1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Office Ladies troubling me mentally !!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by dhruva19, May 3, 2014.

1. dhruva19

dhruva19 Senior IL'ite

Dear ILites,

I am married for 10 years with two kids[Son is 9 years and Daughter is 2 months]. Life cannot be better than this as I have a loving WIFE, money, kids etc.

Even though lots of couples in our nearby relatives are not happy, we are doing great compared to them. We never fight or treat each other with less respect. Never have verbal / physical abuse or even fight for more than 1 day. Maximum I might have given silent treatment and she will be the one who will ask sorry and I will budge as a small angry child budging and giving a kiss to its mother. Anyway I realize i should stop such things but I am unable to keep my ego away and ask her forgiveness every time when we are trying to patch up after a fight. But if I count may be we are having 2 big fights on an average for 1 year. So it is not much fighting I believe. So overall our MARRIED LIFE is going great. She is a great MOTHER to my kids. I will never ever get such a loyal WIFE in this world[She is very very beautiful/pretty/almost like a Bollywood actress to look at].

I am now staying away from my WIFE for the last 1 year without much chance for meeting in person. I usually travel once in 2 months on average to meet my family in Bangalore and stay there for 2 days and come back to Mumbai to my work place. Recently we got our second kid a cute daughter and my wife is taking care of my two kids in Bangalore with help from my mom , maids etc. I am planning to move them here to Mumbai next month.

So coming to the issue I want to raise on this forum. In my office there are some Ladies who seem to be trying to come closer to me for whatever reason I am not aware of. 2 to 3 office ladies act weird when I walk past them in the office corridors. Also I am the Head of the IT Department and the youngest of all the HOD's in our entire Office/Organization in Mumbai branch. So naturally I have to keep a very decent posture and behave more polite than others in the organization. Somehow I feel some Ladies try to get my attention for no reason and try to talk to me or get in my way[while walking in corridors] in office. During office parties they come and meet the other person with whom I am in deep conversation and I feel they are intruding my personal space when I am clearly not the one who is trying to build a conversation with them.

Also another married Lady who was working in another department[CIVIL Dept] and seated very far was lurking[coming to Water cooler when i am drinking water, coming to printer when I am taking my prints] near our IT department for some time which I observed and tried to ignore. But later to my surprise she got her seat transferred right opposite to my CABIN and I am now forced to look at her most of the day. She is from Indore and does not look like having high morals[my observation though and I could be wrong also , so clearly I am not stereotyping my office ladies here.]. This is the trait[moral values] which I value most in a person and hence it does not bring out my respect for her. So every time I walk in and walk out of my CABIN I consciously keep my eyes gazing the floor and behave as though I have not noticed that lady in front of my cabin.

I am unable to let go of my personal space which I have reserved for my WIFE and make intelligent conversations with my office Ladies. Somehow I try consciously to avoid all the Ladies in our Office, and HR ladies/girls are the first set which I try to avoid and I feel I am not doing it in the right way and fear later it could affect my career if it gets noticed by others. If you slice and dice my situation in any way, I feel I am getting caught between being morally obliged to my family and the liberal attitude needed in our office environment.

Also recently I traveled to USA with two of my Lady colleagues[HR and Finance ladies] and stayed in the same Hotel with them. In fact we traveled in the same flight with seats next to each other. when I was in USA for 1 week , I met few Indian employees there and my eyes caught the attention of one Indian girl who was giving me more attention[totally different kind of smile, As an adult I think I can make out a genuine smile from attention seeking smile] than others in the room. I was giving a big lecture and tried my level best to avoid eye contact with that Indian girl. Is it my imagination or is it for real ? somehow I am not able to make real sense of such behaviors which I am seeing in 10% of the Ladies whom I meet on daily basis.

I know what I am facing is nothing compared to the workplace harassment real good Ladies face in the working environment in INDIA. But I still feel I have to put up with some weird Ladies in my office for no reason of mine.

Please let me know how I should continue to respect all the Ladies even though they are quirky, weird etc .

Last edited: May 3, 2014

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When ladies face this problem, they emphasize their married status to the big bad wolves among colleagues. They might invest in a bigger mangalsutra, and a darker red sindoor, and go for two-chutki's of sindoor (pinchful's) instead of one, and look really pale and listless on Karva Chauth day as the labor through the work day. That is to say, they leave no stone unturned to announce their married status.

Our culture and society do put males at a disadvantage when it comes to displaying married status. How about displaying lots of photos of your family all over your office cabin? And ever so often, gazing at them deeply for long.

What was that about ladies from Indore? It's a nice city.

10 people like this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Above suggestion is good...Put family photos in ur cabin...and few drawings made by ur kids...That way u will convey the impression that u are a family man...Also whenever u are in a conversation with any of ur colleagues male/ female keep talking about your wife and praising her...Again and again u can mention how understanding she is and how sensible she is compared to other women these days...Atleast some ladies may get discouraged after hearing all this and will leave u alone.

6 people like this.
  4. HeartHealer

HeartHealer Guest

Hi dhruva19,

Okay, so you're into a teaching profession, if I'm not wrong. Great ! I guess, this one is the most noble profession of all, primarily because its a profession with huge respect.

What you have talked about in your post is work dynamics. The main reason for this is that you're young and holds an important position in your office. Definitely, ladies around you would intentionally try to come close to you to gain something in their career. This is no rocket science. You and me, both know it, that these ladies are trying to come closer to you because they know, you can help them alot in their career.

But sir, you need to understand, office is a work place and you're a married man. These two things are enough for you to put limitations and draw a boundary around yourself. Being married, doesn't give you the liberty to get too close with someone of opposite sex. And, being in an professional environment, limits you to behave thorough professionally.

Let the ladies behave as they want to be. It's your working place, its your career, and I'm sure you wouldn't like to hamper it in anyway by turning out rude to them or creating a scene in your office. You never know, who might prove helpful to you at what time. So, lets preserve the healthy relationships for our own good.

Now, what you can do is, set a boundary for yourself. Since you're the HOD of the department, there's definitely a decency and decorum you have to maintain. Things depend on how you project yourself.
    Being the HOD, if you're too cool and smiling to other staff members, then this sweet nature might create problems for you. Maintain a somewhat serious attitude...a confined one. This will help in a way that these ladies will feel a sense of hesitation when trying to approach you.

Second, as generic suggested above, keep photos of your wife and kids in your personal cabin/cubical. Let others know how much you love your family. Give them clear, but indirect indication that their efforts are going in vain.

Third, meet them in public. Avoid having any personal meetings in cabin or cubical. Maintain some distance but don't loose your politeness to safeguard your professional relationships.

Kindly, do your own work. Engross yourself in lectures and/or other stuffs. Project as if you're hyper busy. These ladies in question, will think twice or thrice before approaching you for something stupid or a casual conversation. No need to be extra sweet.

Also, concentrate on your work and do not let your brain wander or think too much about who's behaving and how.
    You have perhaps made too close observations. It seems to me that you're constantly thinking about these signs and trying to observe them too closely.

In a later stage, when your wife is here. you can introduce her to these ladies to put a full stop to everything at once.

Don't worry. Things will be fine in no time. It's all in your hands and depends on your understanding.

6 people like this.
  5. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

It is better to get your seat changed or try for a transfer to blore and stay with your family if your job is a transferrable one.

6. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

its good to know you are a loyal guy.... Give the ladies a stern look and IGnore.. keep your self respect and dignity the way you are maintaing now. When woman act weird to you.. just walk away with the phone as if u had to make a call to ur wife /kid

1 person likes this.
  7. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hearthealer gave you very good suggestions and i agree with his explanations of the situation. In your position it is important to make a reputable, serious-minded impression, so be polite but dont overdo and think you owe them something. they most probably sneak arround you 1. coz they hope you can be helpfull with their carerr and 2. coz some women simply like powerfull men. Second one are the ones you should be really carefull with and stay away. Show selfconfident and make it a point to draw your borderlines, you are in the position to do so.

1 person likes this.
  8. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Be serious in your work place and do not act friendly with especially ladies. That should do some help in keeping ladies in their limits.

Praising wife and talking of kids often will also put them off.

Next time any lady bumps into you repeatedly, aak her in serious tone "well, you seem to be bumping into me too often. Is there anything you wanna say?"

2 people like this.
  9. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

this type of activities do happen in many IT companys ..could be to get a promotion or better appraisal .. some ppl get into such traps and some ppl make use of it nicely .. so you need to more strict and can command over their action if its not pleasing u any time.. since ur a lead so easily canhandle it and also dont give so much attention to it ..do u r work and show professional ethics ..they after some time will leave since not gaining any

10. honeycomb

honeycomb New IL'ite

Maybe I am the odd one out here, I didn't think any of the mentioned incidents by itself can be termed as inappropriate. There could be innocent explanation for it. It is possible some of the ladies wanting to be friendly but the same could be said about your male colleagues, I am sure.

All I am saying is there could be an innocent explanation for all, unless someone crosses the line, it is better to give them the benefit of doubt. In a work environment head of dept or not, it is better to be friendly & professional to people who work with us. It is good to be cautious about hidden motives of both male and female colleagues but better not to over analyse and spoil our own peace of mind.

4 people like this.