1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How often do newly married couples with no past have sex?

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by Sharanya, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sharanya

Sharanya Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I got married almost a year back, and due to many factors, now I am on the point of divorce.

It was an arranged marriage, I was 26, husband was 30. We had spoken a few times on the phone & Skype, neither of us had any relationships prior to marriage.He lived and worked in Singapore, where his parents had bought him a condo(his dad paid the down payment, he paid the emi's).

After marriage he would only have sex during the weekends, even during the very early months. He would come back pretty early from office, around 6.45 to 7.30 but still prefer to go to sleep on the couch watching tv, he claimed this is what he'd done in his bachelor days. He would watch MTV, BIg Boss etc, ask me to watch tv with him, but there wasn't too much sex at all.

His parents came to stay with us during our first three weeks in Singapore to settle me in, in those days, although we had a bedroom with complete privacy, he'd practically never have sex while his parents were there.

He claimed that all his friends also had sex during the weekends, but his friends were consultants who travelled during the weekdays plus they had been married some 4 years.

Is this much lack of sexual desire normal?

1 person likes this.

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

You are on the verge of divorce and still asking about "number of times" you had sex raises kind of red-flags...

On working days, may be he was tired and he could only find the time & energy for sex during weekends... the question is not how many times you had sex, its how you felt after each session.. did you felt fulfilled or short changed?

3. Dadofk

Dadofk New IL'ite

Sharanya, Your husband's lack of sex with you is a worry and his refusal to sleep with you is abnormal. Either he has medical problems (impotent) or he is not interested in you.

If it's the former and he is not interested in taking any medical cure, divorce him since he has cheated you.

If he is merely not interested in you, pl be patient and don't consider divorce immediately. Sometimes, love develops gradually in arranged marriage and eventually he will find you attractive and start having sex with you. But, in any case, you and he must sleep together, he has to hug you and have oral sex at least, so you can find out if he is medically fit.

Sleeping together is a must -- if that does not happen, please consider divorce.

4. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

Sharanaya, looks like your husband has a schizoid personality. THINGS WILL NEVER IMPROVE. Your libidos will never match. Escape before you have kids because after that things will be even less frequent, like once in 2 months, that too only if you take the initiative. Even if you take an initiative, he may avoid you or pretend to be asleep or just not get to the act of an intercourse.
    Life changes dramatically for women after 30s , esp 35 when their libidos increase and sexual life becomes very frustrating with a husband with a low libido

5. HeartHealer

HeartHealer Guest

Hi Sharnaya,

Let's put divorce towards the end. Ending marriage can be considered anytime, before you have kids.
    Let's try to save the marriage. If things can sort out, what's the point in breaking up?

I am pretty sure, you must have had a detailed discussion on this with your husband. Would appreciate, if you could give us an account of what discussion you had with him.
    If, by any chance, you never had a very detailed and calculated discussion with him, you can do one now.
    Try to sit with him on someday when he is free and you think you guys can have a chat. Tell him before, there's something troubling you and you would like to have a discussion with him on this, so that he is well prepared to honestly reply you.

Talk to your husband and explain him everything as to what you feel. Make him understand, there's nobody in your life, other than him and how intensely and badly you want him. Try to bring to his knowledge, how important it is for you to establish a strong, emotional and very intense link with him, just like the one that should exist between a husband and a wife. And to establish this emotional bond, its very important for souls and bodies to connect. You can very well share your deepest secrets, your remorse problems with a best friend too. But, if that's what would have been, why is there ever a need to have a person like a husband and a relation like marriage at all?
    Tell him that you trust him and love him and care for him with the deepest of feelings but there are things that you demand too, that you need too and it's time he should understand it. There are things, other than money and comforts of life, that a wife or a woman needs and that she can only expect from her husband.

So, if he is feeling shy or facing any difficulties in having himself involved in a good sex, in a beautiful and intimate relationship, he can count on you and tell you about everything. Both of you can handle it together because that's the beauty of a relationship.

I am sure he will understand your word. If there's anything related to psychology, please consult a counselor. If there's anything related to medical, consult a doctor.

6 people like this.
  6. DinkyManoj

DinkyManoj Silver IL'ite

Dear sharanya,
    i too agree with heart healer first talk to him.... Could be that he was in love with someone else before you and things didn't workout and was then forced to Marry you...
    Its just my wild guess cause one of my relatives faced the same problem so got divorced married again and has a beautiful kid....
    so do talk to your DH about his past life , lack of interest in sex and if he does not respond properly then just be bold and take a decision that you feel is right. God will be on your side and don't loose faith in god!

1 person likes this.
  7. Sharanya

Sharanya Senior IL'ite

We have slept together, if you mean whether we've had sex, then yes we've done that & if you mean whether we've slept in the same bed, we've done that as well.

I was just asking about the frequency- even if everything is going fine, he comes back home from work at 6.45-7, we have an entire three bedroom condo to ourselves, he'd want to have dinner & then watch tv, or go out & catch a movie etc, but very seldom have sex during the weekdays, sometimes even during the weekends, he'd want to have sex just once.

I've spoken to my mom, I'm very frank with her, she says that in her experience, newlyweds did it everyday for some months or the first year, my maternal aunt said the same thing.

8. Sharanya

Sharanya Senior IL'ite

Actually, husband isn't even particularly interested in having kids, ever. This wasn't something he'd mentioned before marriage. I always wanted kids, right from the time I was married & even from my childhood. He says that he doesn't even want kids because the sufferings he's been through(his career didn't go as per plan) he doesn't want his child to go through. Apparently he's had long discussions with his parents about this, because they want a grandchild. Also, he'd told them to search for a girl who doesn't want kids either, but he said that he might eventually want children due to social pressure because I want etc.

Once when I was surfing an article on mompreneurs (mothers who are entrepreneurs), he told me whats' the point of looking at all these because I'm never going to be a mom anyway because he doesn't want to have kids.

Do you think he'll eventually even want kids? If this is the sexual frequency in the first few months, will it go further downhill? Will he even be capable of siring kids?

9. Sharanya

Sharanya Senior IL'ite

Hi Dinky Manoj,

To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't have any past relationships(neither do I btw)

He's obsessed with a few things in life-& his life & career isn't going as per his plans, could he be stressed & depressed due to this?

Right after marriage my husband told me that it was very essential I find some proper job in Singapore as he wants to do a full time MBA & would try for INSEAD Singapore or American B Schools & be off to USA for two years & he wanted to come back to Singapore & job hunt on my Dependent Pass. I was shocked to hear this, as before marriage, husband & family had given us the impression that they're very against long distance relationships & also cancelled a girl's alliance who wanted a long distance relationship for just a year for job reasons.

He tried for INSEAD for the September 2014 batch & was rejected, he's now reapplying to INSEAD for the January 2015 batch & wants to apply to other US B Schools as well.

My husband is very particular about his appearance, he has a lot of products like different face & body washes, perfumes etc (one of his friends' wives used to tease him that he has more products than he does), he's got a hair weaving done in Singapore as he was balding, he checks out his hair in the mirror all the time. I've sometimes felt by some of his mannerisms & his smile that its a bit unmanly but then he's very narrow shouldered & lanky panky so I can't be sure.

He is also facing career stagnation & no pay rise for two years in Singapore-his friends in Singapore make 2.5 times what he does(they also work much harder btw & are better qualified, they're Engineers & MBA's from top institutions), he's obsessed with living in Singapore, his application for PR has been rejected thrice-could his lack of interest in sex & writing MBA applications etc be due to stress & peer pressure or due to gay/bi/asexual tendencies?

Btw, I'm considered very beautiful by most people, my husband also said that he married me because he considers me so pretty .

Once, when we'd barely been married five months & had an altercation regarding his MBA applications, he told me its best I go & stay in my hometown for a month so that he could apply in peace, even otherwise when we are on good terms, he'd perhaps go out & eat etc & come back & watch TV, but seldom have sex.

10. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

His MBA aspiration is driving towards divorce or this issue? I believe both are interconnected for his behavior. Have a open talk with and try marriage counselling.