1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding my Stuff - Need your Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by SimpleStraight, Mar 19, 2015.

1. SimpleStraight

SimpleStraight Silver IL'ite

@Rihanna - Thanks for your response.

Divorce is being finalized in India.

If I follow the law of land both have to exchange the articles.

They had spent for Marriage and we too spent for the marriage.

I definitely believe if we put on paper she has to give me.

No Alimony.

Always like your responses in IL...Thanks for spending time on IL and spreading your knowledge and your kind words to fellow IL's.

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    I say let it go not because it's tough for her. It's tough for you in particular. The moment you decided you want her v out of life have minimum interactions even through lawyer. Every interaction will bring you back some unnecessary memory which you should forget. Let go off these things. Even if you get it back you are never going to use them. Most likely you will donate to charity why struggle ? Part with dignity.

3. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

You are not even divorced and thinking about the matrimonial market?

sindmani and kitty89 like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Unless you have bought land/ property/ shares etc in her name, I would suggest let go of items below 50k!!
    Those items won't hold any good memories for you. Listen to your mom!

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP mentioned about matrimonial market in response to this question:
    Isn't OP's response fair enough? When told in an unpolished way that the wife after divorce will have the tag of 'not virgin' he brought up the fact that he also will be considered second-hand.

9 people like this.
  6. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Let go. Buy peace with them. Take it as you donated them away.

1 person likes this.
  7. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

@Rihana

The divorce is not final. This immediate response of the "matrimonial market" seems a bit strange to me. His response may be fair but in my opinion it is in bad taste. There are many ways to handle the question. I find his responses a bit petty, but then maybe I am biased.

8. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

I think you want all those that you gave her, not because of it's value for money but because you are angry on her and want to show it this way. Hmmm..

It is better to let it go. Whatever peace of mind you lost is lost. You are not going to get it back by claiming all those that you gave her. Your anger is not going to subside either.

Probably you can claim the Gold and Silver stuff that you gave her, if she claims the Gold that she may have spent on you for wedding..like gold chain, ring etc.

Otherwise..Let it go..In life, 'material' things should be considered 'immaterial' in exchange of peace of mind and happiness.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, it is OK to want back these items. What it boils down to is why is the divorce happening, how long you were married, in what ways did she contribute to the marriage, and how exactly are you going to get these items back. You say "took stuff" - not clear if you guys are already living separately, or still sharing an apartment.

If you can get them back easily enough, do so. Divorce is not a time to be extra nice. Your interests come first. If you feel you deserve to get those back, pursue whatever _reasonable_ options you have. Do so without any guilt. Just don't stoop so low that you begin to despise yourself. No need to tell mother or sister every detail of how you go about getting any of those items or equivalent money. They must already be hurting at what you are going through.

Sorry to hear about your divorce. Hopefully, you will be able to put this behind you and maybe even remember only the good times.

5 people like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Guys, lets not to be biased about his gender.

He is getting a divorce. It is equally harder for men too. He is emotionally and to some extend physically is vulnerable due to this marriage. He further claims, he went on to purchase certain "stuff" to his wife despite of having financial struggles. He seems to have done some odd jobs to meet these "needs"; thus his expectation at this present state of mind is "just normal".

What would be your response if this thread is started by a woman. I did some odd jobs in the US to buy something expensive for my H- with whom I was married for a short time. Due to physical and emotional abuse, I am divorcing him. Now that, I want the "stuffs" or equivalent money spent on them back. I lost my virginity and I will be considered second hand in the marital market.

Now that, we all will pour out sympathy, and ask the poor woman to stay strong. I am sure, many would at least justify her intention to get the "stuff" back, no matter what she received from her soon-to-be ex husband.

Come on guys... In every marriage there will be so many gives and takes by both partners. If the gives and takes are reasonable, there won't be any questions about separation.
    If the marriage is at the verge of separation, it only means there is nothing pleasant to keep it going. Then what is the point of thinking on that lines.

OP wants his hard earned money back. He believes all the expensive gifts (what is expensive for him may seem petty for some of us) to be returned because he invested all of them to build a good foundation for their marriage life. When there is no marriage, I mean no building... What is the point of keeping this foundation?

So, in my POV... OP is right. But it is not easy and it will cause a lot of negativity in the process.

Dear OP,
    If I were you, I would leave everything up to God.. You have wasted your precious life with this woman. What more precious these "items" could bring to your life. Let's leave all together, and start afresh life after divorce. Good luck