1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Learning driving from husband! SCARY......plz help..............

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by diva6, Aug 29, 2011.

1. diva6

diva6 New IL'ite

Hi,

I am 28 and have a 15months old baby. I started to learn driving from my husband, because I badly need to know driving if I want to go back to work.

I learned driving in India, but it took me a while to understand manual car. So I did not get any chance to practice on road. My husband had a high hope, because of this. But when I started learning here it's completely different story. I started to drive past few days here and my husband keeps yelling at me when I go wrong.

He keeps telling me that I will not get my license if I drive that way. I don't need to find job, because he can't drop me, bla bla bla!!!! Although I drive car well (off course this is my thought), for some reason I am not able to park (not parallel) car properly in an easy spot. Sometimes I found difficulty doing reverse. He does not understand that every person is different....every time we went to practice driving we ended up with fighting...I feel really helpless....

I am actually scared every time when he takes me out to driving as to what am I going to hear for the day and also he says me that he shouts so that I will do it better the next time. But if I did the mistake again, then I felt like he was going to kill me...OMG! When he shouts I could not concentrate on my driving and only could concentrate if I will make mistakes and if he is going to shout at me. This gives me a feeling that I cant drive. Anybody please tell me what should I do...I guess I am the only person who is not able park the car properly...That's what I hear all the time.....I am really depressed....

I wanted to learn driving from an instructor, but it's expansive...I don't know what I should do.....plz help me.....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

2. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Have you told your husband that his yelling only demotivates you and it would take forever for you to drive with confidence? Tell him you need his support and encouragement but him being insensitive towards you makes you feel nervous and scared everytime you want to drive that you can't concentrate on the driving. It's also dangerous as you may end up knocking some where.

If possible learn driving from a female friend/ neighbour who is an expert driver. Female drivers tend to be more relaxed and would instruct you with patience.

All the best with your driving.

3. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

hi
    Don't ever learn to drive from your husband. I am telling you this from my experience. My husband never encouraged me to learn driving. I enrolled myself in a clss. but they do not teach you properly. It only helps you in getting a drivers license. After the term of the class was over,I had to learn from a private instructor. My husband told me no need to waste money on a private instructor, I will teach you. Every time he used to take me out to teach, we used to fight. He also blamed me for the reason his blood pressure was shooting up. Then and there I decided, I will learn froma private instructor. Though the private instructor yells at you, it does not affect personal relationship. Now I am driving fine. Driving comes with practise. There are some people whoa re anturally good at driving and parking, including women. while some or not. I think driving in india is more difficult than driving in America. you have automatic gears in cars. don't give up hope. you will get better with practice.
    If you don't learn in 1 month, you will learn in 2 months, but you will definitely learn
    Safe driving

4. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Exactly don't ever learn driving from husbands this has been experienced by 90% of the wives, best thing is to learn from a female friend where u wont get nervous and really try to learn.

My hubby was my first driving instructor, all I do was to sweat and learn nothing, he use yell at me so badly that I use press the accelerator instead of the brake, he use to say that I should just forget about learning how to drive a car as I am not fit for it. Then and there I thought I shuld learn how to drive but not from him, so i enrolled in driving class plus his female cousin use to teach me in her car, and now driving has become a part of my life. Now my DH boasts that because of his yelling and shoutings I learned how to drive properly!!!!!

Regarding parking, you will do it perfectly after a lot of practice, never give up hope!

5. ladybug23

ladybug23 Senior IL'ite

hehehe.....husbands are the the worst driving instructors (in my humble opinion). I have gone thro the same thing. yelling and screaming ...OMG!!! dont even want to think abt it. I cldn't take it and hired a driving instructor. the difference was like day and night. And in a cpl of classes I got the license!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Even I had the same experience: don't learn from your husband. In my case, I was rusty for driving a standard transmission although I had a lot of experience some years before. I went out with my husband and he got me so nuts we had a big fight while driving, I just stopped the car in four lane traffic in front of a mall, yelled at him you are so smart you drive it home, got out and walked home.

Call AAA office...they will have a listing of instructors.

2 people like this.
  7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Diva, I second all the ladies here. Its really bad idea. When I was in US, I was staying with my friends. I learned through an instructor and got license. I used to drive myself. Then I moved with my husband. He is a kind and quiet person, but he transforms to a completely different MONSTER when I am behind the wheels. Note this is after I learned driving. We can't help it, they become over-protective. And we definitely lose confidence. I admit driving classes are expensive, but we can't help it. You can look around for offers - like 2 classes free, 5 for 3 classes. With instructors I definitely feel comfortable. I even tried with some of my friends to teach me driving, but it takes longer and you wont be confident during the test. So just find an instructor, that's the best option.

Tashidelek2000, that's really good one. I did somewhat similar thing. Once we started to go to a mall and I didn't even touched the highway he started to yell in a loud voice. I was so pissed, for to my knowledge I was doing everything good. And I am very cautious driver. He kept shouting "pull over I will take control". I looked the road, nobody behind me and there were some cars in the opposite lane [but very far]. I stopped there, took a Y-turn [in a busy road] with my husband screaming inside the car "What the hell are you doing?????", by the time I was in the last turn in the Y, the cars reached me and they stopped. I didn't speak a word till we drove back home and said "Here take control now".

ilt

8. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

hey... dont you worry... i took 5 tests to get one license in the same CA. i too had the same problem of parking and reversing. huh! reverse was the worst in fact. once i went to bank in a jam packed parking lot with my 4 months old in the back seat. i didnt know how to park safely w/o hitting the side by cars. i started bursting into tears. and there came an old man who instructed me to turn the steering and helped me to park. shamelessly i did and thanked him!!

just keep practicing in your residential house itself. choose a big mall, ask your husband to park in a place where you have quite some place. ask your husband step inside the mall to buy something. meanwhile you practice going around the rows of car, try parking there. for the reversing - just understand that the steering should be just turned in the opposite way. you turn left, your car will go left. dont just use the rear view. turn your head and do it, take breaks to see the front side also.

9. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

its a bad idea to have husband as instructor. now i am in the same boat.

i learnt in india but never practiced so, here though it was not difficult to start off, i have difficulty staying in lane or do certain mistakes, and my DH shouts aloud, i give a deaf ear though, i correct after he shouts... i will be calm and composed and keep driving, just following his shouting instruction but dont care what he shouts. he thinks i am angry that he is shouting but i dont care and once i am out of the car i speak normally.

just know that u wd fair well by practice.

10. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Dont learn driving from your husband. You might loose your self confidence. i learned 6 yrs back driving in CA from a mexican lady. I dont have her number now though. But do research you will defienetly find one. i think they charge around 200$ they also take you to test in their car. good luck!