1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Want to know whether I was right

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Barupavi, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

Hi all I am very new to this forum and even I joined this forum to get rid of my confusion. I got married 2 years ago and now I have got divorce from my husband. Here is my story and bear with my boring one.
    He is working in abroad and we never met each other before marriage. We spoke only through video call. Ours was an arranged marriage. I never had complaints regarding his handsomeness and from the day it was decided that he is my soul mate I loved him like anything and gave him all my love. But then I didn’t know that he is not satisfied with my beauty or outlook. And to your info I am a good looking girl with good complexion and I myself know I am not looking the way he defines me. But every time he complains me about my looks, I used to lose my confidence and got hurt very deeply. He never fondled me in our relation as expected of any newlywed couple. He started talking about his family even on the first night of our wedding and he scolded me. In our honeymoon also, he hurted me by his words.
    We lived in abroad for only four months and in those 4 months he used to quarrel with me over petty things. I agree that I even fought back with him but then also literally I can’t say I fought, I just replied for his words in anger. And that all happened only for few days until I came to know about his ruggedness. To explain you properly I could quote few examples for his harsh behaviour , he broke a fan, he removed my mangalsutra, he bent my finger and he hit me badly inside an elevator. And I could really tell no reasons for these all and things went wrong only when I start to converse with him and try to make him understand my feelings. Just while conversing he will burst into anger and he will start doing like this. This has happened nearly six to seven times in those 4 months. But that was too much for a person like me who never did anything wrong to him except pouring showers of love over him. Above all he used very bad and filthy words which I even could not quote here. But he never apologized to me for any of his wrong behaviours and he didn’t even realize. I came to know that he was feeling inferior to me and he had a fear over me that I would dominate him in all aspects. And also he thought that I would separate him from his family. But I never had a thought like that and I used to spend sleepless nights feeling very depressed. At last I concluded that these all happens because he has been brought up in such a way and also in such an environment. Besides these things their family members were also not good. His father’s personal behaviour is very bad. He had a women harassment complaint on him. Finally I returned to India for some reasons.
    I never informed my parents about these. I told about all that happened to me after reaching India. They were literally shocked to hear this and they informed my husband’s grand father. After knowing that I have told all the things to my family my husband got furious and again scolded me badly. That time he was there in abroad. Then I stopped talking with him just to give a break. But after reaching here he came to our home along with his parents and he hit my dad, my sister and her baby also. I was totally broken. He then went to police station and gave a complaint that we made a conspiracy and hit him badly. He stated many unbelievable complaints over me in the police station. He told me that we only hit him and tried to make me fool. He never apologized to me or accepted anything he has done to me. But he asked me to come along with him.
    I was totally broken and I never wanted to be with him again after this incident. Then he left me and went abroad.We were separated for one year. He continued to message me requesting me to come with him. But he never accepted things he did. At the same time he and his father made a lot of complaints(nearly 10 in different places) on me and my family, including one murder attempt case and one claiming that I am a fraud and married him to steal their money. I came to a decision that any girl would arrive in this circumstance and decided to part from him and applied for divorce. He suddenly accepted and gave me divorce.
    I knew that this is the only way to lead my life in a peaceful way but still I feel guilty that I must have adjusted to all circumstances and lived along with him. I don’t know why I have such thoughts. I feel that I am madly in love with him but he is no way worth for it.
    Now I write this to know what I did was right or not ? I didn’t write all the things in detail. Please judge me correctly. Waiting for all your reply just to heal myself. Thank u all in advance.

2. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

what you did was absolutely correct
    If you would have adjusted and moved ahead with him, you would have ended in hell !!!

Thank god that you are out of this mess and try to live new life positively..
    Take time to heal and be independent before you start any new relationship !

Good Luck to you dear

2 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Your only fault was to not call the police when he hit you This man should be in jail.

As for still loving him,well,Indian women seem to specialize in this love for their abusers. May be this is the reason why India is still considered one of the most dangerous places in the world for women.

Best Wishes to you Op. Choosing the right person sometimes is not in our hands But we can always choose what is right and what is wrong behavior towards us. Hope you learn to value yourself more and find a person who values you as the wonderful person you are.Think of this as a nightmare that is over now.

Were you right?
    Yes you were.You had no other choice.

5 people like this.
  4. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Bronze IL'ite

I am not even sure why you are questioning your decision to divorce him. No person in their right mind would have stayed in that relationship. You did the right thing and probably should have done it earlier. Not only your husband's but your FIL's actions are unpardonable. Please do not blame yourself.

3 people like this.
  5. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for taking time to reply me. This means a lot to me.But if u have time could you please answer my one more question. When we were departed he sent me a lot of messages telling that he miss me and sent his photos in which he has lost weight. But at the same time he kept giving complaints in police station stating that then only I ll live along with him. Why he did so?
    If u have time pls reply me mam

6. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for concern and replying to me.means a lot .thank u once again

7. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

OP, Thank god that you are out of the abusive relationship.. what you did was the right thing to do and you don't need anyone's approval for the same. Please don't confuse your emotion as love. Keep moving on.. All the best!!

narcisst.jpg

2 people like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

He is an abuser op. He had a wife who took care of him and he abused you. He missed some one like you who could be abused. Most abusers tend to try show a soft side to try and lure the victim back . It is a cycle.

He was just trying to save his back.He knows that what he did was punishable heavily under the law. He could go to jail not just in the country he is in ,but also in India. By filing cases against you ,he was preempting any such case filing from you. If he filed cases first,your cases would not have as much effect.This itself shows that he was not serious about a getting back together. He was just trying to stay out of jail.Looks like he got a good lawyer to advice him how to stay out of jail after abusing wife and her family.

It is his luck that he married someone as docile as you.There are a lot of women who would have sent guys like him to jail for hitting them and their family members.

5 people like this.
  9. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

@yellowmango
    Yes as u said I have well behaved like an Indian woman...now
    I am out of the prison..thanks for spending time for me.Now am out of confusion. Hope to think better and clear.really meant a lot to me.thanks a lot:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

@shruthisp
    Yes I must convince that this never happened and I have to move on...thanks a lot for spending ur time.means a lot to me