1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Arranged marriages or Live in relationships

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweetyk, Oct 25, 2011.

1. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

This topic is pinching me. India had its customs, values and believes. As days pass by every thing is changing.

India is leaving behind its customs day by day.

Today many youngsters believe in Live in relationships where pre marrital sex is no more considered wrong.

How ever there are many people who believe in our customs and still considering arranged marriages.

What about future generation our kids time after 20 years. Will we be able to accept the concept? if we insert in there mind the values we believed in will they ever get married?

If they are raised especially in USA, even if they consider our customs, values and believes I am just thinking will they even get married as there may not be any more arranged marriages after 20 years and with out any dating or live in relationships will some one even consider them.

Ladies please let me know your views.

Thanks,
    sweety

2. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

i dont see anything wrong in live-ins. if you are fine with it, then why not? just that it should be a committed relationship. some ppl have a thing against marriage, they do not want to be tied down, but stilll want to be together. for them it works just fine. why judge if its right or wrong morally at all?

20 yrs down the line, the concept of arranged marriages will be obsolete. 'marriage' as an institution will still hold its own though. but arranged marriages?? no, i dont think so.

4 people like this.
  3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

I think, mariages will be a rarity, a great event in the future.

3 people like this.
  4. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

I think so too. Its already absolutely normal in Europe to be an unwed mother, is ok in US and sooner or later will catch up in Asia. While divorce rate fluctuates from 70's to now, marriage rate has been only one trend......downward......World is at historic low of marriage rate and I see no reason why this would reverse.

5. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Rather than generalizing it as how it will be in "India", I guess the focus should be on how we raise our children.

I strongly believe in the sanctity of marriage and I know 'pre-marital sex' and 'live-in relationships' are not God's plan for us. To the best of my ability I will pass on these values to my children. I guess 20 years down the road the pressure to conform to popular opinion will be as strong as it is even now...my hope is that my children will be firmly rooted and strong enough to take a stand against it, however 'unpopular' it may be in the eyes of others :)

Am really not too worried about 'marriage' disappearing off the face of the earth..who knows, maybe 20 years down the road people will be so fed up with immorality, divorce, infidelity, and self-gratification, that they may begin to embrace the "married for life" idea even more!

vaidehi71, swt.charu, flowing and 4 others like this.
  6. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

This is what I strongly believe in. For me Marriage is not for sex or any expectation from spouse as well. I always believed marriage is a commitment and two souls get into this institution two support each others spiritual growth.

I am totally against to sex before marriage. For me sex is a holy act to be performed only with one person that is husband.

I am going teach the same to my kids.

Sweety

vaidehi71, underhill and SujySreeram like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sweety,

Every "tradition", "custom", "value" has come into existence at some point of time for a purpose. Some values are immutable - for instance, don't kill, don't steal, don't hurt others - these are universal values which cannot be negotiated or changed at any point of time. Nothing can make these actions right.

Marriage as an institution was created with the purpose of protecting the then weaker sections of society viz. women and children. Arranged marriages were the norm because women did not go out of the house and did not have any exposure to people behind their own family circles. Besides, financial interests dictated the custom of co-sanguinous marriages. Good or bad, that was the situation then.

Today the situation has changed. Women are independent and might choose to be single. They might decide not want to have kids and for some women (I am not talking of those women who marry for love) may decide they do not want to get married at all. I would not be surprised seeing how women are moving forward economically and personally, but how the attitude to them after marriage (vis a vis relationship with in-laws) has not changed much. In fact I am shocked at some of the stories one hears and reads - it seems like we are regressing rather than progressing.

As for live-in relationships, well, all I can say is those who want to stay committed to one person need to have a lot of attachment, love and tolerance for the other person. It is that which constitutes the basis of a marital relationship, not the legal bit of paper or the ritualistic act of taking vows in front of the fire. A person in a "legal marriage" may or may not have these qualities, just as one in a live in relationship may or may not. It is ultimately the persons who make up the relationship not the piece of paper. The sanctity of the relationship is in the love they feel for each other, not in the rituals. If the individuals concerned are not committed, they will get divorced even if they are "legally" married to each other. It is only that - a legality. I don't think a break up in a live in relationship is any easier emotionally than a divorce. Besides, a live in relationship does not have to mean multiple partners or jumping from one relationship to another. One can live an equally committed life devoted to each other within this sort of relationship too.

These are more of social arrangements which change with time and we have to be prepared to face whatever changes take place in future. I am sure our grandparents find it equally difficult to bear witness to the change in social structure that has taken place in the past few decades.

4 people like this.
  8. chweetchoyee

chweetchoyee Gold IL'ite

I dont know about future and dont want to predict... But if u take for instance.. the fashion industry.. All the old style are becoming as a new trend for youngster.. Likewise who knows they may opt for arranged marriage thinking as a new trend after years.. Anyways.. Its all depend on how we follow those culture and pass it on to our kids. Each and every culture or customs has its own reason and meaning and we must make sure to explain our kids the same.

At present, yes there are less value. Today's generation they name it as modernization but they actually fail to understand it. And being in any country, India or US, it depends on us what culture to take and what not? Even in US and Europe there so many people who do follow customs, values and respect emotions. Important fact is what u want to take out of it.

As you sow so shall you reap..

9. chweetchoyee

chweetchoyee Gold IL'ite

i happened to meet a brazilian lady who will be getting married soon. She was trying to share her little knowledge bt our country. In her village they teach their kids bt indian culture and their tradition it seems.. She did even mentioned the concept of arranged marriage and the customs, rituals we do. This simply shows we are trying to teach the wrong part of western culture whereas they are taking good part of our culture. So indirectly it is our responsibility to teach our kids the same.

1 person likes this.
  10. karthikshetty

karthikshetty Senior IL'ite

It depends on your perception of a relationship. If you feel that marriage is a stamp of approval to live together then it is wrong. I've seen many married couples who silently suffer and have to put up with each other just to make things work. The so-called live-in relationships are nothing but a trial room for couples. It's a convenient way to understand each other, do everything that you have to, without having to keep any commitments. It's more like friends-with-fringe-benefits.

The real deal is marriage; we did not have a choice of parents or siblings yet we learnt to adjust and compromise despite each other's flaws...why can't the same logic apply for an arranged marriage...

I married the most wonderful woman through an arrangement and never regretted one bit.

1 person likes this.