1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

‘Generalisations based on gender’- what do you think about it ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by indianguy2010, Dec 7, 2012.

1. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

I do not get you, Rihana.Please explain again, what is the issue in my signature?

2. indianguy2010

Why not talk about that mystery.....

3. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

the original song goes like.." kitne bhi tu karle sitam.."

2 people like this.
  4. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

I believe that "we are created equal but different".

But if one has to list the differences (based on one's perception), it might look like one is biased.:)

And unlike you op, one did not wake up in the morning and obey the mind voices whispering, "go invite some fiery darts" ;-)

But some 'gender specific' behaviors are learnt due to peer pressure rather than due to physiological influence.

2 people like this.
  5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear IG,
    Please please do not make love into a scientific dissertion and spoil the effect.
    Cuddling is fine with men when they are newly married , see the lovey-dovey couples during the honeymoon phase.
    Maybe the novelty wears off and so does that 'cin' sorry, oxytocin hormone thing.
    But westerners cuddle a lot , do the men there have more of that stuff???
    PS -I watch a lot of movies.

3 people like this.
  6. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

A purview of the common problems which women report(in IL) explicitly/implicitly in their DHs brings out some generalisations about men(say, Indian men).

But the problem is, what have we to do about it?

7. indianguy2010

Thanks Poornima and Rihana, for correcting it. :)

8. indianguy2010

Comments to the post of "Sweetshreya".

(portions of your post are reproduced in brown, followed by my comments).

Gender based differences are really there because the goodlord did not make women and men the same

Yes Shreya. Mother Nature did not create men and women identical. The differences like the one I detailed in the first post arehardwired in each gender's individual’s brain-wiring.

There are huge differences which everyone accepts. But,there are also subtle differences that baffles each other.

No Shreya. Every one do not & will not accept it. Whenever I saysomething regarding it, there will be people like you who will agree with me.............and there will be more people who disagree with me. This thread itself is an example. No one except you have agreed with me. You can see my earlier similar threads in my profile, in your free time.

One such generalization is women cannot park properly. It does not come easily tothem they have to learn. Me and DH did one exercise when I was learning todrive. We stood at the same spot and asked each other how wide can you seewithout moving the eyes. To our surprise, the angle which he could see was muchwider to what I could see. We included other friend couple in it. What I andthat lady could see was almost equal. Same was with her husband and my DH. Butthe angle of observation between the two genders was really very different.

May beyou all should do this exercise and tell me if it is really true. I'm little curious

Your curiosity is well founded. The discrepancy is due to the differennt skills, men and women employ in learning driving. Men, use their ‘spatialskills’ (ability to imagine dimensions in a 3 D imaginary plane) in learning driving. Women use visual clues in learning driving. Men and women are just different, not better or worse. Ultimately, it is a different story, that women become better drivers, than men, with respect to rash driving and accident liability. What you have noticed about ‘difficulty in reverse parking’ is absolutely true with women. Due to the less developed ‘spatial skills’ women do find difficulty in reverse parking , at least in the initial stages of learning driving. But,later, with visual clues, they can compensate for it and do reverse parking as good as men do.

For this simple, scientific reason, learning driving from the husbands has been one of the most conflict ridden experiences for many a women in thisthread. An uninformed husband (who imagines that wife is identical to him) is likely to get angry to see how 'naive' his wife is in learning. There have been so many threads in this context.

But, there are people who continue to believe that all biological differences are not true. The people who believe that men and women are identical to each other, probably do so, because, they see the above said scientific facts as a threat to ‘equality of men and women’.

“Equality” and “being identical” are two different issues. Men and women should be treated equally in every walk of life. No sex is inferior to the other. Women should be given the same respect and status in all occupations(unfortunately this is not the case in reality, women are paid less for the same job men do, which is totally wrong). Treating the wife equal , is the bottomline secret to peace and harmony in married life.

But ‘being identical’ is different.........it is a scientific non-feasibility. Acknowledging the simple reality that men and women are different.........just different............not better or worse............makes a man/woman, a more tolerant spouse. This is the simple point I try to drive home.

Thanks for your participation, Shreya.

1 person likes this.
  9. indianguy2010

Continue to watch movies, flowerlady. It is a nice, harmless entertainment. But, it is wise to remember that sometimes, movies, present a distorted version of the reality...........just for the sake of the process of viewing sensational.

Such men, who continue to enjoy, looooooooong cuddles, as you see in movies, exist more in movies.......and less in real life. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. indianguy2010

Anita,

That exactly is my point also, we are created for being treated equally......but we (men and women) are different.........different, biologically with different brain-wirings.

And yes, some gender specific behaviours are learnt...........certainly learnt. For example, keeping the house neat and tidy is another area of conflict between husband and wife. Wives get angry with the husbands throwing wet towels here and there, which disturbs the neatness of the drawing room.

But this trait is a learnt one. ( What you say is correct). A woman sees her mother keeping the house neat........and sees her neighbour woman keeping the house tidy. From there, she too learns the behaviour. It is undeniable, that some behaviours are learnt behaviours.

It is also undeniable, that some behaviours are not learnt behaviours. They, are rather, biologically made differences. (examples, men & long cuddles and women and reverse parking, the two issues I discussed above in this thread)

1 person likes this.