1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Email to discuss fights/ issues with husband?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

General question after reading some threads:

When a hot issue is going on between husband and wife, does it help to discuss it through email?

I think mostly wives initiate email, write long emails, and guys don't respond much by email. It might help the wife in feeling a little lighter after sending email, but actual use might be minimal. And, there is a permanent record...

Thoughts? Does it help for husband-wife to discuss an ongoing issue by email?

1 person likes this.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

personally i feel for any argument its better to discuss face to face but if the other person is not willing to sit and talk you can try email. I have never mailed any argumentative or rude mail to dh :) i follow the rule never send a email when angry , keep it in drafts and reread it after ur temper cools down , many times u realise what u wrote was nonsense and delete the draft :D

9 people like this.
  3. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

I personally won't mail anything, especially if can be used against me!

It's better to peacefully talk it out at a later time without being accusatory.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Personally I think it's a good idea( but not for every issue) as we can vent what r our feelings calmly & with no temperament we can feel better yes DH won't respond much anyway sometimes they won't respnd much for normal talks also better not to initiate it ourself so their will be no carriage of emotional feelings to our room

Just to vent its ok but in long run it won't help much yes if understanding is in good level between couples what way we choose to vent it doesn't matter at the end ALL IS Well

1 person likes this.
  5. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

Fights/issues/difference of opinion is best when discussed face to face. As you said it correctly, there is a permanent record. So may not be good idea always to discuss these things in mail. It will be like keeping minutes of fights, which can be referred on later date.

But, when it comes to expressing emotions and feelings, emails are very good tool. May be couple in the midst of an ongoing fight and not in talking time for somedays can go for it

IMO...To break the silence, if any one can/will write an email (or may be hand written letter is excellent), expressing how one is disturbed with the current rift and how cool it will be/used to be had the fight not happened, it would surely create a positive impact.

1 person likes this.
  6. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

well, they should talk it /discuss it through frank talk in front of each other. in the case of emails, one partner may be too busy to reply or even read it, leading to more issues, they can even phone and talk it out, if they are far from each other

1 person likes this.
  7. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Tried it once! It backfired miserably! :-(

He read the mail first time - Sad that I was sad. Texted me sorries and love yous.

By the time I reached home - (He had probably re-read it dozens of times) Just because you think so and so, it does not mean so and so, it can also mean so and so. You dont understand. You only think from your perspective. Thanks for the mail. I understood that you'll never understand :rant

While the fact was, it was him who had grossly misunderstood! Phew! Relief when I made him delete it forcefully after a few days, when he was in a good mood.

3 people like this.
  8. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

No! just talk face to face and solving the matter is better than messages and emails... this will remain in the in box which may provoke your DH to read it again and simply unnecessary issues may crop up. Oral face to face argument/discussion which cannot be stored or recorded is much much better.

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Well... email or even a hand written note/letter can back fire big time. There have been times when I felt that I should write to my husband. But it is of no use what so ever. They might cherish hand written love notes, but never this. It becomes a permanent record (as others have pointed out). There are times when having a face to face talk might prove difficult. My suggestion to those times - simply walk away.. It might aggravate the other person, but words once said cannot be taken back. No amount of sorry or explanations can change what has once been said. I have written a very long email listing my side of the arguement once. I wrote it in bullet points and that did have an effect, marginally. Then back to sqaure one!!

Anything done in anger, be it a face to face talk or a note or an email is going to back fire at some point!!

2 people like this.
  10. whatisaguytodo

whatisaguytodo Gold IL'ite

It's a bad idea because tone, body language etc cannot be carried in an email. 70% of communication is with non verbal cues. Emails can easily be misconstrued. If your have to write a long email you need to be very careful with how you are presenting yourself and the words you use.

4 people like this.