1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pls comment :Need help to analyse this

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Saumyamom, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Howdy ppl

Hope you guys are doing great..I have been wondering about this question about a long time now and since I could not come to any solid conclusion I thought of sharing it here.
    I was wondering(DISCLAIMER:This is for the luckier lot who dont have anyting majorly and fundamentally wrong with their resp spouses) that all of us know that fighting ,physically abusing,yelling,using fowl language,cursing each other's parents and all such negative things can have an indelible impression on the young minds and sometimes on the marriage then why are we not able to stop ourselves from doing it when we feel the urge to fight triggered with extreme anger on things that we are very sensitive about .In our sane minds we know that by shouting at somebody or demeaning thm we cant really change them so the very purpose of fighting is also defeated.SO WHY IS THE URGE OF ANGER SO STRONG THAT IT EVEN SUPPRESSES THE WELFARE OF OUR CHILDREN ON OUR MINDS.When we recall the fight we figure most of the times that fight was way way over the intensity of the original issue.I dont know whether I am making any sense here ,but what i wanna know that being the well informed generation that we are even after knowing the ill effects of a broken or a violent home why are we so compulsively obsessed with getting our way of things ,Is it a deeper issue then what it seems?

2. sweetanju4uu

sweetanju4uu Bronze IL'ite

hi saumya..it's a good question that you have asked..personally I feel, we let out our anger without thinking of it's far reaching consequences, just so we feel that we have got our justice..maybe we feel cheated about the situation and in order to maintain our self respect and sanity ,to say the least, we just lash out. of course, we feel sorry for it afterwards. the post math is always over whelming and we end up feeling guilty through and through. sad to say that this cannot be controlled so easily, but we may win, over time..

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

hi saumya,

it is already a step in the right direction when one realizes their weak point. being to see that and to acknowledge is a major step forward. now to your whys: anger, ego, desire to be done right by, all these are as natural to our natures. it is as natural to us as breathing.

now think what we do when we do breathing exercises, or when we learn swimming. we train our breathing to respond suitably to our situation - i.e. breathe out in water and breathe in when we raise our heads out of water. we train the length of inspiration and expiration to suit the length of time our noses are in water or outside. this might be somewhat different to our natural cycle of breathing.

similarly when you have realized that there is a problem with your reactions in provocative situations, it is up to you to consciously train your reactions to make sure that you do not do or say something that you will regret afterwards. this will certainly take time. none of us are saints. it may even take many lifetimes to conquer a weakness, but the effort has to be constant.

i don't know if i make sense or whether the example i have given here makes any sense, but that is the first one that came to mind.

i do hope you get your answer to your question if not from me, then from one of many replies here.

4. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Thank you sweetanju4uu,I guess when we feel cheated or exploited the adrelanine rush numbs everything else at that point (I dont know if it is scientifically true too ) but you did point tpwards the right direction

5. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Satchi I have personally started working in this direction that next time when i will be in aprovocative situation what exactly will i do so that i dont burst out.Thanks for the example makes it easier to unerstand!

6. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

I grew up in this kind of environment with lot of physical, mental abuse between parents . In the initial years of my marriage, I too expressed my anger beyond sanity to my dh, who inturn pointed out my behaviour. My parents marriage reflected in front of my eyes and I realized, that my marriage, my dh and our happiness is more important to me than anything else in this world. We do have our arguments but I make it a point to never drag that issue. If he is raising his voice and getting madder, I just stop it right there and calmly respond to the situation.

Only once we did have our share of exchanging negative talks about our parents. After that I have realized is to never curse or talk very rudely about each other's parents no matter how bad they (ils) have treated us.
    Just like I cannot hear foul/curse remarks about my parents, same with dh. If I had problem with my Ils, I will start like "I 'm deeply hurt with what dad did today..."and end my story with " what to do?" And as I'm telling my story I make sure I don't use provoking words about his family. Here is an example of similar situation as yours.

My elder sil has problems with her mil. She complained to her dh that "your mother is blood monster, she backstabbed me even after I took very good care of her during her sickness". Her dh literally thrashed her for using foul language and their fight continued for days.

There are times and situations, where I would be very emotional or going nuts.... I just think "what is important to me? Is this argument more important than our happiness?what is it's weight?" I just let go of my ego, my desires and "my way". Some times dh understands and make decisions "our way".

I hope my post adds some value. We have been married for 10 years and we rarely fight. Even if we fight it will be mostly on trivial issues and make up within minutes.

7. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Good question....we fight to prove ourself..to prove ours is the correct decision..when other is not accepting us we cross our limit even amid our children..some pople try to control their anger for the welfare of the family..some dont bother about others..

8. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

THank you gujulady and cinderella..That helped!

9. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Soumya,

Certainly, you make sense. And, it is a deeper issue, pervading every home........only the extent and severity differs from home to home. In some homes, such bitter mutual fights will be the least , and in some, it will be maximum.

The Urge of Anger, as you have named it is.........because of our Emotions overwhelming our Intellect. Two different areas control our emotions and intellect respectively. The Intellect is controlled by an area in brain called, "pre-frontal cortex". The Emotions are controlled by an area in brain called, "limbic system" . In Evolutionary terms, this limbic system is more primitive and powerful. It has an overriding control over the pre-frontal cortex. That is why often we find our emotions overpowering us, in spite of how intelligent and well informed we are.

Not that, we are always destined to be the slaves of our emotions. With training one can learn how to have better control over one's emotions. The recent terminology used in this context is "Emotional Intelligence". As some one above mentioned, "meditation" is one of the ways of learning to have better control over one's emotions, which is being acknowledged by Modern Psychiatry now.

10. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Thanks IndianGuy,Just out of genuine curiosity(no offence meant ),are you from a medical field?