1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking after mother in law even after Divorce

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by iyerviji, Jun 8, 2015.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to my thread @Neeta dear , true dear she will be an example to others

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A lady who is strong enough to smile through such a life and never grumble did not have the strength to go out and make some basic living for herself? Her only non-choice was financially unwell parents? I am sorry, I find it hard to commend such fortitude. I would rather respect a woman who proudly walks out of such a marriage, takes up _any_ job, even a maidservant job, but is proudly independent.

If she takes care of in-laws even after divorce, that is great too. A separate greatness. It is nice if a relationship with in-laws doesn't depend on the marriage itself and continues beyond it.

Smiling through such treatment from husband is not 'greatness.' And good that it is lesser seen now-a-days.

4 people like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for the late reply @Rihana dear ,I agree with you that she should have made some basic living for herself

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If the mother in laws are good to dils...such relationships are more likely to happen irrespective of the dils relationship with husband. The ball is mostly in the elders court in the beginning of the marriage and it is sad that so many mils choose to try and control dils instead of bonding with them.

In this case it looks like the woman did not feel she had a choice outside of this home. Good that they got along well(hope so).

Viji maam...I have also heard of a case like this in my home town(I don't know them personally,my mother told me about this. )

A girl was married to a young Army officer.She got widowed within a few years of marriage.She had no children. She got all the insurance money and the widows pension.She lived with her in laws for a few years,till her parents finally convinced her to remarry.

Before marrying...she transferred all the money she got after her husband's death to her in laws name .Her new in laws are also in the same town. When she comes to meet them,she makes sure she goes and meets her inlaws from her first marriage and take care of basic logistics.I don't know how much of this is true...but it is a really feel good story.

4 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @yellowmango dear for your feedback. Yes dear since her parents were not well off she stayed back with her mil after divorce and sometme later her husband also died.

Good to know that the girl married again and before marriage she transferred all the money to her in law's name. Glad that she meets her old in laws after marriage

7. kitkat119

kitkat119 Junior IL'ite

Im divorced and I keep in touch with my ex father in law as he always told me I was like his own children to him and gave me moral support in worse times.he's now living alone,I now go on some occasions only.

3 people like this.
  8. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

I think many such people do exists. I am sure her MIL have earned it.

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Welcome tomy thread and glad to know that you are still in touch with your ex father in law .

1 person likes this.