1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my fault?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by soulhappy, May 25, 2014.

1. soulhappy

soulhappy Silver IL'ite

Dear iLS,
    I had an arranged marriage and my husband abused me from month one after i shifted overseas. He stayed with me for about 13 days after marriage and first thing i noticed was him speaking very rudely to his mother that too that time i really got scared because she said something in the car about getting ready for the reception.
    I got abused for no fault of mine. I was in a foreign country with no family. His family is completely new to me. But my in laws were a bit inconsiderate and they blamed me for all his fault. He had his close relative here. I got abused by my husband because of them and whenever i speak to my MIL she will brush it as if it is my duty to get abused. Its unfortunate that because of my husband i lost respect and these people who brought him up accuse me that i am a wife who does not know how to put my husband in my hands. My husband has all the qualities of an abuser plus they all judge me and my MIL tells me May be if she would have got her son married to another girl,may be his life would have been nice. I never was egoistic nor was i abusive. I was extremely patient like a doormat. They ruined my life and they advise me and not a single apology from my inlays for knife injury or abuse i faced. Is there a solution to an abusive relationship? Plus these people facilitate abuse and violence by advising the victim to heed to abuser's demands and they speak that indian traditions and customs allow them to do so and they say that its my fate to undergo all that. They are all very educated. Luckily my parents are not like that and they are not conservative.

1 person likes this.

Similar Threads
    1. ARIKA
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. HHj
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. satchitananda
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

There are laws to deal with such people. Use the domestic violence law to get justice.No point living a life of self pity and not doing anything about it. If you won't take a stand...no one else can. Get out and take help of the law that was meant to help people like you.

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Are you still with that knife throwing abuser?

4. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

LEAVE and file a case against him and his family.. a case where your IL are aware of the entire situation and want to turn a blind eye to it.. they want to blame everyone rather than face the stark truth staring them at their face.. they got you married to this loser in spite of knowing his history they are to be equally blamed.. one decision and one call to your lawyer thats what you need! take care and i hope you understand that you cannot be treated like a doormat by anyone..

1 person likes this.
  5. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

and please stop saying it is your fault.. you are a victim here and a classic abuser will always make his victim feel that he or she is at fault.. and here his family also makes you feel the same..

1 person likes this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

If you have support of your parents, leave him and file a case and get a divorce and start a new life. He will not change and your ILs will not change. But the only person who can change your life is you yourself by taking matter in your hands.

7. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

You need to get a report filed immediately.... are you kidding me.... You are knife handled and still confused on what to do... ?? have some love for yourself .. call the police --- abusers need to know they can just mess around with women...... take him for councelling... DO SOMETHING !!!

8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

I think that the fact that you post this here shows that you deep down inside know very well somewhere that you are NOT wrong not even at 1% coz no one deserves to be treated like that even if quarrels come up in marriage as they come in every marriage.
    Handling you with knife? Please be very carefull as your husband seem to be a quite dangoros kind of abuser.
    If your parents dont know yet inform them about the full extent of what you are going through. Dont expect any support or understanding from your Ils side, it wont come, it rather leave you in a more vulnerable state as the will gang up with their son. I guess they knew his character before they married him to you. His mother seem to try to keep u lil with trying manipulating tactics, dont fall for it. Dont ask for permission to be treated nice, take your right.
    Collect secretely your things like jewelry with excuses and collect evidence of what happend to you too. Leave to your parents house with an excuse if he wont let you go peacefully, if you smell any sence of dangor get help.. threatening and injuring with a knife is a really big thing so be very carefull about your actions. Try to get proof of how he treated you. If your Ils knew or even saw what he did to you they are equally to be blamed, not only morally but by law too. I agree that its a good idea to file a case. After you left the house to your parents place pleace dont meet them alone without anyone guarding you anymore, dont talk to them without recording the conversation, dont put yourself in dangor or give them space to keep on abusing or manipulating you.

I ask you for so much carefullness with handling your situation not coz i generally support filing cases or divorces but coz the very fact he attacked you with a knife proofes for me that you face a man with a real deep issue - i dont mean to scare, please dont be more afraid, but be strong.

Wish you all the luck and strength in the world.

Edit: if its too dangoros or he cud track you collecting things before you leave and there is any chance he get furious and attacks you again, just sneak without everything out there and dont look back. Nothing in the world is worth your health.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. Lilipad

Lilipad Senior IL'ite

You are young ,and i know for a fact that if you keep on tolerating this person , he will only excel in abusing you , so for your own sake , do something about it ...If you do not report the abuse , no one will know about it , plus if you can't stand for yourself no one will ..

Good luck

10. soulhappy

soulhappy Silver IL'ite

Thank you all. Am not mentally fine and i have severe depression and mild PTSD symptoms (My GP told me it and she told me to fill the questionnaire in the next visit but has not confirmed it yet)and it affects me seeing people who are his family members plus friends. I agree i do go for self-pity. i have severe mixed emotions and i do have mistakes on my part as i was depressed most of the time plus i should have got out of this long time ago. Some of my inlaws are good only but i feel they don't care about me which is true. Sometimes deep inside am fuming for anyone will not understand my deep emotions. God will take care. thank you. This thread can be closed. I don't want to bring back memories. i don't want to go through stress again and am separating mutually and getting divorce.