1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce in US with a 6year old child in US

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Independentgal, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Independentgal

Independentgal Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am staying in Virginia ,US.I have so many problems with my husband.Finally I have decided to get separated and eventually file for divorce in a year.I am a very strong and independent woman who can easily get along socially and move on with single life.
    But I don't have a clue to what I can expect for my six year old daughter.
    Will she have friends like before when I am with my husband?We have lot of Indian families in our area.Will they behave and let their children behave same like before.I really need all of your suggestions on what to expect and what not to expect for my child in society?

1 person likes this.

2. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

Dear Op,

The behavior depends on the personality of ur friends. If they r ur true friends will behave even more nice with u and kid. If mean they might avoid.
    Not to scare but girls will have little difficult in this situations. Coz girls are girls , talking more chit chat, gossipetc.
    I have 2 nieces with whom I am more friends, they tell me all their issues , gossips girly talks. They do discuss all personal details. It will be during 9 10 age.
    At 6 not much personal except might ask where us ur dad. Prepare her to give a very easy answer and tell very casual so she doesn't take it as some serious problem

U r in USA and strong so that's sufficient for u to be happy.
    I wonder indians in US only think abt making friends with indians. Why not Americans when u decided to stay in this country. In ur situation making good American friends will be helpful.

Dont look desperate or eager to ur old friends, be busy go only if they invite
    Get Ur daughter more close to her class mates and join her more activities, at age 6-7 kids in US have 3 + activities.
    So join her so she get busy and also u get busy. Invite her classmates, activities friends for play dates. Both indian and American.

ALL THE BEST

QUOTE=Independentgal;3660504]Hi All,
    I am staying in Virginia ,US.I have so many problems with my husband.Finally I have decided to get separated and eventually file for divorce in a year.I am a very strong and independent woman who can easily get along socially and move on with single life.
    But I don't have a clue to what I can expect for my six year old daughter.
    Will she have friends like before when I am with my husband?We have lot of Indian families in our area.Will they behave and let their children behave same like before.I really need all of your suggestions on what to expect and what not to expect for my child in society?[/QUOTE]

4 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

6 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Chances are you and your daughter will experience something similar to what local people go through in such cases. Family friends will be a bit clueless on how to continue the socialization during the separation and after divorce. Should they invite him also or not. Will inviting all three of you get awkward or not. And so on. They may not mean to create a distance, but some reconfiguration may happen.

Come to think of it, there are 3 Indian women I know who are divorced with kids. Didn't know them before the divorces or separation. As kids get older, it is not necessary to get very close with the parents of kid's friends. Hi-bye friendship is good enough.

Given the self-confidence your post reflects, things'll be fine with respect to your DD's social and school life. The rest will also fall into place - the world often treats you like you treat yourself. Nice member id you have chosen.

1 person likes this.
  5. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Being single / Separated is not a sin. It can happen to anyone. So no need to feel guilty about it.

On the other hand, children needs care and support from both parents. Children are the most affected victims in an unsuccessful marriage. So consider separation as a last option if you have children.

6. stronggirl2000

stronggirl2000 New IL'ite

Hi dear op - I am in very similar situation. I am in USA too and started divorce last year only. We have been settled in USA for 15 years and i have kids little older than you.

There will be some friends who will favor your husband, some you. It also depends how professionally you two behave. Currently me and my ex go to same potluck parties as we live in small area and we both decided we already lost so much - dont want to loose friends too.

You will have some very close gal friends - who will be there for you either way.
    I personally did not felt anybody was not nice to kids. Every body was very nice to kids - as they felt bad for kids. So dont worry from that perspective. But yes you might loose few friends. But again be professional - that is the key

Independentgal and Priya16 like this.
  7. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

True! :hatsoff

OP, your self confidence will pave the way to your daughter's social connections. If you are sad, apologetic, feel guilty or inferior, she will too imbibe those feelings and her feelings will be reflected in how the society treats her. You are confident, have a no-nonsense attitude and know what you want from life. You are going to raise a confident, self sufficient and independent daughter.

Don't worry a bit about how society will treat her. She will conquer the world :)

Independentgal and Rihana like this.
  8. Varunvedanth

Varunvedanth New IL'ite

I would suggest you to move to some other place and start making friends.
    U may already know, here in US ppl just make friends to find friends for their kids, so it should be fine.
    Staying in same place does really have impact.
    Ppl who want to show condolences due to their poor choice of words will hurt you and it just impacts the kids behave as well.