to reply to her accusations back and tell her how they have indeed been there for her.
    she needs to be told that if she does not want to be alone she needs to keep her child as the next relationship is like taking chances and the second husband might also be not good but her son will be there for her life time.
    good luck and good on you for being so caring for her eventhough she is being harsh.

4. sadsister

sadsister New IL'ite

No , I seriously don't know what level of commitment she had with this colleague who said to her that he is interested in marrying her. Beause she shared her email password which to me is something that we would do when we are committed to a person after all confirmations. But he still says my parents won't agree so I will have to firs marry you and then tell them which I fear a lot. She says my husband also married me like that and now we are happy which is not at all comparable situation. Reasons, my husband told his family in all honesty before we got married and he knew 100% that his parents will accept his decision, he simply did not tell his parents about our marriage because then my parents would have hold grudge on them as if they secretly married us. He purposely avoided them in our marriage because he thought it would be worst things for both sets of parents to throw abusive words at each other in such moments. Now that turned out to be a very good decision a both our parents are really good with each other as if they are good friends. My mom would consider my MIL's suggestions in such suggestions as my SIL is also a divorcee but for no mistake at all of her and husband is a lazy dog and will roam around women who will come with a suitcase of money so can eat without having work. THat's a different story and my SIL stays with my PILs. Hence my Mom would consider my MIL's suggestions because she has gone through all this as a mother and can understand the pain of my mom and my my sister.

I can't simply answer her when she says you also did the smae thing , and you are happy. But now she is a divorcee with a kid and can't understand why she want all those troubles with a family who does not like her at all? I am suggesting her to carefully take this decision and she should 100%consider the guy's family this time around as she want to be loved or atleast welcomed by them. I am even saying lets see if we can find a guy in similar situation(seperated /widowed) so he can understand her troubles and pains and hence will prove to be a good support for her. I hate that my sister is allowing this colleague of hers to chat with her for hours together on mid nights even when he told his family won't accept it. And all this is happening at the back of my parents who are constantly worried whether she is feeling alone, would commit suicide etc out of loneliness. When my mom told me that she is awake mot nights till late nights and suspected something but could not ask her because then she would either shout at them or divert them but would not answer them anything peacefully. I feel bad for my parents in this whole episode , they are 60+ each and still worried about her but she would least respect them - constantly shouts, uses bad words, gives reckless answers etc. My mom also is slightly control freak where in she constantly nags my sister to get nice dresses, buy good stuff for her son, and herself, and share some of his daily routines, be respectable etc because she is concerned and my sister sees this as a big problem and thinks she can never live whole life with them as they are constantly on her behind. I don't think any parent would keep quiet if they see their seperated daughter talking to someone else in midnights and they will question her for sure.

In many incidents her husband said really really bad words to my parents. My sister would also say that to them soemtimes like - yes my parents are worthless, yes I agree my parents don't know anything etc in front of them. Even though we would be angry as soon as we knew we always convinced ourselves like she is struggling and frustrated , hence so harsh, but I don't really see any grattitude from her for all the help my parents have done. Yes, She shared their monthly expenses , but that doesnot mean that she can ask them for expense breakups etc, which to me are very insulting towards elderly parents. I would rather say don't have money than to ask like that to my parents. (I really hate to see my parents current situations, I want to keep them happy atleast for few days by getting them to stay with me in abroad but they can't come leaving her and her son behind) I am starting to accept that my sister's fate is never gonna change with this quick fix & reckless attitude, but again can't stop thinking what will happen to her and her son. Its being a constant hate & love cycles for her in my heart these days.

5. introspection

introspection Silver IL'ite

After coming out of a relationship, a person experiences a lot of negativity, bitterness and starts experiencing all the pangs associated with separation ... and this feeling might take years to go away. The loneliness, the face-book fact that that everybody else is happy and I am the victim syndrome ... ..dictates the persons behavior and then begins a stage where you start losing friends, family, experience isolation etc.

I guess the best thing to do is to get her to go to a good counselor .... its a very tough phase for your family, but this too will pass .... her experiences are clouding her judgement .. so best seek a counselor ......or a relationship expert ..

1 person likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Kindly try to convince your H to adopt your sister's son if possible. In this long thread, all I could see is the vulnerability of the little 7 yr old boy. Who is being played by his parents for none of his mistakes. He deserves a better life. At least try to sponsor for his life, while allowing him to be with his grand-parents. You will get some good blessing from God for this.

Convince your sister for this, and let her chose her way out.

I can understand your sister's agony of losing her whole life and desires. She is not in a good mental state to accept her failure and move on. But in between her agony, this poor child's life shouldn't be ruined.

6 people like this.
  7. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Try to talk to her Colleague to leave her or atleast tell him to convince his family people to accept her. Then ask him to continue the relationship. Surely this one will put her in distress if fails so better look before leaping. Please don't bother about your sisters life if she continues to be like this so adamant and treating parents so mean. Better take the custody of the child, put him in a boarding school you and your parents are the only support strength for the budding champ. So let her go her way, matured grown up adult must know what she does. Leave all these see the child, if you can take the kid and your parents do that.

She is wrong, her failed marriage life is the reason you loved and got married your way you are happy but your parents brought the match and she might think they have ruined her life. So she can't accept it, she has the urge to prove that she can be successful but the path is wrong. Nobody can talk its self realization that can prove the height of stupidity she is committing now. So stay away from these, do something for that kid who did no mistake except being born to her for which she is spoiling his life. Ask her a simple thing she knew her husband's attitude and other scrappy things then why baby and now asking to Leave it to him.
    Let her decide.

8. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Totally agreed with SGBV.. your sister is not in right frame of mind and she might take a decision which she'll regret later on. She has seen hard life.. try supporting her mentally, physically, emotionally and silently.

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear Op....while your sister's husband was abusive towards her...one can say the same thing about her behavior towards your parents. She is an ingrate who does not value her parents who inspite of their financial crunch gave her a degree that made her an independent woman.That she chose to stay in an abusive marriage for so long is her own fault.She is educated and signed for loans in her name in an abusive marriage.She has no one but herself to blame.

As for the son. If she is not taking care of her son/or willing to take care in future ,then the son belongs to his father.The first right over children belongs to the parents...not the grand parents. While her husband may be a vile low life husband...it is quite possible that he may not be a bad father....besides he is definitely better than a bitter mother who thinks of the child as a burden to be off loaded to the one with most money.Your views about the father and his family may also be biased by your being the sister of the abused victim.

Your parents may love the child but if they are verbally abusive to each other then it is not a best environment for a child to grow. You may not think so because they are their parents. Looks like the poor child has a choice of a reluctant mother with abusive(to each other) grandparents and a father with not such a good background. In my opinion...the father has most rights here. Your parents or you have no rights unless the father gives up his rights .

3 people like this.
  10. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

OP, possibly your sister holds you and your parents responsible for her failed marriage. Please dont misunderstand me, but she may be feeling that because of your marriage, your parents got her married to a person in a hurry. This resentment is manifesting in different ways. Such as feeling that people respect you more than her, shouting at parents etc. Maybe she feels that everyone else around her is happy, and she is not.

I agree with one poster above who said Facebook syndrome. It is unfortunate that everybody is addicted to FB, constantly posting their happy pictures, trying to give an impression that they are leading a happy, picture perfect life, with no worries or problems.

For now, try to take her to a counsellor, a qualified person, who can explain her behaviour to her, help her identify the reasons for it, and put her on the path to recovery. It is important that she spills out all her fears, sorrows, thoughts, to a third person, who can help her heal.

As for her son, as someone suggested, try to tell her that you and your husband can take care of him. Instead of adopting the child legally, you can become his guardians (if you want it to be legal, for security reasons), so that he will continue to remain her son, while getting a good and safe upbringing with you.

Good luck, OP, hope your sister finds happiness in life. Hope your family finds peace and happiness.

1 person likes this.