1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by goldengirl826, Nov 5, 2015.

1. goldengirl826

goldengirl826 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I have decided to apply for divorce and am at my parents house. Therefore I contacted few advocates in Chennai to file a divorce petition. However when I spoke to one advocate…she was so Rude. She had 3 assistants around her and whenever she told something rude, she will look at her assistants. They will pass some comments. When we asked her about the cost of the service…she did not tell and said after filing the petition. She will take 50% upfront fees. Moreover we asked on what grounds, she will file….she said we will think about that later.
    Next we consulted another advocate..he asked us to send a letter to my in-laws and he drafted this letter and charged 1750. He did explain few things…however he is more inclined towards me going and living with my husband.
    Hence the previous lady seems good in her job, but she is very rude. Already we are very sad due to all, in addition to that she keeps pinpointing that I am very dumb and that my dad is confused. However my conscious telling me not to approach her to file the petition.
    Please let me know if all the divorce advocates are this way, and suggest few people in Chennai.

2. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Please do not approach her if you do not like her. It happened to me as well. I first met a lawyer as relatives referred her. She was rude and made us to approach her thrice. I immediately dropped her and contacted another advocate.

3. introspection

introspection Silver IL'ite

In my personal opinion, if no kids are involved and there is no domestic violence, then its better to file for mutual divorce, since a contested divorce is a long drawn out process. Both parties, can delay each other intentionally or unintentionally.

I also read a news item about Chennai family courts, that the number of judges were insufficient and there was a long backlog of pending cases. Kindly verify.

But on the contrary, if there is DV involved, kids involved, EMA involved then you will have to go for a contested divorce. The choice of lawyer will also affect how sooner you get your divorce. Not all lawyers are good human beings, and not all lawyers are competent. You will definitely have to spend money in lawyers fees and other arbitrary fees. If you are not convinced with a particular lawyer, do not opt for her.

First send a lawyers notice, and see how your in-laws respond. Tell them of your intention to file for maintenance and alimony, demand for a place to stay in.

Once you have made a decision to separate, be ready for a long drawn out procedure. Be strong and God bless.

PS : Im assuming you have already made all efforts of reconciliation.

4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Saddened to find that you had to choose this path. followed on and off reg ur problem, well take care.

5. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

Read ur previous threads, don't rush. Stay away few months. Dont think abt separation in anger.
    Not having kids 3 yrs is very frustrating which caused misunderstanding. So cool down and think