1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance of remarriage? Feeling hopeless!!

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by divyanka555, Feb 16, 2015.

1. divyanka555

divyanka555 New IL'ite

Thank you so much, Viswa. Yes, my marriage was a traumatic experience since Day 1 almost, and subsequently led to an even more difficult divorce. You've touched upon a few very important points which had indeed been bothering me so much in life. One is that a girl like me is expected to be subservient and take the sh*t of people in order to be accepted by them, just because I am divorcee. Really, I have always been made to feel that way, even with my ex-H. See, not only had he always abused and tormented me, but he seriously also made me feel as if he did me a great favour by marrying me, even though HE had no grounds of saying that, since he was my first. All of the men I have encountered next are surprisingly similar! I just have to break this trend of falling for the same type of guy!

Ever since my divorce I have somewhat gone into a shell and don't even prefer to tell the truth about my marital status to most people. I fear that the slightest tussle or fallout with ANYONE, whether it's a friend or a guy I am dating, might cause them to rub my past onto my face and say something like "See, this is why you're divorced." For that reason I am even unable to be assertive.

Both of the men I have dated after my divorce have made me feel that my personality is to blame for my divorce, simply when all I did was say a strict NO to any of their unfair demands or put-downs, or called them out on their dishonesty. It's so tough! I am surrounded by 99.9% of these types of people here where I live, seemingly.

But I am working on myself. Working on becoming stronger, more confident, more content etc.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

My elderly father who has old mentality (you can read my previous posts at leisure) even told me this one thing. Most normal people would rather go for an older, used, high-quality car like Mercedes Benz, than fresh, brand new, never used Toyota Corolla. Similar thing applies to man getting wife, even an old-fashioned Indian male.

See, God's blessings can beat out the old-fashioned mentality. In old days, all women had was their reputation, and knowledge of household tasks. Now things are different .......

I am learning to think of myself has high-quality, slightly used, but still shiny Mercedes Benz. And I think younger guys like older women with pizzaz, and most younger guys have never been married, so they are the fresh ones.

How times and circumstances turns the tables????

The healing takes time. I find myself cycling between sadness, exuberance, and even sheer anger (I imagine myself being mean and disrespectful to relatives and new people I will meet for matrimonial, and I pray to God to calm me down).

Ok, back to my hobbies now .......

1 person likes this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You are on the right track here. Stick to your guns. Marriage is a consensual deal, so dont get pushed into it.

As for your parents, try to dissect why they are doing this. More likely they are wondering 'what will happen to you after we are gone', 'how long can you remain single and not 'settled' and the like. Parents often feel their 'duty' is not complete till dd is married off safely. OP, These are normal parental type fears. It is up to you to bring them out of this kind of mindset, show them you can and will take care of yourself, that you are most capable of it and that it is a better outcome than being unhappy married off to some abusive person. so try to address the concerns behind their pushing and get rid of their worries one by one instead of simply reacting to their pushing by saying yes.

4. divyanka555

divyanka555 New IL'ite

Thank you so much, HasteRaho! Excellent replies. You've given some wonderful advice which I will follow. You've even touched upon some valuable points which I totally agree with. The world is indeed full of hypocrites...I couldn't agree more!! Believe me when I say that this guy has such an impressive presence on Facebook and social media, is well liked by his peers, is the go-to person for advice for boys and girls alike, is working towards womens empowerment and conducting lots of research on it, has supposedly helped many of his female friends get out of abusive marriages/relationships and is like a confidante and protector to them. Therefore it came as the biggest shock to me that a guy of that type would have such narrow-minded views... although he kept asserting that those views were not his at all, but rather of Indian society in general. I mean, I could have used that line you suggested ("Ok, I know now why you're single") on him but thing is, he was pretending that those ominous predictions of his didn't reflect his own views but rather society in general. He was trying his best to sound like a wellwisher who was simply trying to educate me! There was no way I could have used a sassy attitude either. Since day 1 whenever I tried to be assertive, he suppressed that in me and told me not to behave with an attitude like that, as that would only chase away "true friends and wellwishers" (like him, supposedly) from my life!

Can I imagine a man like this being a father? Yes, surprisingly I can. My own father is exactly the same....abusive, narcissistic, small minded, misogynistic, arrogant etc. Because of him, I have had a highly troubled and traumatic childhood, and grew up with extremely low self esteem. Leaving my abusive husband meant returning home to my abusive father once again! You said to remove these types of people away from my life right away. Right now I am trying my best to come out of the clutches of my dad, by working more on my financial independence and career. I feel that should be my first step, and would solve most ongoing problems (so sorry, in case I sound like namak haram daughter of my parents!).

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I will try my best not to consider myself a failure anymore. Only I know how much strength and courage it took me to leave my abusive marriage! I was always a one-man woman and married my husband for love only, and still cannot digest the fact that I have been through a divorce!
    I am obviously no longer in contact with my latest "jerk" anymore, as I mentioned in my first post. He cut all contacts and blocked me everywhere. He lives and studies in a different city, btw. Yes I miss some of his jokes and funny antics, but whatever..! I'm moving forward.

1 person likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

OP- This is the underlying problem! You need to work on your confidence and self-respect. A divorce didn't make you any less than your peers/ buddies/potential dates. If anything, you might have learned from your experience. Once you accept the reality and start talking about your divorce openly in a way that you convey to people that though it was a bad phase of your life, you don't let this one bad phase in your life define yourself/ your life.

How long have you been divorced? How long after your divorce these "rebounds" happened (I am saying rebound because it seems to me you haven't come out of pain of divorce yet and trying to fill that void).

When I finally decided to separate and filed for divorce, it was hard for me to accept the truth. After I got my decree, I felt that I was free and it was done. Since that day, I held my head high and never let anyone made me feel a lesser human being. People showed pity, I smiled and told them I was very happy. People tried to take advantage, I gave them the look that told them, "I was not available". I bluntly told a few men to stay away and few women to not worry about my future.
    parents feel that they need to see you settled but better be open and let your parents know that you'll marry when it is right time, not just to fulfill another obligation. I dated one guy within 6 months of my divorce. He was an Indian and extremely nice and he knew about my divorce. He was great, absolutely wonderful man but we parted our ways because I was not ready to leave my career and move to his place and be an H4 dependent and also I was still not completely out of the memories of that bad phase. When I met my current husband (~3 years post divorce), things were much different.
    So, give yourself time. you will meet some wonderful (and many not-so-wonderful) people esp when you are not looking for a possible husband material. Let it take a natural course and don't let anybody hurt your self respect.
    Good luck!

3 people like this.
  6. pamela1234mod

pamela1234mod New IL'ite

You have just been very unlucky to meet a man who seems very unfeeling and coarse.
    You are young still. Wait for a kind and caring person who will come along.
    Meanwhile dont give way to negative thoughts. You are an accomplished personable
    woman attractive to males. Just dont be in a hurry.

1 person likes this.
  7. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

Thanks to your stars and fate that you came out of abusive relationship before having baby. Again thanks to these guys who showed their real colors before taking your advantage sexually.

There are real good men in town. you just have to find correct one. Why don't you find job and move out of India!! You might get broad-minded guys. Wait for right kind of person. None of these guys deserve you.

I know a girl who walked out abusive marriage with a 2 yr old girl child. A never married guy came down to her house for proposal of marriage. With his family support he married her with due respect, they are happily settled in Bangalore now with their just born son and 4yr old gal.

8. divyanka555

divyanka555 New IL'ite

Yes I thank my stars daily! I might even have gotten killed by my ex-H... that's how evil he is!! And needless to say, I am getting better and better at recognizing the true nature of people with each and every experience.

Thanks for your inputs, and for sharing that story. Kindly note, however, that I don't wish to move out of India. I wish to settle in India only. I have lived abroad for sometime, and I must say that India is the only place where I feel truly at home. If there are broad-minded guys out there like others are saying, then there has to be some in India itself...!

2 people like this.
  9. TeluguAmmai

TeluguAmmai New IL'ite

Your ex-BF is a scumbag. However, my suggestion to you is to disclose your marital status to your prospective match upfront so you don't break your heart later on. If the guy is into you, he will take it further - if not, he will show his character. At least, you will know upfront from informing him your status upfront.

HTH