1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too many guest at home this whole month.I am so fed up.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Iamagoodgirl, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

There are just too many guest at our home this whole month(10-12 all from in law side).I was eagerly waiting for their departure, which is around this week end,but then SIL announced she is coming to live with us with her kid for 15 day! since this weekend.

I am so fed up.I am not really used to being around so many people in house.I am a person who value my space,privacy and routine a lot.So this has been very difficult for me to deal with.At my marital home i have obsolete no control over who should visit us for what duration.It wasnt a case before marriage.At my parents home people rarely come to live with us for long duration.Even when they come for a visit of few hours they informed us way ahead so we made sure to keep our time table free for them.

Here its just not possible to make rules for myself forget i making rules for whole home.I am trying to have some strict routine for myself for my daily work out and dieting but it just inst possible because of lot of people in house thus added house hold chores.

Now i am worried about my sil visiting us.She is very much foody and force feeds other.I am making plans to keep my diet intact during her visit though i am not sure if its going to be possible.Every time she comes she takes control of kitchen and only thing to eat is dosa,pizza,cakes,maggie,chinese,punjabi which is disaster for my weight reduction plan.

This time i am planning to make a time table and cook separately for myself.I dont care if it looks bad or not if they like it or not.I simply dont care!
    All this 4-5 month i have been adjusting according to their time table and taste.I just dont want to do that any more.

2. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

:iagree care about everyone including urself.:clap

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm! Can imagine!

Yes dear, do stick to your diet. As long as you smile and insist that you aren't hungry when she offers food that doesn't go with your diet, she would back off.
    - "No thanks. I'm not hungry."
    - "Honestly. I'll eat a bit later. You carry on."
    - "You can't hold me off if I wanted it. There won't be any left for you. ha ha ha"
    - Finally, "Hey! the more you insist, the more I'll have to refuse. Why take it to that? You enjoy, dear! You are the one on a holiday. "

As for chores, delegate, delegate, delegate. Request politely if your SIL might help chop veg so you can all watch that movie quicker or if she doesn't mind, could she take clothes out to dry please? It would be really helpful. Thanks! And so on and so forth.

Chill, dear. Aim at enjoying the company of the visitors.

2 people like this.
  4. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

you need to stick to ur diet, even though u hav guests at home. Politely but firmly deny any force feeding and make her understand that you r concerned about your health than taste. Prepare what they would like to eat and u eat what you would like to. This was what I followed last year when I had 10 guests at home (my MIL's sisters and their families) coz I believe 'Athithi devo bhava'. Guests are god.

5. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

Tell her tht ur fasting for god for a few days . so that she wont disturb u

6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

I can understand your situation.

Since I have always lived in a foreign country with my family, away from the rest of the extended family members, I too get very uneasy at the mention of someone coming home or worse of visiting other people's home overnight.

Since you live in a joint family, it is not very easy to avoid this, since your relatives will always come on the pretext of visiting your in laws, and your SILs, well it is their house as well, so don't develop a negative attitude towards them visiting.

And why would it look bad if you cook separately? You have all the right in this world to eat whatever you desire, in your house.
    Don't we cook baby food separately for babies in the house? Does it look bad?
    Or do we just stuff their mouths with regular food, not thinking about their health.

Remove such thoughts from your mind, otherwise it will reflect in your attitude, and it might end up looking bad, when it is not supposed to.

Plan your meals ahead, and ask the rest if they would like to have it too, and cook their share too if they want.
    When they offer you something you don't want, very politely decline it, saying you do not consume such food.
    Don't even think about how they will feel, only you have the right to decide what goes down your throat, not anyone else, unless there is some festival, ritual or a special day.

If you are very uncomfortable with people around, spend a few hours with them, and then politely retire to your room, saying you sleep early or that you want mother and daughters to spend some good time like old times together.

To make things easier for yourself, you can think of all the fun you all will have together, when your SIL comes, maybe that will ease you out a little.

7. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

How i wish i was in your situation.. Force feeding of dosa,pizza,cakes, maggie, chinese, punjabi...

Wow, except for that maggie.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheUnhappyWife

TheUnhappyWife Silver IL'ite

Does your SIL prepare all this food ?
    If yes, Wow! If no, then it's a matter of worry.

Why don't you run to your Mom's place because I agree, relatives need to space out their travel plans if the host has constraints ?

9. Rukumaniqa

Rukumaniqa Senior IL'ite

Stressed??

Then are they really guests. Show faces and sometime that may help. May just give some nice lecture on Dieting to SIL, so that she will be bored to dead and feel guilty to eat. Sometime, simple but persistent kicks may yield magics.

Cheers

10. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

Tell that your nutritionist has told you to strictly adhere to this diet plan other your health might be at risk. Everyone shuts up when we tell them about doctor's prescription. And yes delegation is the key to peace of mind.