1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working just to avoid being home with in-laws

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Nov 4, 2012.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Yes, its all 'case-to-case'. I was assuming the case where son-in-law is financially sound enough to take care of his in-laws. Of course, considering extremely poor families is inappropriate. They wouldn't have any money to go to courts at the first place. Sadly, it is fact of life that only those who have money think about saving/giving/taking/sharing money. I've seen families of 7-12 staying in one-room hut. Such questions are not for them.

2. sweetshreya

Thanks. :) I even expect my husband to say the same if I cringe for his parent's property (not that they have much !!) May the good lord grant me enough sense what to expect and what not to....

3. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

you misunderstood. Son in law is not responsible for "Daughter"...responsible only to his "Wife". So that equation doesnt satisfy by default

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bharat, responding in brief to few of your last posts:

1. Thanks for correcting Barkha Dutt typo. I am not familiar with Indian TV news peoples.

2. In discussions of this nature, people often mention their personal stories and choices; when they do that it becomes dicey to respond as one doesn't want to hurt feelings/sensitivities. I like to keep the discussion generic. When you respond, you also keep it generic. My observation was a positive one, sort of a compliment.

3. Given the past 3-4 pages of discussion, and that what you've (re)presented is the norm, is it at all surprising that people in India continue to wish for and prefer a male child?

4. The fix I see for this imbalance of genders is that every woman should be financially independent. Not just financially capable of supporting herself, but doing it actively. Being a SAHW in Indian scenario sucks.

5. Leave the laws regarding it alone, but if husband and wife do not consider each other's money and responsibilities as "our" money and "our" responsibilities, there is not much in that marriage.

3 people like this.
  5. sweetshreya

Isn't his wife someone's daughter?

6. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

Your point 2, maybe I misunderstood. Thanks for that anyway

Your point 3: You are confused, I have not represented what the norm is…I have only tried to explain the legal practicalities in such kind of cases as per my knowledge and understanding

I cant understand what makes you think that only male child is preferred. And for what reasons? Without being explicit on this, IMO we cannot decide what is norm and what is not.

Your point 4. Financial capability is always good for any one. I think that teens in US work part time to support themselves or their studies. Don’t you think that it should be in india as well?

Why do we think that SAHW in indian scenario sucks? Or may be how many of the so called earning wives are that successful in india or USA in maintaining their relationships?

IMO…it is “this is good for wife/that is good for wife/this way wife will lose/that way she will get benefitted” norm that is equally dangerous. We still don’t think that “this is good for family/that is good for family” where family is husband and wife.

Point 5: Agreed.

7. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

A daughter can be wife to multiple men at different times.

But a daughter is only one time and only for one. Cant compare both positions

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Really? It is so hard to understand? Isn't it a fact that male child is preferred by many even now?

Norm is parents can bring up daughter like they would bring up a son, but, come old age, they will be the "woman's" parents, and hence second-class. They will be welcome to "rent" a place near their daughter's house, while the man's parents can live with their son.
    These are the norms. Even if a woman is earning, her parents come second. Fact. All these "norms" make people prefer or wish for at least one male child. And what is wrong with such wishing or preference given the above norms?

we can mouth platitudes like children are not an investment for old age, but fact remains very old age is a time when people need/want to live with child, and fact remains if parents don't have a male child, too bad...

SAHW in India often have no choice but to suck it up and stay in the marriage. Hence, very low divorce rate. Voila! A "successful" relationship and a "successful" society.

When the woman is a SAHW, some disparity or lopsidedness in the relationship is inevitable. Man and woman can work it out in their own way. In Indian scenario, the man's parents enter the scenario, and that makes it suck.

Aaah... thank you! A pleasure to explain it to you in your own words: Family is husband and wife. And their kids.

3 people like this.
  9. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

Post deleted

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Rihana ,

Wow,all i can say is :bowdown

Am :drowning ,how are you able to make such 'bang-on' replies?

4 people like this.