1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this marriage worth saving?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by snm1984, Sep 1, 2013.

1. snm1984

snm1984 Platinum IL'ite

Editor's Note: Dear IL'ites, snm1984 has shared a very sensitive, emotional and thought provoking story with us. Please have a look and tell us what you would have done in such a situation. snm1984, thank you for trusting us and sharing such a personal story with us. This has been selected as best of forums and featured here. Congratulations!

Hi everyone,

Its been a long time since I posted here.I hope you all still remember me.I am facing a serious issue right now & friends I need your guidance and support.Feeling really frustrated to the point of ending this marriage.
    To people who don't know me,I have been TTC for one and a half years.Pls go through my previous thread-

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/married-life/211603-how-cope-spouse-who-blames.html

Well my H's behaviour didn't change at all.I needed change and support,so I went on a 1.5 month trip to India few months back.Due to serious Mil issues(we are not on talking terms),I told him that I can go visit his mom for a day but can't stay there without him.He was ok with it and I went ahead.Meanwhile he told me that he had kept my trip a secret from his mom and asked me to do the same.Its been 2 yrs since he saw his mom as well so he informed me that she will be coming to US around Sep-Oct.I had a great time in India & after I came back he told me how much he missed me and all that.Until last week our relationship was basically good,I mean it went smoothly if we chose to ignore/avoid sensitive topics.Topics about when I am going to get pregnant,his mom and about my parents(how they didn't meet his expectations (dowry) during marriage).

Coming to the incident that happened last week,it just started with me asking him to be more open and free with me for a minor issue.Then he just replied that being open and frank always lead to arguments.And then told me if we have a kid I can't avoid visiting his mom like I did this time,I would have to spend equal time for his mom and my parents.Stupid me answered that ofcourse I can't avoid the trip to his mom's house since she would also like to see her grandchild but the no of days I spend there will depend on the way she will treat me.From there he just started on how we have to live in X town where his mom lives when we move to India.This was news to me because all he told was he can't live separate from his mother but never told me we would be shifting to X town.Prior to marriage we both lived and worked in Y city and thats were my parents live.X is a very small town,we both can't find work there we would have to travel atleast 1 hr to another nearby city to go to work.Altogether it would take around 4 hrs to and fro from work everyday,plus I am not really looking forward to stay in his mom's house.I was in shock and very angry that he made such important decisions with his mom without considering me so I told him abruptly that if this is the case then I will have to think about our relationship(i know I could have handled it better.)He got angry and I stood up & proceeded to go to avoid arguments,he pulled my hands roughly and told"You are so arrogant,you are leaving when I am talking.You better sit down or I will break your bones."This was the first time he used such degrading language and I lost my temper,he started scolding my parents and I did the same.He held my neck(to stop me from talking it seems) and pushed me down the bed and beat me.This is the second time this is happening,first time(a year back) he really regretted it, so I just let go.I just shouted and told him that our relationship was over and I am talking to my parents about this.He coolly replied that I can do that,he's not going to tremble and beg.He then proceeded to tell hurtful things like "why can't my dad sponser for my medical treatments(its nothing expensive,its just 30-40$ copay for gyn visit every 2-3 months),how he only has to do everything","if you want go back to india for 6 months,but ask your dad to sponser the tickets,I can't do like last time","I take my health issue very lightly,I won't bother even if we have a child for 5 yrs(its not true,I do yoga everyday,follow strict diet & lost 30 pounds-weight I gained due to PCOS,getting my periods on time for the past 2 months,something which did not happen in 2 yrs)...and indirectly he conveyed that he's suspicious that I hid the fact that I have PCOS before marriage(which is not true).

I informed my parents about everything(no secrets) now because I have lost interest to make this marriage work.They are really scared for me.In this situation his mom is going to come for US trip at the end of this month,so things are going to get worse.I told him I am going to India because I am really upset and my dad will arrange for tickets.He looked sad and told me he will discuss about this later.A day later he told me its not such a good idea and started blaming me that I made this decision myself without consulting him.I just told him I needed to go,I am depressed.He finally said"Look its your call,don't blame me later.If you go there your parents will support you and mom will support me and this is going to end badly."The worst part is he's not even feeling guilty about it.I told him I was wrong and will never talk bad about his mom again,will he promise not to raise his hands against me in future?For that question he put another question to me whether my decision will change if he promised?When I told I don't know,he said don't bother.We are not on talking terms for a week,I just ask him to have his food other than that no conversations.My parents are fully supportive and though they want me to stay here to give a last try,they told that its entirely up to me.They still have the ray of hope that if baby comes he will be better,though I have lost that hope.So currently I have decided to stay here just for me and for them that tomorrow I shouldn't regret that I didn't try harder.This is the final straw.

Here are some facts you guys should now-

1)The first year of our marriage was blissful inspite of mil problems,it was like we understood each other perfectly well.Thinking back now had I been in touch with his mom(inspite of her horrible,rotten mouth that drove me into depression)when he was good to me,maybe I would not be blamed this badly.I made very few attempts,wish I had let go of the ego that time.

2)The shift in his behaviour towards me started when we found out that I had low progesterone lvls and hormonal imbalance.Thats when his mom started constantly pestering him,putting negative thoughts into his head.That continues to this day.

3)He does show care for me in his own way.Simple things but very thoughtful-like remembering and showing me places I wanted to see without even me asking for it,even when we get into nasty arguments he can't remain mum for long.He's the first to make up and cheer me up(he did that this time too,not in a "iam sorry" kind of way but "don't make this big issue take it lightly" sort of way.Always asks if I have eaten.He went for buying groceries after we fought and he didn't forget to buy lettuce and apples.(he doesn't eat that)

4)For a person who is really brilliant in academics and at work,he's pretty dumb at understanding human emotions.I don't think he even realises I am very serious about separating and Iam actually prepared for it.He doesn't understand to the lvl I am affected because of his hurtful remarks.I have tried making him understand,but its useless.This guy drove me into depression,I can't sleep well for the past few months and I am constantly under stress.

5)"You spoilt my life.","I am unlucky.Just look at X couple,they got married after us and they will have baby even before you do..","No fault from my side,its all your fault..","when you have fault,you have to compromise and feel guilty.you tried for 1.5 yrs why not ask my mother and follow what she says?","no one in my family is talking with me nowadays its all because of you"-these are some of the random crude comments he has made the last few months.

6)He has made remarks directly/indirectly that he's disappointed in what my dad did for us.He's very affected by the fact that all my jewels are kept in my name and in my control rather than him or his mom.I made it very clear to him before marriage that we won't give dowry,but everything changed after he tied the knot.My dad did put FD of 1 lakh as a joint account in both our names going against my wishes and saying its our custom,but still H is not satisfied.

Based on his arguments how much good he is with me depends on these factors-"how I am with his mom","how much I listen to him" and to some extent "what my parents gave him".I am sick of his narrow minded attitude and I am angry at myself for marrying this guy.Now that he's gotten physical,I can't take this crap anymore.The latest was just a trigger incident,I have been frustrated for months.Is this marriage worth saving?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014

2. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

SNM , sorry and hugs :(
    You seem to be stuck in a really vicious cycle. Looks like the only way to save the marraige is to have a baby, and to have a baby with situation you are in is only going to work out if you have a understanding/supportive guy.

1 person likes this.
  3. snm1984

snm1984 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Endlesshope. The thing is if me having baby will only save this marriage,I don't want it to work at all.He better change his attitude else he will end up childless and wifeless..Sorry I am really fed up.

After his mom leaves,and I just pray to God to give me the patience to deal with her-I am going to give him time to change his attitude.His visa is due to expire in March 2014,so mostly we will go to India.Till then I am just planning to bear with him.I am actually scared now to spend my future with this guy who lacks basic sensitivity.

4. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Hugs to u dear, I know it must be very hard for u! :(

All he wants is a baby but is he ready to be a good husband and a good father? When he is so much issues with u, later with a baby things will be more complicated and his insensitive attitude will make things worse for u and ur baby, if u have any.

Unless the issues are resolved between u two, having a baby will do good to ur marriage but the problems will make life bad for u. U need to take the call and decide if u want spend rest of ur life with him and seeing his ways, whether he will be a responsible husband and father in future.

5. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

No NO No.............

This is the worst condition to bring a baby into the picture.......

I mean c'mon if he is not understanding your stresses now will he when you have to additionally take care of the baby........

Wont the baby become another tool like lack of dowry, not living with his mother and other points that he brings out right now.....

What if after the baby is born he says ''oh you donyt know how to handle a baby, see that couple the wife does as husband says.....''

or

''wht cant you just follow what my mother tells you''

or

''the child is ill behaved because of you and so my relatives dont talk to me........''

see this status quo has to improve significantly before any baby talk can take place........

Baby is not a superpower laden diety who will set everything right........
    It is a vulnerable being who needs to be cuddled in a bubble of love and care and not hate or voilence...............

Wellrest is your call.......

Best of luck......

God Bless

11 people like this.
  6. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Tell him you don't want to have a baby until you are sure this relationship will last. Even if you have a problem concieving, slowly shift the blame towards him.

I think you must give this guy a serious dose now. Go to India and avoid all contact for 2weeks. Then pick up his call one day and say

"Your mums priority is your dad. She will never leave him for you. Your sister's priority is her husband, say one ugly word to him and see what your sister does. They all talk crap and treat me without respect and they make you keep quiet. We are separating now. When we divorce and years pass, everyone will be busy with their partners. It'll be your loss entirely. Even if you get married to someone else, if not children, they will find other faults to taunt and blame. For their loose tounge, you are losing your life! Your are poking your own eyes for their happiness "

Stop all contact for 2weeks again. See if this works.

Guys need time to process information.

13 people like this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you. Please don't bring a baby into this mess. It will only make things a million times worse. Tell him clearly that you would like to live happily with him. To this end you want him to go to a marriage counsellor with you and give it a full shot in making a harmonious home. It is not about his parents or yours. It is just about you and him and the beautiful family you could make together if only you both could resolve your issues. Stay strong girl. If he refuses, well, I don't see him being a good husband or a father

2 people like this.
  8. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

If he has been physically violent with you, I suggest you re-think whether you want to have a child with him. Do you want this child to see an unhealthy marriage?

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.

People don't realize that if they don't treat their spouse well, someone else well.

How do you view yourself? Do you view yourself as Kind, Beautiful, and Intelligent (the way the Creator of the Universe)? Or do you think that because you were born female in Indian culture, you deserve to be trashed.

I notice when I think sad, negative, angry emotions, I attract people who treat me like dirt. We are all human, and our mind is difficult to tame, it takes a lifetime (or sometimes several) of practice.

But coming back to my original point, if he is showing physical violence (it doesn't matter whether he graduated High School, or did 5 PhDs, a person must have a kind, gentle, and loving heart), I think you need to separate yourself from him.

{{{hugs}}}

2 people like this.
  9. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

hi dear,

ur statments "You spoilt my life.","I am unlucky.Just look at X couple,they got married after us and they will have baby even before you do..","No fault from my side,its all your fault..","when you have fault,you have to compromise and feel guilty.you tried for 1.5 yrs why not ask my mother and follow what she says?","no one in my family is talking with me nowadays its all because of you"-these are some of the random crude comments he has made the last few months."

is very hurting. Its very sad that you are undergoing this. If you think this marriage doesnt work, then please come out.

I really dont know your situation, had i been in this case, I would have come out.

10. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Oh one other thing, Karma works in delightful ways.

One of my co-workers has a father who was very difficult to live with. When this co-worker was a boy, he was taking piano lessons. This co-worker's mother started talking with the piano teacher.

Every time the piano teacher would come to teach, my co-worker's piano's lessons would get shorter and shorter while the conversations between the piano teacher and the co-worker's mother would get longer and longer.

Soon, the mother left the father for the piano teacher and she has been happy ever since.

We put all these statues and paintings of Gods and Goddesses, and we show our relatives that we go for puja, but do we truly appreciate what God can do for us?

I think God can do great things in all our lives, we need to keep remembering God. And when you are in a bad mood, it is easy to forget God, so it is a challenge and life-long learning process to keep ourselves encouraged and remember the God who made Earth, the planets, the solar system, the Universe, can change your life for the better.

I came on these boards to vent about something, but your post put things in perspective. I hope this helps.....

1 person likes this.