1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Work load sharing after marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweetyk, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I wanted to ask,

1. How many of you do all house hold chores, bill payments, kid hospital visits, medical payments & other customer service calls and groceries all alone with out DH help?
    2. If you share how do you plan and share the work load if you are a home maker or working women?

please share your stories here..

sweety

Similar Threads
    1. curlytweethere
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. mangaii
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. rgsrinivasan
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

If you love your hubby, you really don't count who is doing what.

When I was looking for hubby, I was (and still am) self-sufficient, so I went more for how my heart felt, and whether he is a good human being. You can say it was an arranged-turn-love marriage.

Who knows, there are times when I may do 99%, and there may be other times where he does 99%.

1 person likes this.
  3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Working in SW industry that requires 24x7 on call supporting role. At the drop of the hat, I have to go and God knows, when I will be 'myself' again. Sleepless nights, and working on weekends are common in my business line.

Kitchen/cooking & kid's responsibility (not any more :cool:) are always my domain.
    Weekly entertainment, vacation, maintaining friend's circle, dry cleaning/stocking up clothes are the things, I enjoy doing it. Writing down grocery list & home supplies were I draw the line. Filling up the pantry, fridge, cleaning supplies are his job.

Having a maid service to clean the house, weekly. I don't cook daily, and being a vegetarian rely mostly on Indian foods. Few times a month, I cook and freeze Indian food items into individual portion size. I am the picky eater, and my DH doesn't care much for food. Rarely, we go for a pizza or Chinese food.

DH maintains the house clean, he is such a restless person with infinite amount of energy. If I am busy, he wouldn't bother me and he takes care of himself. In general, he is the 'doer' and I keep myself as the organizer.

Without DH's support/work sharing, it will be very hard to work in stressful/demanding job. In a way, my DH knows me well, my work is my 'world' and he will not dare to cripple it :thumbsup.

5 people like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We both work, so we have a very structured work day. For chores, we divide them almost equally. We didn't plan it this way, it just happened by itself.

-- I cook; he does the dishes.
    -- I do the laundry; we both fold the clothes.
    -- I iron my baby's and my clothes; his go to the laundry.
    -- I pay all the bills and keep all records.
    -- We do grocery together on the weekends; I pick up the odd item after work if necessary.
    -- He takes care of our son's hospital visits, soccer class, swimming etc.
    -- I do the dusting, make the beds, put away stuff; he vacuums.
    -- Twice a month, we have a cleaning lady to do heavy duty stuff like bathrooms, refrigerator, kitchen surfaces etc.
    -- He drops our son to preschool in the mornings; I pick him up in the evenings.
    -- Once a month we have a babysitter watch our son for 4-5 hours, while we go watch a movie.

There is no rigid demarcation of responsibilities. I do his chores if he is busy and vice versa. We both take up additional responsibilities when the other is unwell or has work pressures.

7 people like this.
  5. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

well...it is important that the couple share the work. we cannot keep track of how much each person is doing but as long as not one person gets tired and boht of willingly help each other is what is important.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

both of us work, but my dh works on rotation morning and nite shift, also works on weekends.
    whenever he is at home in the evening, i will have to cook dinner for him, so he will help to to take care of the kids like feed, get them ready and put them to sleep.
    he sweeps floor, and washes the car porch if the cleaner were absent. he will help me with the dishes as well sometimes.
    for kids medical and vacines, normally i will bring them to clinic and if warded i will stay with them in hospital. dh will come and visit. and i manage alone with the discharge processes and drive them back home.
    even when i was pregnant, i managed alone with monthly check ups because i will drive to office straight after the check up.
    normally i take care of the groceries and dh pays the utility bills.

7. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Wow..so nice to read..keep up it so structured..

8. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

My feelings regarding this topic are, it doesn't matter who does what, as long as the one who usually does it, feels valued, and the one who usually doesn't, appreciates it.

2 people like this.
  9. strangegirl

strangegirl Silver IL'ite

The day today works goes like this in our family:-

He does the grocery shopping and I cook and clean the dishes.
    He takes care of the bills and other external works, but I do concentrate on our child
    He does the laundry and I do the folding part
    I clean the home and he sometimes helps with dusting (on demand), but he is the one who does the garbage works.
    We go together for doctor visits, and other needs when it comes to our child.
    Earlier we used to go to our respective offices on our own, but now a days he drops me and kid because i have developed some problems in my legs - could not drive as before.

In addition, we have a servant and a nanny (a relative who takes care of our kid) who helps us in all the other remaining works.

There is no routine as to who does what, and we do change our work depend on the other person's unavailability. Eg: My husband doesn't do any works, but sit in front of TV if there is an interesting cricket match. So, I will end up doing everything on that particular day.
    Similarly, I develop health issues every now and then, and take rest too. So, he takes care of my duties that time.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Not at all true.

I am going to wait until you have a toddler, trying to manage a fulltime time Job and still have to to do everything like in OP's case. It would be nice to see if you still maintain your statement above.

5 people like this.