1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of trust and love ..pls help

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by stuti, Dec 18, 2010.

1. stuti

stuti Junior IL'ite

Hello ,

My problem is again similar as of everyone here. My In laws were living with us in india and I did not share a good relationship with MIL. My MIL is a social butterfly and very lazy to do any household work such as cooking. I was working too so used to leave my 5 month old son at home with in-laws. But my MIL would even leave my son alone with maid or FIL and go to kitty parties etc. She has no attachment with grandchildren. She only cares abt her social friends circle.My husband was fully aware of everything and used to support me 100% because he saw everything from his own eyes how my MIL is treating my house and child. She never cookied any meal and just sit around , watch TV after coming from parties. She would not even let us keep a live in maid for some reason best known to her. DH tried to speak to her so many times regarding the issues but nothing changed. He tried everything...speaking gently, shouting , crying but my MIL attitute did not change a bit. MY DH was so frustated and So we decided to move to US. Now my IL keep staying in our house and have a lavish lifestyle with no responsibilities. My DH once asked them to move to their own house but they refused as they like the high class social circle and glamour of the big city. We accepted our fate and moved on. Till this time me and my hubby shared a very good relationship.
    Now the problem is that after coming here which is very shocking and unexpected. Now I am also working fulltime here in US and as u all know a very busy life style with 1 year old son. Beleive me I do so much for DH , cook him fresh healthy and his favoiurite meals. Cook 2 veggies for him even after coming home from work at 6. Cook for fussy eating baby. Do our household work and get 0 percent support from husband. (u know how indian male child is pampered there and so do not help wife in US after marriege). I complaint sometimes but no result so i keep on doing eveything on my own so as to just be a happy fammily away from IL's problems. Now my husband has started missing his parents, has started appreciating his mother and has forgotten everything what happened in india. He has suddenly chaged and says his parents are best in the world....maybe I am the culprit for how my MIL behaved in india. He says , taking care of our son is not their responsibility and they should be free to enjoy their life. he has started hating me and avoiding me.... I spend whole evening in kitchen to take care of everyone needs (beleive me we only used to eat lunch in office. no bfast , no dinner- just bcoz my MIL would not cook and I sometimes cud not cook after coming from office and with a 5 month old baby) and instead of appreciating , he says i am not efficient and i dont know time management and am unproductive thats why i spend so much time in kitchen. We have almost no physical life ever since we came to US. IMO, he thiinks that i am the reason that he has to be away from his parents. Although my IL are having a luxery life without even having to spend one rupee. MY DH takes care of all the bills and expenses online and even sends them few thousand dollars. But I dont know what to do to bring back the trust and having him appreciate the efforts I am putting for him.... I am stuck......strange enough we have a loveless married life which i least expected when we moved to us for good..

Stuti

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Stuti,

Unfortuantly,that's how the situation in some of the houses.
    But when do you guys get into the topic of your MIL.Your husband is supported you when you are in india.But here,whatever it is,don't try to bring up your MIL topic and show her mistakes.
    Since he used for comforts in India,here he may getting stressed for new country and new responsabilities.
    May be ,he is in trasition mode and getting worked up.Don't talk anything about your MIL.Let him do whatever he wanted and see any change.

3. stuti

stuti Junior IL'ite

Hi Priya...Thanks for your quick reply. I agree that because my DH is not used to do any household work so even a small task like throwing the trash once a week aslo upsets him a lot. Dropping and picking baby from daycare , baby's frequent sickness due to being new in daycare etc makes him so mad. He says 3 times a day that he just wants to go back to india.
    The real reason is his mother's attitude and laziness but now he thinks coz i could not get along with her well so I am the culprit.
    I would also like to mention that his parents constantly hipnotize him...whenever DH gets a promotion or appreciation or good career oppertunity or even when i conceived and had a son, my In-laws always take the whole credit and say that because they pray for us and keep fast for our well being thats why he got promoted OR thats why we had a baby OR thats why I got a job in US...and my husband strongly beleives them and my husband says that its just because of his parents prayers and blesings, we are breathing and having a comfortable life.
    Can he not see that we have money but not love. We have luxery but not happiness ......

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Stuti,

I don't know where the issue is ,is that between men and women or is that the brough up in india.
    But somehow,women don't bring up there parents in there marraige but men do.
    Whatever he beleive,you don't get into that.Let him beleive whatever it is.

I feel,he is going though lot of changes,especially new environement,job and surrounding.it may take some time for you guys to adjust.
    May be you need to be little patience and never ever bring up your in-laws topic.Even he brough up just listen to him and if needed just prise your MIL and move on.But don't argue with him and it's not worth it.Because at end you are not going to acheive anything.

You need to work little more hard to shape your family.The credit can goes to you MIL but don't worry.
    Find different ways to manage time efficiently and your husband may take more time to adjust.See any activities would help him.Always initial years are depressing to adjust here.Just hang on and keep positive attitide.If you both get upset then it's difficult.

Keep good songs at home,keep home little pleasure,ignore small small things.See you get chance to work from home.That way you can take care of somethings.

Bottom line,he had given support and move to US.So whatever he feels ,let him but you don't try control his emotions about his mother.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

This is true!! Helping you guys is different and taking care of your kid in your absence is totally different..and also if your MIL has been socially very active, expecting her to do household chores and help you take care of your son is like a very WRONG EXPECTATION from your side..

I know I sound ABSURD when I said the above...but arent you feeling the same now..i.e wrong expectations from your husband..where he thinks you have to do everything at home???

So for the present situation you arein...why dont you try to hire a part time help atleast during weekends so that you can get some rest..and you dont have to push your hsuband to help you...

Next time he fights about his parents, say that...agreed its not their responsibility and you were wrong in expecting..no harm in accepting this infront of him...but at the same time tell him that taking care of your kid was responsibility of both father n mother i.e you and him..and only one is doing their job...convey this to him. that way you are accepting your fault on one side and showing that you can actually distinguish b/w what is right and wrong...and not that you are just against his parents..

Also please STOP saying how your inlaws are living lavishly etc...its none of your business...are your needs ignored? is your husband diverting all the money from you and your kid to his parents? are you supposed to answer him for every penny you spend? if this is not hte case...then please let go off this money thing.

Stuti..one thing you have to understand is he has been supporting you all this while...sure after he came here he is missing his parents...everyone misses their parents when they are far away isnt it??? so please understand that and try to console him that its ok to feel that way..and that why doesnt he call them? or have a webcam chat etc..act interested in his parents ..because they are not here....also remember one thing the more resistance you show towards his feelings the more he will think negative about you and will go far away from you.

6. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

I agree with him 100% on this, that your children are your, i.e. your's and your husband's responsibility, not your in-laws or parents.

I agree with Srividya and suggest you try her suggestion.

7. stuti

stuti Junior IL'ite

Thanks you all for your inputs.
    Well, to an extend you are right and i can also try to change myself.
    But I also dont think that taking care of our child is their responsibility.
    But what I meant was that when grandparents are living with their son (and not vice versa : They have their 2 bunglows rented out and earn all the rent) grandparents usually enjoy taking care of the grandchild. First child of the only son is usually an apple of grandparents eyes but here its not the case. Its not wrong on our part to expect some cooperation from in laws when they have all the time in the world, fit and healthy and just 52 y old. We tried to convince them to keep a maid (we will pay obviously) so that they dont have to do anything but MIL used to say that I go for parties and all so who will keep an eye on maid and she will steal things. so no help there. MY DH was totally with me in all these scenarios above and just wanted their little help so that both of us working and paying EMIs is easier. we never asked them to cutoff their social life.
    I think only I know how it feels when ur 5 month old infant has been crying and hungry for 4 hrs and noone at home to feed him . How my son used to be in Poop mess for hrs and cry and noone at home to clean him. FIL cud not do these things and MIL was never home.
    Well I might sound stubborn but there are so many other factors contributing to it. Dowry, so much expectation from my parents on festivals etc (i have no brother so my 61 yr old father still working ...no choice there). So I am sorry but I do feel jealous and bad for my parents compared to my ILs.
    And pls beleive me I swear when i say I had a c-section and I came home from Hoaspital 4 th day evening and by night I was in kitchen cooking and boiling milk !!

sorry if i sound too rigid

8. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Stuti,

After c-section, ur parents didnt help you?. In India as u said ur MIL doesnt look after ur baby properly, then who used to take care when u r in office?. As others said y u dont u look after ur baby for sometime so that u can search for a fulltime job after few days.....

9. stuti

stuti Junior IL'ite

@SriVidya: mu DH calls my in-laws almost every day and talks for hours....telling abt whats going on here and our sons activities etc

@Mehana : After c-section, my MIL didnt let me go to my parents and insisted that the custom is that if i get them a grandson then i have to stay at my sasural and also she wanted to show her friends that she is taking care of everything but actually she just used to watch tv all day and i was cooking(atleast for myself coz cannot eat anything and everything after delivery), wasing baby's nappies, and taking care of baby.

10. stuti

stuti Junior IL'ite

@SriVidya: I completely agree with you... "also remember one thing the more resistance you show towards his feelings the more he will think negative about you and will go far away from you. "

I just wonder why he was also so much against his mother when we were in india and he could see our son suffer. But now when we are away , he took a 360 degree turn and says that she is the most wonderful Dadi and mother anyone can have. I am curious that if I also have to be away from him to win his love and trust !!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010