1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this common?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Akanksha1982, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

My DH pushes me in case of negotiations whether it is with a vendor, customer service or at booths if the other side is a male. If there is a female, he does the negotiations. He tells me that people get better service and deals with the opposite sex and also it is an opportunity for me to learn in case he is not around (he travels a lot as well). However, i am totally uncomfortable with negotiations and dealings. He does it very good. He can make up stories, make decisions on the fly, and can negotiate good deals. I on the other hand, am not too articulate and not able to lie or tell stories or take decisions on my own. I feel inferior even on this forum when i read responses of other ladies and appreciate how well they are able to convey their points and views. Can you please provide some suggestions?

1 person likes this.

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Your husband is an MBA(???). There is a course - Bargaining and Negotiations which many students pursue. Perhaps, your husbands skills are coming from there. Ask him to teach you. He already knows a lot - finding the weakness of the other party and milking it to your benefit. Opposite sex yielding better service is one such tactic.

3 people like this.
  3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Its good that your hubby wants you to be able to manage things independently and provides you opportunities for that. You can observe him when he bargains and try to learn and develop those skills.

4. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Trying to be modest Akanksha?? I have read some of your sensible replies in this forum. I don't know why you are feeling inferior when you are capable of understanding someone's problem and give solution to them.

Anyway, coming to your question, its quite normal. Even I am bit hesitant to buy from female sellers. But, I can easily negotiate with male sellers. May be your husband is right. As he says, it may be easy for you when he is not around.

P.S. Even I have felt inferior many a times in this forum reading others coherent and sensible replies. Anyway, learning a lot from you girls :)

2 people like this.
  5. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Akanksha,
    Your post is just the opposite of my post. See it in the recent posts if you want. My DH doesn't allow me to talk to my maid servant even and here your DH is encouraging you to go and communicate. Nice.
    And, certainly, even I feel inferior in this forum as well as at my workplace when my friends take decisions immediately where as I have to call to my DH for permission when we have to go for lunch.

6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Yeah he is MBA.

7. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This forum is one place where we can be ourselves and not required to take permission from DH or ILs to share our thoughts. Rest assured, we all are different and talented in various things and its not necessary to feel inferior if our writing style and eloquence differs. So ladies, enjoy your time here and use it well rather than feeling bad.:cheers

5 people like this.
  8. jeera2013

jeera2013 Silver IL'ite

Dear Akanksha,
    Why are you feeling inferior if you can communicate your concern so well in your original post? Language is for communication. The listener/reader should understand what you are trying to say. If your concern is expanding the vocabulary, you can try as there are various means of improving it.

If you stop feeling inferior, I think you will gain confidence in interacting with people. If there is a need for you to interact with the groups you have mentioned, you do it yourself, be it same gender or opposite gender. Dont depend on him. You can ask for guidance from him. You can definitely do it.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,

I see that you live in USA. Just curious about what kind of negotiations you encounter in day to day life? I can think of big ticket items like car, house etc.....just wondering...

2 people like this.
  10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Also wondering where the "skill" of lying would be necessary here...

2 people like this.