1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem in Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mnoo, May 13, 2014.

1. mnoo

mnoo New IL'ite

Hello all. I am new here. This is my first post and I want advice from you.

My husband and I were married 2 years ago (arranged marriage). We are both doctors and we married after my husband got residency (PG) in US. I have been on a H4 dependent visa since then and these 2 years I completed the exams that would allow me to practice in the US and have been building up my CV.

We dont have any monetary difficulties or problems with in-laws.

I am by nature shy and calm person.

Six months ago my husband slapped me for the first time. I no longer remember the argument we had however I do remember that I called him foolish which is what he has been calling me too during the argument.

The next time slap was when he felt that I hadnt been practicing for interviews like he had been harassing me to do. I threatened to call the cops if he repeats it again in an email. He came home from work that day and told me that my behavior was destructive and started yelling and asking over and over again why I hadnt been practicing. Why was I so reluctant to talk to others Is it because something happened before marriage? I took all his abuse because I felt I deserved it for neglecting my studies for so long. This lasted a week and the tirades were never ending.

The next time was when he came home and asked about a weird smell. I replied to his question but he didnt hear it due to the heater. He slapped me hard because ' weren't you supposed to know that I cant hear and came after me to answer that question'.( I was reading something important at that time). I refused to talk after this and later I explained how this was ruining our marriage and he promised not to repeat it again.

The next time was when I screwed up and revealed something I shouldn't have to a friend of his when I went to stay at their house. It was genuine mistake not pre-mediated. I explained this to him and he became more paranoid that he was going to lose his job over it which seemed too far-fetched to me but then he wasnt listening at that point. He accused me that maybe I had 'liked' his friend.
    He berated me for a missing luggage in that trip which was the airlines fault not mine(the luggage was later recovered and they even gave compensation for their mistake). Until then he kept telling me that I had made a mistake and forgotten my luggage. He asked me to leave his home and go back to India. This lasted for three days.

Finally on Feb 14, he slapped me again because I wasnt agreeing to his plan for pregnancy. I had been diagnosed with PCOS which causes weight gain, pre-diabetes and infertility. We took a bigger insurance last year as fertility services are not covered. He planned for me to take the fertility drug. I was initially ok with it but later had some reservation about the combined effect of my condition and the drugs (plus the stress of starting a new job). I was not prepared to take the risk of putting my future child at harm.I talked to several doctors who advised me to lose weight first. I explained this to my husband but he is adamant that some risks in life ought to be taken and couples who come to US like us plan for parenthood at this stage. I didnt agree and he slapped me again.
    He didnt talk to me for 2 weeks and the first thing he asked after that was what had I planned reg pregnancy. I was so mad. I had asked him not to touch me but he didnt respect that.

I am now back in India now but I will start residency in the same hospital as he is in July. Since the last incident I haven't talked to him properly. He overall behavior is like this' I know I made a mistake, but so did you. However because I am a mature person I apologize so stop your sulking and get back to normal.'

He also accused me in the past that I deliberately kept my PCOS secret before marriage which is so unture. He threatened me with divorce during arguments.

I dont know if this is relevant, but he is also a webcam dirty chat addict that he promised to stop but has been doing it on the sly gradually. He said he would no longer keep in touch with the girl he once loved but I know he said hi to her in an email after our last argument. He called me by her name on our first night and despite my repeated questions he was adamant that it wasn't a big love affair or anything.

Sorry for the long post but can you give me any advice. All I can think at this point is I cant live like this. I dont/ cant think from his side anymore.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Do you really want to spend your life with a man who thinks slapping his wife is right?
    Did you inform your family about this slapping and his web chat girl friend?Do his parents know about his slapping habit?

2 people like this.
  3. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Dear Op!
    What he has done is clearly abuse-physical& mental.Best way is first talk to your parents/brother/sister someone who you can open upto& will support you unconditionally.Its clear he has some psychiatric problem since normal men dont beat their wives,accuse them.Unsure whether you still want to continue since after the child the abuse is only gonna get worse-he will get many more topics to abuse you.And forcebly pregnant-is he mad or what-with obesity,taking fertility drugs will put you at more harm!!!
    To me he looks like someone who is interested in always keeping control,somehow it escaped your notice & now it has surfaced.
    As a doctor you should have halted him the first time he hit you.Legalities will be known only to ops who are residing in US .Take care.

4. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Dear you are an educated girl. Please do not take abuse. Have u told all this to your family. I would tell you to separate from him. Because I feel he is not going to change. Live separately for sometime and figure out is this relation worth saving without getting physically abused. Hugs to you.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

What you describe is physical and mental abuse in my eyes. It seems like after he could get away with his first attempts to abuse you he thought your easy target and wont take any steps against him. The more often this repeats the worse it can get, he is very secure now about his grounds and that you wont change the situation to defent yourself. Please be really carefull, such behavior is often a spiral downwards where it gets worse. You are absolutely right in not getting pregnant.
    Why are you exactly staying in this marriage? Is it possible to go out of his way in the hospital? If not for how long will your residency be approx or is it possible you change to a different one? If you havnt yet talked to your parents please consider doing so.
    Stand up and be bold, draw your broderlines and stick to them. Dont allow him to threaten or slap you - it will be more then slaps even in the future so try to stop it here and now.

4 people like this.
  6. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

you are very well educated you know this is wrong.You need to act now.Dont at all become prego that will make situation more complicated.Start planning separation.You need to become financially independent too.Dont leave job at all.Also dont work in same place as his.

7. mnoo

mnoo New IL'ite

Thanks for the replies.

My parents both are supportive and left the decision up to me. They will stand by me whatever decision I take.

It will be something of a mess having to explain why I will not be staying with him both back home in India and at the hospital where both of us will be working and have a lot of mutual friends.

I agree that he is not showing signs that he wants to change (a foolish hope on my part),He hasnt once called me of his own free will since I came back, insists that my behavior is not appropriate, told his parents that my mother is manipulating everything behind the scenes.

The webcam chatting is with several woman who demand payment for 'sessions'. He is into BDSM, though to his credit he has never insisted that in our married life.

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Can you get a separate place for yourself in the US?
    Working in the hospital should not be a problem as you are unlikely to work directly with him.

Let him worry about it.He is the one in danger of losing face.

3 people like this.
  9. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

physical abuse is to be condemned. It has to be seen that OP's husband does not repeat this physical abuse again, provided, she reconciles and again lives back with him.

Personally I am against the idea of encouraging some one to go for permanent separation, at the outset itself.

Some one has started a thread seeking solutions to the on going issues in her marriage. Though 'separation' is definitely an option, it should be resorted to, only after exhausting all other options and only after giving a fair trial to the option of living together in at least in one more effort.

'Permanent Separation' is not the first option, though the OP herself is probably in 'temporary separation' now.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

LEAVE now.... your husband is a typical abuser who makes you feel you are to be blamed for the abuse... Get away from him.. he will never change..

2 people like this.