1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why divorce rate is increasing in India day by day?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Pranjjal, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ali

ali Bronze IL'ite

certainly you are right. the husband can not ask the wife to take care of his aged parents when they didn't give preference to help the daughter-in-law. Here the system of life is entirely changed. we can not find joint families but my idea is the presence of elders give us some moral support and they can help us when we required the help. every one in the family should feel responsible and should help each other.

2. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

We can't find joint families more because now a days they are not willing to compromise jointly. And this affects married life because all people don't want to accept the changes in the system. Even if men and women stay in joint family under one roof there is a problem and even they stay in nuclear family there is a problem. And this is also one of the reason of increase in divorce rate.

3. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

I haven't read full thread, so sorry if I lose some context, but I read someone asking men to provide ideas to solve this.
    Firstly, are we sure there is something to be solved here? I mean many people believe high divorce rate is related to women empowerment(and they may be correct). We celebrate women empowerment, why castigate high divorce rate? May be high divorce rate is better for women empowerment. If you look at history of feminist movement in west, in late 80's a faction of feminists encouraged women to not marry or divorce because they declared "marriage is an institution designed to subjugate and supress women". Ofcourse this led to division of opinion among feminists themselves, but if marriage is indeed an institution of supression of women, is it not indeed good that such an institution dies its own death?

Secondly, someone asked about males changing(could catch it as it was in red). But have females been changing? Do you know of a female who is worried about financial well being of her husband and children in case she dies accidentally? Who took a large life insurance policy on herself(other than tax purpose), worried that her husband may not be able to manage alone? I have more questions but more will make discussion go awry.

2 people like this.
  4. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

@ bold Yes of course we r worried of finances. Say if I am earning money and I am investing it on my name then I will assign my DH and my kid as a nominee to my account. Of course I will be happy to take Life Insurance policy on my name and will pay the premium and same applies I will assign nominee to my DH and kid so that they will get benefits after me.

I am not getting what do you want to prove do u want to say when women earns they earns for themselves and when hubbies earns they earns for family?????? What a rubbish!!

They should better worry that if there wife dies then who will look after them and who will take care of their tummy lol and kids because they are not independent and they don't want to change.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    3 people like this.
  5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Coming to the original question, I will add one more point and that is smaller families. In earlier days, when people had 4-5 kids, a girl's parents were worried how a daughter's divorce would affect her siblings, and also they had to plan financially and in other ways the weddings of their other kids.Now, many people have just 1-2 kids and people don't want their single daughter to suffer. In short, divorce is more acceptable to the parents now then it was in earlier days.

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Pranjjal, the fact is the social structure and functioning was designed in such a way that men and their families had the upper hand. So it is understandable that they do not want to change the equilibrium where they were at an advantage. After all how many people would want to give up something that benefits them?

Talking of their working as chefs in restaurants, they would consider that as their profession and expertise, but at home they would expect to be waited on by the wife - because they want to be boss. They are not sold on equality.

This is true of many people. Of course we are also seeing many men changing (if given half a chance by their moms) and helping out at home. But we still have a long way to go. In that sense I see a similarity between the caste system and male-female equations.

I am not so sure that this part of your statement is 100% true. If you compare men today and probably men in our grandfather's generation, men today certainly have higher stress levels at work and also face increased expectations and demands on their time and contributions within the home (it is another matter whether they fulfill those demands or not, but if they don't there is certainly more disharmony and levels of stress would be higher). Our grandfathers worked mostly from 9-5, came home and had a doting wife (who demanded nothing like we do of our husbands) who would wait on him hand and foot. I don't remember too many of them looking after children's homework or taking them for extra classes or helping to keep them clean. Now whether men and women suffer from equal levels of stress these days is a different matter altogether.

Whatever it be, the fact that there is so much stress and discord all round, no wonder there is an increase in the incidence of divorces.

4 people like this.
  7. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

oh my my my ... left and right bang bang to all the men who are out there ...
    Sorry I couldn't go through everyone's post here but I would like to add some.
    More and more women are educated and changing their world how they want to be but men are still same.
    They want to sit in front of Laptop/TV/Newspaper and expect everything else should be done by wife.
    woman had a vast makeover but man still the same.

20th century only men used to work outside
    21st century women and men used to work outside
    22nd century women,men,pets used to work outside ??????

8. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

in many of the threads discussed in IL what i find is either of the partner's unwillingness to attend counselling to make a marriage work.so bringing a law like making counselling as the first mandatory step in a divorce process -will that reduce the number of failing marriages?

3 people like this.
  9. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

@Pranjall, What you replied to was actually recently published by a leading Insurance company. Women comprise ~45% of workforce(US data) but comprise miniscule percentage is non-corporate life insurance policy holders. Insurance companies' main target clients continue to be middle aged men. Having nomination(which is free) is different from paying premiums to ensure what shall happen without me. (Please note, I am not saying women are bad, they dont care, I am saying there is difference in thinking and sense of responsibility from women themselves). Your following statement proves that further when you say men should more be worried about how their tummies will get filled. Yes, that is fact, men will worry about tummy getting filled and not about finances, the question is why women think that men should worry about tummy? Perhaps, what I am trying to say is, women do earn, but not with the sense of primary breadwinner. Men continue to hold that responsibility and women let it be so. You may be different, or you may not think this is so, but I threw in my opinion.

Anyhow, I was more interested in knowing the second part. Do women feel that marriage is an institution designed to supress women? To keep them under male control? If so, shouldn't we, as society, celebrate rise in divorce rate and lowering of marriage rate? Why try to keep up an institution that is oppressive for half the population?

2 people like this.
  10. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

No I don't think so It will only increase the business of marriage counselling. We will get another profession to earn money that's it because the couple who already did enough damage to each other emotionally, mentally/financially/physically reach to the final decision of divorce and at that stage nothing can change their decision. Taking Divorce is the final and extreme stage of mind one has reached.
    Prevention is better than cure. So I feel when couple senses that something is wrong in their chemistry they should sit and with mutual understanding reach to a conclusion what is to change to bring the chemistry between couple again. Marriage is like a car it can not work on flat tire.

Lack of understanding,Not willing to think of others,Stress,Greediness,Selfishness,Self esteem, Rudeness, Disrespect,No value of others feelings,Jealously,Arrogance,Short tempered,Liar,Cheating,Ignorant,Annoying,Two faced etc These bad qualities come into unhappy married couple. Can't couple together work on it to avoid divorce??????

1 person likes this.