1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband just doesn't like my parents

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by g3veda, Oct 31, 2011.

1. g3veda

g3veda New IL'ite

Hi Folks,

I just felt like sharing my plight on this forum as I am just unable to share this with anyone else in person.

My husband and me are first cousins and we have been married to each other for the past 6 yrs.

My husband just hates my parents due the following reasons:
    1. My parents intrude into our affairs often in the name of giving suggestions and finally end up deciding for us in almost every matter.
    2. My parents are overly affectionate with my children and they keep advising us on how to behave with our children. They go to the extent of deciding everything for them and force us to accept their decisions.

I myself am utterly tired with my parents behaviour and if I tell them to stay out of our matters they become very hurt. My husband sometimes becomes really ferocious because of their obsessive behaviour and speaks of them badly (only in between the 2 of us) but doesn't hurt them in person. But I am mentally tortured cos they are ultimately my parents and anyone hurling abusive language at my parents is totally unacceptable to me even though my parents might be in the wrong. At the same time I can understand what my husband is going through but am unable to help the situation much.

I am so terribly stuck in between my parents and husband. I can understand that my parents want the best for me and my kids but in the process trump on my husband's dignity and contribution to the family.

It just feels devastating to go on like this.....I am mentally pressured to convince and keep both parties happy but in the process I loose my calmness and peace....

Will appreciate your advise/suggestions/consolations etc .....thanks folks...

2. gopituty

gopituty Silver IL'ite

What............................. The title should be 'My Parents intrude into our affairs" and not this.. As a father he'll have his own wish to grow his kid.. Yes you can be a part of it.. And surely not your parents.. It will be really annoying to him.. As a guy, i can understand it.. What a lovely guy you have got.. He is becoming ferocios to you and not showing to your parents.. You are Blessed.. Its in your hands to keep him like that.. Otherwise he might end up shouting with your parents which is not good for anyone.. you are worrying for your parents and not for your DH.. too bad...

3 people like this.
  3. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

It seems to be a bit of role reversal here...usually it's the DIL who has complaints like these about the PILs. Anyway you need to get your parents to understand that their interference is not welcome. Be firm and tell them strongly not to interfere. Don't worry too much about hurting them...I'm sure they'll get over it soon.

Regarding your dh tell him gently that you agree what they're doing is not right and you'll try your best to stop it but request him not to say anything bad about them to you because you love your parents even with all their faults.

4. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Quite true gopi.

The matter is still in your hands.... stop their interference before it take toll on your DH.

Being in relation...your parents take your DH for granted. Next time if your parents try to impose or guide him just tell firmly that your DH wont like this at all and you are having tough time dealing with him regarding this and he wants this in his own way...thats it. Tell the truth... your parents have to realise this issue and should keep their thoughts till advising not imposing.

5. DaffodilGirl

DaffodilGirl New IL'ite

Hello,
    I think you are in a sandwich situation beind the filling and pushed from both ends by love, one your parents and your husband. Let your parents know that your husband wants to do things for 'his' kids and also you can stop telling them every little detail that happens in your family, so that way they can't really advise you/husband on how to handle kids/family or other issues. I assume from all you have said, that your husband is a patient person and you need to mend things before they go really wrong because A stitch in time saves 9.
    And also talk to your parents about how they bought you up, did they have to listen to/take someone's advise all the time. Finally, to make a point, I appreciate how you see things and evaluate who is right and do see a problem insted of just siding with parents and thinking they are always right which causes most of the problems in a family.
    Keep trying, be strong but fast. Good luck.

6. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

For a change its nice to read that the girl's parents are the control freaks. Poor Son in Law.
    You have to let your parents know not to decide everything for you.
    Anyway, how does your parents know what's happening in your life and kid's life. So your ar being a Momma and Pappa's girl. Grow up stop giving info about the family matters and make decissions.

1 person likes this.
  7. gopituty

gopituty Silver IL'ite

Yes true.. She is acting as Papa'a and Momma's gal.. Or their parents stay closer to their place and his husband is not restricting her to visit her Momma and they misuse it..

8. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

OP:
    I was in your same boat at one point of time or I still am! I'm a Daddy's girl, and it gets on my BF's nerves. I let my dad decide every thing for me. One fine day, he sat down with me to explain, how it would be if he were the momma's boy, and dang, I woke up! I didnt hurt my parents and didnt ask them to back off, because I understood that my dad is very over protective with his daughters. The best way out of that was to reduce talking about every damn thing with him. Obviously in the most important of decisions, his word will have a lot of importance, but in other things, I would rather tell them, after I plan/ do something.

Example:

1. Earlier, I would have asked my dad what dates I should travel to India in, now, I would tell him, Oh, I'm looking at these dates, let me know if its not convenient. The dimension of information changes, and it helps a lot!
    2. Its okay to talk everyday, but not necessary to pour out your thoughts. Keep it simple.
    3. And its okay to tell them, that you want certain things done your way, be assertive, but not hurtful.

Most of all, I would tell you please balance your parents, and your H! Otherwise, this will end up with your H getting more resentful towards your parents!

3 people like this.
  9. g3veda

g3veda New IL'ite

Thanks guys for replying....just to give you some details....We live near our parents cos we have 2 kids who are taken care of by my parents when we are at work. And I am neither a papa or mama's gal...I am just trying to be very cautious on not hurting both my parents and as well as my DH as they are both the most important parties in my life. But i am going to be more headfast with my parents from now on so that both my hubby and me have our own space and rights to make our decisions. I am pretty sure i m going to hurt them along this journey but I do not have a choice and I do not want my marriage to break for any reason. The problem here is that they still treat us as kids....I will have to make them understand.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Looks like your parents are slave driving you. You have kids, you are no more a kid and they dont have the right to take decision for you or DH or ur kids.

Nobody has the right to decide on other person's life be it ur parents or MIL. In the coming days, even we dont have the right to take decisions for our kids after a point.

Just put an end to your parents interference in your life, let them get hurt otherwise your dh will constantly get hurt and one day will burst out to your parents. That time things will be out of your control and might end up as a permanent rift.

So act soon!!!