1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working just to avoid being home with in-laws

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

1. The common sense of the husband
    2. The level of support/happiness/joy and any other value addition that husband feels wife has given to him in marriage
    3. The relationship that he shares with his wife and in laws(vice versa)
    4. How well wife and her parents can harass/threaten/bully the husband and blackmail him emotionally/psychologically/physically

One or combination of above could be some primary factors. But since every household is unique, each could have his own factors along with/apart from the above

xx/xy are children of Mr & Mrs Y?

Cook only 1 cup, 4 chapati and laundry only wife’s. Let husband and others starve or cook themselves. Rest assured, not husband or in laws, even Supreme Court cannot ask wife why she didn’t do those. I can vouch for that.

Nothing wrong…as long as wife has chosen her own responsibility just like husband. No wrong at all

Why only these...I have mentioned others in my other post also. Convince the husband…or threaten/harass husband and in laws (which is widely preferred and followed)

There were some cases where court has rejected to order husband to live separately from his parents as part of wife demand to join back her matrimony home (with in laws). Since the court cannot force the wife to join her husband, husband has option to file for divorce based on desertion charges. This is as per my knowledge and if any other option, please share it here

What is wrong if husband wants to stay with parents and at the same time ensure a peaceful and happy matrimony home for wife… is also a genuine question I think. It is the way people think and nothing else

Thanks for that :)

1 person likes this.
  2. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

At least in India, with old judges holding the chair and old aged politicians making the laws, there is no hope for such wives. It is very very nice to be old in India. One can easily bully their children whichever way they want, as long as they live. No one will question them because they sit at the high pedestal of 'being elders' :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. They should not take it personally because the woman is treating her parents also similarly. The woman only wants to live with the freedom, privacy and independence that comes with a nuclear family until both sets of parents are able to live by themselves.

The one thing that is appreciable in India is that laws are enacted if there is a need without too much fanfare. Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007. Note the gender-neutral nature of the law at the bottom of page 1. So, there is a country enough for old men and women, when they are no longer able to live by themselves or after the man/woman have been married for a few years and had a chance to build a strong marriage foundation without there being 4 people in the marriage from day one.

Yes, due to traditional expectations of the man, he gets a label of bad son if he doesn't take care of parents while if woman does not support her parents, she could get away with it. This needs to change.

Also, parents not living with a child does not mean child cannot support them financially and otherwise.

A corollary question: :)
    If a SAHW cannot support her parents financially, would it be fair enough that the parents of the woman can will that their house should go to son only, and if no son, to charity or other relatives? Will their "sole wage-earner" son-in-law be OK with his SAHW not receiving a paisa from her parents' assets after their deaths?

1 person likes this.
  4. sweetshreya

Rihana, if a parent has only daughters and those daughters are all SAHW, then, legally, the Son-in-law is required to take care of them financially. This is because husband's money is considered the wife's by law, at least in this case. I conformed it from a lawyer friend of mine just now :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Rihana

Question is long-ish, so answer is proportionate : )

Ideally, when both are ambitious working professional they are smart enough to discuss childcare before baby is born.

Someone other than husband and wife and their kids living in the same house, for whatever reason, should happen with both husband and wife's approval. An exception being if parents are too frail to live by themselves, in which case, husband/wife gets to have them move in, no discussion.

Earlier you said that woman can move out if she doesn't like living with in-laws. similarly, husband can quit his work and take care of children if he is particular about only blood relatives taking care of them. wife is ambitious and can be the sole wage-earner.

Also, if husband thinks that "grandparents are best caretakers after parents and husband/wife can concentrate on careers" if grandparents live with them, then, there is the option of the woman's parents moving in with them, right? Or, is that not something the husband wants, and he was using 'kids' caretaker and concentrate on career' as reason/excuse to have his parents live with them and wife be thankful to them for that?

My turn: :)

Question: What do you think of the husband's action in this true story: An email from a Happily Married Indian Daughter in law
    Why might he have initiated the separate living? Were his actions selfish?

The last few paragraphs of the story, starting with "BUT. The freedom was unparalleled.." says it all.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rihana

Hee hee, confirming with lawyer friend. :)

That is pretty much what I thought. But, Bharat said something like courts will treat it as case-to-case basis, and there is a 10% chance of woman's parents getting support from sole-wage-earner son-in-law.

I hope Bharat will respond to the corollary question - if SAHW should not support her parents financially, is it OK for them to not include her in their will? Will her sole-wage-earner husband be ok with his wife not receiving a paisa from her parents after their death. (dowry is 100% illegal).

1 person likes this.
  7. sweetshreya

Ya, she did law, but came here after marriage. Got her call and just asked her. I've told her about IL and told her there was this discussion going on :)

In case where old people do not have anyone else to support, responsibility goes to dear Son-in-law. It will be treated case to case, but don't think the chances are that low. Also, all SILs will may have to pay equally.

Can I answer the corollary question too? If husband complains, the wife should ask the husband to 'shut the @#%^&*'. :)

Passing it on to Bharat. Please respond.....

1 person likes this.
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Question is for Bharat but couldnt resist....
    If the property is ancestral then per Hindu property division whether or not
    a daughter helps the parents...she gets a share. It would be good to hear from a lawyer what happens in case the parents have to sell out their ancestral property in order to take care of themselves when the children refuse to support them.(and the children who are over 18 refuse to sign the papers needed)

If the property is self-earned...the SonInLaw can complain all he wants but has no legal standing.

1 person likes this.
  9. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

:eek:mg:Rihana .......you are Burkha Dutt......arent you?

...serisoly. tell tell.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

:) I went and looked at Burkha Dutt's picture. There is some similarity, that's all :)

Bharat engages in discussion using general theoretical Mr and Mrs John Doe examples, and not his personal life-choices, so extended post-mortem is possible : ) without hurting feelings/sensitivities.

It is my belief that back and forth discussions here help in delivering an angst-free us to our spouses. :)