1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hooked onto TV - is this normal ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by persecutedDIL, Apr 24, 2014.

1. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Those who have been reading my posts already know my marital situation to an extent. I have been getting no support or love or regard from my DH since quite sometime now. I speak as little as possible with my in-laws as I find them to be a whining crying lot who will never appreciate what they have in life and make a mountain out of mole-hill for things that they don't have (read: things that they don't deserve either). Well, I stay alone often and I have no emotional support from anyone. With several years into marriage and an extremely unhappy and unfulfilling marital life due to constant interference of in-laws that too over phone and consequent misbehaviour of hubby, and no child, I now don't even feel like talking to others, be it friends, family members(my side) because all of them have their own lives - their own husbands - happily married or not, own kids, staying together whether happily or otherwise.

Since I am a strong person, I doubt I would slip into clinical depression despite a very unhappy marital life. I always liked watching TV though I was never one to watch it for hours on end. Of late, I have noticed that I feel very happy watching TV and it seems that I have become emotionally dependent on characters on TV shows and soaps. I feel very sad when someone is shown to be dying and things like that. This has not affected my life in anyway except that I find myself emotionally involved and happy while watching those TV shows and soaps.

What has happened to me ? What would be the end of this behaviour ? Will I become socially dead one day if I continue like this ? Is this happiness some manifestation of 'feeling of relaxation' or is it a projection of my marital unhappiness onto TV ? Or is it a sign of emotional weakness ? Or is it driven by mere survival instinct ?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

PDIL, I for one probably belong to minority that's going to say that there is nothing wrong in watching mindless television if that's what you enjoy doing. As long as you know that's reel and do not being applying those to your own life, it's harmless... that's IMO.

Now my concern here is not so much your watching too much TV, but more the point you're raising that you probably won't slip into depression. I think you really need to review that. Are you sure you're not using the TV as an escape route from all the unpleasantness surrounding your family life, especially since you mentioned that you did not even watch a lot of TV before. I think you family situation is what you need to be addressing first. What I learned from my interaction with a very close white friend is that clinical depression is way more common that we care to acknowledge. Please address your family and marital situation first and foremost.

2 people like this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

TV is addictive and even those people who have no/less marital/life problems are hooked on to it. If it helps to take your mind off the unpleasant thoughts that would definitely come if you are sitting idle, then why not? When I was on bed-rest during pregnancy and terrified that something will happen to my baby, TV was the only thing that kept me from becoming insane.

4. persecutedDIL

I still don't watch a lot of TV now, just two-three hours everyday. It could be a lot for some, though. Well, there is nothing really to address as my hubby wants divorce and I am against it. Read my previous post:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...248605-sick-of-husbands-constant-refrain.html

Yes, that is the point I am admitting. TV is an escape-hatch for me. My question is : how is that wrong? What is the short-term and long-term harm in it ? I feel the characters of my favourite TV soaps as special and important and their death disturbs me.
    Any psychologists out here ? Looking for your advice.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

PDIL,

I dont see anything is wrong with it. some people like to read. some spend hours on some hobby. and for some its tv. its a good stress buster where you dont have to solve anyone's problem.

At one time I used to watch quite a bit of TV, pre-marriage. I followed those tv soaps everyday as I had no-one else to worry about . Then after marriage, it became little bit less, as we had to compromise what was watched, Now post kids I hardly watch any, even though we now have 4 tvs in the house. maybe I watch little bit on the weekend. I rather browse on IL forum than watch tv. Some of my colleagues who are 20something discuss the latest tv shows that I have never even heard of and I feel like I am living in a vaccum. So for you too, it might be short term, when the dynamics in your daily life changes.

6. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Your In-Laws are living not with you, right ? It seems they are in another city. How far from yours ?

7. persecutedDIL

Yes, they don't live with me and stay 7 hours away (by train). But, what is your point ?

They hardly come to stay with me/us and for this they keep blaming me to my husband all the time. So, even though, most of you would think that I should have no problems because they don't stay with me, the issue is that every now and then my DH is made to feel as to why they can't stay with us or visit us often. My hubby is all ears! In all this blame-game and putting me down tactic, everyone forgets that even 'I' hardly get to stay with my hubby with whom I was supposed to stay forever.

Maya, the issue is not at all with the time spent on watching TV or with watching TV per se but rather with feeling so deeply for the TV characters and identifying with them at such a personal level. I feel so happy when my characters are happy and achieve their goals and feel disturbed if my characters die.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

PDIL, any reason why you're refusing to divorce?

You seem miserable in the relationship and you said he has also asked several times. What is making you stick to the marriage?

9. persecutedDIL

Honestly, I don't believe in the concept of divorce based on incompatibility between partners who were betrothed because they were in love, unless there are issues of fraud, infidelity, gross physical abuse or gross financial abuse of one partner by the other. There is no issue of fraud or infidelity. My hubby doesn't abuse me financially but allows his family members to abuse him financially.

I love him and have shared very special moments with him. It is a weird thought to imagine my life without him as I have known him for years. I also know that divorce also makes life miserable. There are weeks when we don't talk about his parents (I anyways never ask) and I find both of us happy. Then suddenly, the talk of his parents and their unfulfilled expectations crop up and all hell breaks loose.

I am miserable because my husband doesn't know to draw the limit between marital and other relationships. He and his father are inseparable. I could have managed if it were his mother. I can't share my secrets with him as he will share it with his father.

So, the hope, that one day my hubby will realise that everyone is leading their own happy married life selfishly except us who are in such an unpleasant situation, makes me stick to the marriage. Would he not come to the conclusion one day that everyone has a kid, everyone has their own family unit except us who are odd ones out ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Dear PDIL,I am happily married and I watch 2-4 hours or less of TV every week(because of kids). I follow couple of serials and I get emotionally involved with the characters, I feel happy/sad for the characters in both serials and movies. I do get emotional when I see movies(serious ones and not stupid ones) and I can see my husband would watch the same movie totally detached to it. I think it is just a personality. It does not affect me or my life in any way.I will forget about it in few hours and go back to my work. Hope this helps.